Oath of honor and choice of monster

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 Ra1nko

Ra1nko

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 12:25 AM

No, they cannot. It needs to be within 3 spaces, but closed doors and walls prevent the spaces from being adjacent.

Well, it seems that it's time to reread the rulebook. Again.
So, in this case
-K---
WW---
H----
M----
it'll work?
Through monsters is fine. Through doors/walls is not, as closed doors prevent counting of spaces. Black walls are completely impassible by any means.

Yeah, I got that.
All you need is to be within 3 spaces. But when you count your distance on the field it won't be necessarily a straight line and, like in my example above, you can go round the wall, yes?

#22 Zaltyre

Zaltyre

• Members
  • 609 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 06:02 AM

Yeah, I got that.

All you need is to be within 3 spaces. But when you count your distance on the field it won't be necessarily a straight line and, like in my example above, you can go round the wall, yes?

http://imgur.com/FuJixxx

I want to be clear, so I made an image. Referring to the link:

Assume the knight is the blue objective token, and the red objective tokens are other heroes. The monsters are monsters.

A) The knight can use Oath of Honor to go to either of the spaces marked with an X. The two spaces below the flesh moulder might also be valid destinations, but I'm not sure (I'm leaning toward yes, but didn't want to put it in the picture.) Outside input welcome.

B) The hero is still 3 spaces from the knight. The knight could move to the same spaces with Oath of Honor.

C) The knight could move to either of the spaces marked with an X.

Edited by Zaltyre, 07 July 2014 - 08:20 AM.

#23 Ra1nko

Ra1nko

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 08:05 AM

B) The knight cannot use Oath of Honor. He is 4 spaces away from the flesh moulder because he can't count through the wall.

But text on card tells that we should choose another HERO within 3 spaces of knight, not monster. So it would also work, I suppose.

Thanks anyway.

#24 Zaltyre

Zaltyre

• Members
  • 609 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 08:18 AM

B) The knight cannot use Oath of Honor. He is 4 spaces away from the flesh moulder because he can't count through the wall.

But text on card tells that we should choose another HERO within 3 spaces of knight, not monster. So it would also work, I suppose.

Thanks anyway.

Oh wow, I'm making mistakes left and right here. At least I got the point about counting spaces and walls across.  I've edited my original post.

Edited by Zaltyre, 07 July 2014 - 08:18 AM.

#25 Carbini

Carbini

• Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 12:44 PM

You can actually go to the 2 spots below the flesh moulder as well because they are also tied for "closest empty adjacent space" at 4 spaces from your current location (or 5 spaces in example B, but both scenarios are valid). It's just like when you calculate range and you count the least amount of spaces to get to the target (while still keeping line of sight). Oath of honor is pretty rad...

In example C, if the blue token was 3 spaces more north it could STILL make it to the 2 X spots, due to diagonals being adjacent.

Preeeetty..... rad...

Here's where it finally breaks though: If in example A or B it was a 4 square monster or 6 square monster, THEN the only spot you could go would be to the left of the 2 red heroes, because below the huge or massive monster would be counting 1 or 2 more spaces and would not qualify for "closest empty adjacent space."

Still rad enough though...

Edited by Carbini, 07 July 2014 - 12:45 PM.

#26 Zaltyre

Zaltyre

• Members
  • 609 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 01:43 PM

You can actually go to the 2 spots below the flesh moulder as well because they are also tied for "closest empty adjacent space" at 4 spaces from your current location (or 5 spaces in example B, but both scenarios are valid). It's just like when you calculate range and you count the least amount of spaces to get to the target (while still keeping line of sight). Oath of honor is pretty rad...

In example C, if the blue token was 3 spaces more north it could STILL make it to the 2 X spots, due to diagonals being adjacent.

Preeeetty..... rad...

Here's where it finally breaks though: If in example A or B it was a 4 square monster or 6 square monster, THEN the only spot you could go would be to the left of the 2 red heroes, because below the huge or massive monster would be counting 1 or 2 more spaces and would not qualify for "closest empty adjacent space."

Still rad enough though...

Thanks for the clarification, Carbini. I realize I butchered the example, but I agree with your space counting. They're all the same number of spaces away since the two "nearer" adjacent spots are occupied by heroes. I think example C is the most useful case. It allows the hero to bypass a blockade, providing the blockade isn't made up by a bunch of tiny monsters (making the "nearest empty space" on the near side of the monster in question.)

#27 Carbini

Carbini

• Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 02:24 PM

Yea I can't remember the quest but there's one where the heroes and Splig run STRAIGHT at each other into a field of lightning bolts. There's a very thin strip of hallway connecting 2 big areas. I was overlord during this quest and all I was thinking was "Oh man am I glad the warrior isn't a knight..."

#28 Whitewing

Whitewing

• Members
  • 468 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 11:57 PM

Yea I can't remember the quest but there's one where the heroes and Splig run STRAIGHT at each other into a field of lightning bolts. There's a very thin strip of hallway connecting 2 big areas. I was overlord during this quest and all I was thinking was "Oh man am I glad the warrior isn't a knight..."

I remember that quest. The heroes take damage when they spend fatigue and the overlord's open group reinforces the entire group each turn. It was a nightmare when the overlord picked Hybrid Sentinels and they were respawning in full every turn. High speed, good damage, good defense and hp, and they kept blocking us every single turn.

It's in Act 1 of Labyrinth of Ruin IIRC.

Edited by Whitewing, 07 July 2014 - 11:57 PM.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS