After Force and Destiny

• Please log in to reply
134 replies to this topic

#1 edisung

edisung

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 02:35 AM

So with GenCon coming up, it's hard not to imagine that we'll soon be gifted with the final Beta in the original trilogy, Force and Destiny.  We will all finally be able to satisfy our force-sensitive brothers and sisters, allowing them to pursue the path to becoming jedi knights (or sith lords) that has thus far eluded us all.  Having anticipated this for some months now, I can't help but to think of those wonderful months after Force and Destiny officially releases, perhaps each month filled with a supplement or adventure for each of the three core systems.

That will surely be an exciting time, but I've thought of a time even further down the road, a couple of years further.  When all the careers and specializations have been accounted for, when the basic grit of each system has been satisfied, and when we still want more.  Will we find ourselves in a similar position to how we felt before the prequel films' releases, wanting more Star Wars stories and settings and adventures?

I know that I could keep playing EotE/AoR/F&D until my core books were tattered messes, though I would still like to see FFG continue with such great skill at recreating the vast tapestry that Star Wars has become and take it to even further detail.  Is there a possibility that they could consider a Clone Wars Core system?  A Dark Times?  The Old Republic?

Once Episode VII releases, we will all have a clearer picture and understanding of what happens after RotJ, especially with the EU relegated to Legends now.  The big picture that is Star Wars in epic widescreen detail soon will have new opportunities for us to adventure within but will it only be through the mind's eye of a few brilliant GMs who have estimated their best resources to stat out these exciting eras of galactic history? Or perhaps might we hope that FFG would see an opportunity to expand on their wonderful telling of the galaxy's "lesser known" stories and mythological heroes.

If FFG someday announced that they were making a core rulebook set during another era of galactic history, which era do you want to see the most or think would work the best?

#2 Col. Orange

Col. Orange

• Members
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 02:43 AM

Those sound like sourcebooks rather than stand-alone games, to me.  AoR Soldier specs look perfectly fine for Old Republic Soldier specs, for example.

• Sturn, Josep Maria and Shamrock like this

What's written above is meant with love

#3 swheelock

swheelock

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 03:34 AM

2nd Edition, baby!

• Zar, Jamwes, kaosoe and 2 others like this

#4 DanteRotterdam

DanteRotterdam

• Members
  • 974 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 03:42 AM

I am still thinking that an Imperial Core Rule Book would be a hot seller...

(Please refrain from the usual "but with a little work you could do an imperial campaign already"-responses, I know you could.)

• segara82, Revanchist, FreeXenon and 2 others like this

#5 Krieger22

Krieger22

• Members
  • 673 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 03:47 AM

I think it's pretty unlikely that FFG will release more Core rulebooks. My bet, provided they retain the lisence when it expires, is that they'll keep releasing career splatbooks for all careers in all core books, plus more sourcebooks for regions of space and other things. And more adventures, of course.

• Sturn, Josep Maria and RLogue177 like this

#6 DanteRotterdam

DanteRotterdam

• Members
  • 974 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 04:03 AM

I think it's pretty unlikely that FFG will release more Core rulebooks. My bet, provided they retain the lisence when it expires, is that they'll keep releasing career splatbooks for all careers in all core books, plus more sourcebooks for regions of space and other things. And more adventures, of course.

Yeah, but does things are pretty much a given so that is not reall "a bet" is it? :)

• edisung likes this

#7 That Blasted Samophlange

That Blasted Samophlange

• Members
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 04:56 AM

Id like if they released generic time period books. I could buy a kotor one to burn, and sequel trilogy to explore.
  • Col. Orange, FreeXenon, kaosoe and 2 others like this
You're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point if EU.

#8 Col. Orange

Col. Orange

• Members
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 05:56 AM

Id like if they released generic time period books. I could buy a kotor one to burn, and sequel trilogy to explore.

But TBS - personal force-fields (which are ultra-specific about what they protect against), billions of cortosis-alloy blades, kewl gadgets to let your lightsaber stun people - what's not to love?  [cringe]

(I actually had fun with the XBox games (the evil scheme of the 2nd one aside), but there was a lot of crap "RPGs have to have this stuff" crowbarred in.)

• That Blasted Samophlange and Tashiro31 like this

#9 sithlord71

sithlord71

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 06:23 AM

Some source books of the following would add more to the games.

1:A type of adversary book.One which covers a variety of creatures,enemies and mounts.

2:A type of vehicle book.One which covers perhaps numerous vehicles,star ships,ect.Perhaps depicting the ships found in both the saga movies and expanded universe.(not duplicating those that would already be included in books released.)

3:A sith or Empire based book.

4: (although not a book), a pull out galaxy map found in EotE core rule book.

And don't forget,since star wars has an extremely wide variety for setting,include more species with every book except adventures.I would think that 60+ species would work well as it's base amount.(not total amount) [ official species anyways ]

Just my opinion.

#10 CaptainRaspberry

CaptainRaspberry

• Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 06:49 AM

Actually, if they lose the license, they can't produce any more Star Wars merchandise. My guess is that, depending on the life of the license (which I don't know), they're hoping to get all their planned products such as sourcebooks and adventures out before it expires, just in case Disney decides not to renew it.

Given the pace of releases, however, I'm guessing the license doesn't expire anytime soon and they'll be able to pull it off. Frankly, even if Disney doesn't renew the license and gives it to someone else to create a different Star Wars RPG, I think I'll be playing this one for a long time.

• edisung likes this

Sic transit gloria.

#11 2P51

2P51

• Members
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 07:33 AM

From a marketing perspective, I would fully expect whatever comes after all three CRB's supplemental material is out will be something to do with what is currently going on the in the new films.  That's certainly the part of Star Wars lore that Disney is going to want to see stressed in everything that is printed.  Not to piss off the EU fans, even though I know this will, there is very little, to absolutely no reason, for Disney to green light the print of any material from the past when they have already shoved it to the side with the Legends label and are in the midst of promoting new movies.  If there is something done dealing with the past it is going to be based on possibly origin information released in the filler movies between the new trilogies or new novels released in the 'new canon'.

• edisung and Ranger1060 like this

My group's Obsidian Portal campaign site: It's All in the Trigger Squeeze

#12 bull30548

bull30548

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 07:47 AM

If what I remember is correct we actually have less time on the license not more. In fact I believe the license expires 3rd or 4th quarter of 2015. So what I see happening is that FFG will run books like there is no tomorrow but F&D may be the only book in that line. Which if you think about it makes sense if they are only trying to do the OT which for the most part is wrapped up with that book.

Now what I have predicted happening is that Disney lets FFG keep it for another five years so long as they pop out a few books in regards to the new trilogy and the spin offs. To be honest I wouldn't be surprised to hear at either this celebration, gen con, or Southern California ComicCon (can't remember what city they move to from San Diego) that Disney renewed the contract early so that FFG can continue their one year lead time for development to release. That is my hope but to be honest the stuff before or even an empire sourcebook I just don't see. Though we may get a rebels sourcebook in regards to that new animated series and just maybe a clone wars source book ( needs a bad ass arc trooper).
  • kaosoe and edisung like this

SPACE GUINEA PIGS TO THE RESCUE!!!!!

#13 mouthymerc

mouthymerc

Not the member you are looking for!

• Members
  • 1,487 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 08:44 AM

Sourcebooks. Careers, regions, and adventures. That is what I expect.

Personally I would like to see a couple of sourcebooks for the AoR line focused on the Rebellion and Empire respectively, rather than career books. They could be bigger books that combine career, region and equipment elements.

If we do see a Sith book I wouldn't expect it until after the actual F&D CRB drops.

• Col. Orange likes this

People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

#14 Desslok

Desslok

• Members
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 08:51 AM

(Please refrain from the usual "but with a little work you could do an imperial campaign already"-responses, I know you could.)

Can we still hit you with the "If you want to play an Imperial, you must be a real life Nazi" arguments?

• Col. Orange, Shakespearian_Soldier, Jamwes and 1 other like this

#15 DanteRotterdam

DanteRotterdam

• Members
  • 974 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 08:56 AM

Oh sure! Anyone seen Sylpheed around? :)

• Col. Orange and Shakespearian_Soldier like this

#16 mouthymerc

mouthymerc

• Members
  • 1,487 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 09:01 AM

The only reason I think such a book would sell well is if there wasn't an Empire sourcebook, which is not a reason to make it. I think more people want Empire information, rather than the ability to run Empire games. A sourcebook would fill that need nicely before a CRB.

• Jegergryte, knasserII and edisung like this

People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

#17 mouthymerc

mouthymerc

• Members
  • 1,487 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 09:01 AM

Also known as...

George Orwell

#18 DanteRotterdam

DanteRotterdam

• Members
  • 974 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 09:02 AM

Either would be nice of course.

#19 Col. Orange

Col. Orange

• Members
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 09:06 AM

Also known as...

Ian Slypheed.

• kaosoe likes this

#20 Revanchist

Revanchist

• Members
  • 864 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 11:18 AM

This is what I really want. Seeing things from the other side of the war. The biggest thing I don't get is why no one ever seems to want to play Imperial. Ever since I read The Last Command, I have always thought of the Empire as just another government with a different (and opposing) ideology, and not the evil enemy. From that time forward, I was reborn as a true Imperial.
Imperial: 5 TIE/ln, 1 TIE/adv, 5 TIE/in, 1 TIE/sa, 1 Firespray-31, 1 Lambda
Rebel: 3 X-wing, 1 Y-wing, 1 A-wing, 1 B-wing, 1 HWK-290, 1 YT-1300

"History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all."

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS