By Invitation Only

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 cvtheoman

cvtheoman

• Members
  • 256 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 10:08 PM

Ixxis & Su's Floating Sabacc Game is a sidebar in the Sons of Fortune book, speaking about an invite-only sabacc game.  My players are chasing a gambler who they believe to be attending this game, and I was trying to think of ways they might procure an invitation.  I know this is a widely-used trope, especially in heist films and such, but I can't seem to think of anything.  Any thoughts?

(and yes, there may be another way of getting in: act as service-people, or crash the party, or something, but I'm specifically looking for a way to get an invite to seem legit.)

The Rule of Cool trumps.  Math is such a tool.

Remember to have fun.  After all, this is a game.

#2 2P51

2P51

• Members
  • 3,607 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 10:12 PM

Anyway they could stage a series of big gambling wins and portray themselves, or at least one of them, as a high roller?  

Edited by 2P51, 23 June 2014 - 10:12 PM.

• opsnafu likes this

My group's Obsidian Portal campaign site: It's All in the Trigger Squeeze

#3 awayputurwpn

awayputurwpn

• Members
  • 1,901 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 01:23 AM

Impressing the invitation-giver seems to be the best way. Or find some other way to get on their good side.

Otherwise, perhaps slicing a computer system and fabricating an invite? Or stealing someone else's invitation/identity. Or bribing the guy at the door.
  • washer likes this

#4 shadeleader

shadeleader

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 07:50 AM

Impressing the invitation-giver seems to be the best way. Or find some other way to get on their good side.

Otherwise, perhaps slicing a computer system and fabricating an invite? Or stealing someone else's invitation/identity. Or bribing the guy at the door.

Impress someone who's got some leverage on the invitation-giver - it's easier and it puts an extra layer of insulation in between the party and the person that's going to come down on them when they inevitably wreck the game to collar their mark. 

If they do some research into who some of the regulars in the game are, maybe throw them a crooked politician or another 'underworld tourist' type, let them figure out a way to get into that person's debt or con him in such a way that he thinks inviting them to the game is *his* idea.

• awayputurwpn and cvtheoman like this

#5 Nate

Nate

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 08:33 AM

Perhaps they could encounter a desperate individual who's short on credits but trying to earn a stake because he/she has an invitation. One of the PCs could clean out the unlucky invitee, who then bets the invitation on one last wager.

-Nate

• awayputurwpn likes this

#6 Ghostofman

Ghostofman

• Members
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 11:37 AM

Impersonate someone who has an invite already. (Finally a REAL use of the disguise kit)

Get on the "waiting list" and assassinate an invitee to promote yourself to invited.

Hack the Gibson and put yourself on the list.

Covertly compromise the game location and offer a new one for the low price of an invite.

Covertly compromise the game location and make sure the gambler you're chasing doesn't get the memo about the location change. Then wait for him to come to you at the old location.

• awayputurwpn, whafrog, kaosoe and 1 other like this

MAGIC HEADPHONES PROTECT ME FROM THE SPACE!

#7 2P51

2P51

• Members
  • 3,607 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 12:13 PM

Could run it like that Lando novel and have the last seat at the main game chosen by a lottery gambling tourney. Have the characters win by straight up gambling or cheating.

Edited by 2P51, 24 June 2014 - 12:14 PM.

• awayputurwpn, shadeleader and washer like this

My group's Obsidian Portal campaign site: It's All in the Trigger Squeeze

#8 Roman Virtue

Roman Virtue

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 04:06 PM

Save the life of someone (or their loved ones) who has a LOT of clout or is a high profile regular of the game?

#9 digeridork

digeridork

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 06:42 PM

Golden Ticket situation. It doesn't matter who has it, so long as they present the ticket they get in. A lot of mileage could be had out of how many times one or more of those tickets change hands. You definitely need a Hutt in there whose had his ticket stolen and wants it back or replaced and his people don't much care how they get it.

#10 progressions

progressions

• Members
  • 1,661 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 11:22 PM

Do the PCs know about the game and they're trying to get an invitation?

Or are you trying to find a narrative way to get the PCs an invitation to the game which they don't know about yet?

EOTE Styles and Dice Symbols for Obsidian Portal

Our group's EOTE Obsidian Portal: Explorers on the Edge

#11 Sturn

Sturn

• Members
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 06:09 AM

Do it Count of Monte Cristo style.

Pick the most charming PC and deck him/her out as a flamboyant noble from XobscureplanetX. Other PCs get involved as the noble's entourage, making fake credentials, "borrowing" a stylish speeder, obtaining expensive outfits, the speeder's chauffeur, bodyguards, etc.

• awayputurwpn likes this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS