Photo

Deathwatch new edition, or additional rules?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Reclusiarch

Reclusiarch

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 02:27 PM

Hello everyone!

I've been a huge fan of the Deathwatch RPG and I'm about to start a new campaign after a bit of a hiatus. During my time away from Deathwatch both Only War and Black Crusade have been released with what seems to be updated rules on the 40k formula. So, have there been any words on Deathwatch getting a new edition or perhaps getting an errata to keep it up to date to books like Black Crusade? As far as I understand it, things have been become more streamlined, more logical and just more balanced in Black Crusade than in Deathwatch.

That said, if a new version is not on the way, is it possible to use the Black Crusade rules (or at least part of them) in a game of Deathwatch to keep it more up to date? Anyone had any experience with this?

Thanks!

/David

#2 Lynata

Lynata

• Members
  • 2,932 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 04:23 PM

Greetings!

I'm not sure if the term "40k formula" would be correct. Yes, there has been a constant development/evolution of the basic rules, but I'm not sure it would be correct to say that DW is "outdated" - simply because these books (very much like the rest of the franchise) do not represent a uniform, consistent approach to the setting, but rather a more focused, perspective-based take, hand-tailored to the theme they serve. For this reason, every game has a number of unique mechanics that are present only there, such as the Squad Modes for DW, Comrades in Only War, mutations and rituals in Black Crusade, etc.

That being said, if you really like an aspect of another game - such as, in the case of Black Crusade, the freeform leveling - then by all means, try and houserule them into your DW game! If you go with the BC rules as a whole, though, be prepared to miss out on various DW-specific mechanics, whilst simultaneously having to deal with other, new features designed for use by heretics rather than loyalists.

And on a sidenote .. I think that, in a way, DW is meant to be "not very balanced" in terms of allowing the player characters to kick all sorts of butt, even moreso than in any of the other games. It's a special, thematic approach where Space Marines are portrayed as incredibly powerful gods of war, rather than a more nuanced version you may find elsewhere.

You could compare this to how two different novels portray an army, all depending on who the protagonist is, and the author's own preferences.

If you expand on your feelings regarding the things you criticised (what you mean exactly when talking of streamlining, logic and balance), perhaps people could offer you more constructive advice on how to proceed?

Edited by Lynata, 23 June 2014 - 04:26 PM.

• SonofDorn likes this
current 40k RPG character: Aura Vashaan, Astromancer Witch-Priestess
previous characters: Captain Elias (Celestial Lions Chapter -- debriefed), Comrade-Trooper Dasha Malenko (1207th Valhallan Ice Warriors -- KIA), Sister Elana (Order of the Sacred Rose -- assassinated), Leftenant Darion Baylesworth (Rogue Trader Artemisia -- retired), Taleera "Raven" Nephran (Hive Ganger & Inquisitorial Assassin -- mindwiped)

#3 computertrucker

computertrucker

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 06:16 AM

I personally hope that they are going to streamline the rules with a new edition. Now don't get me wrong. I love deathwatch however I would definately like a more universal system between the different campaign settings. As it stands now trying to bring characters over from the other settings is like creating a mosh pit where nothing really fits. It takes a lot of work.

I get the fact that deathwatch is supposed to make the characters seem badass in comparison to the other campaign settings. However I see no reason they can't do that with a more streamlined system that applies to all the campaign settings. Also with all the errata that has been done, things within deathwatch alone don't always scale correctly.

So a new edition IMHO is needed very badly. Just creating new rules as an addendum would just cause for rules bloat and more confusion.

#4 SonofDorn

SonofDorn

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 09:47 AM

I wouldn't mind seeing a new Core Rulebook, but I'd much rather see more adventures with detailed maps, with additional Chapter rules (I know a few of my friends would die to see the Relictors, Soul Drinkers, or Iron Snakes get some love), and certainly new adversaries, such as the Hrud.

"The soul of the Imperial Fist can be found in his sword."

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS