Which expansion to get next?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MadFuhrer

MadFuhrer

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 05:02 AM

So fairly recently I have completely fallen in love with this game and am just loving everything about it.  I have slowly been getting all of the expansions.  I currently have DH, IH, Lurker, and KiY is about to arrive (much excite, very terror, wow)  and i'm looking for the next one.  Right now I am torn between kingsport and miskatonic.  which would you guys suggest?  should i go with a big one, or one of the small ones?

#2 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,220 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 05:14 AM

Add Kingsport, no doubts about that. It adds a lot of new items, great investigators and terrific AOs. Plus, if you have the PS for all characters thanks to IH, you'd also enjoy playing with them!

Kingsport is an interesting expansion. No unstable locations, true, but the rift mechanic never dilutes regardless of how many expansions do you play with, and the Mythos deck is brutal.

I'd save MH for last: the perfect topping for a perfect cake :)

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#3 Jake yet again

Jake yet again

• Members
  • 641 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 05:26 AM

I second the call for Kingsport. The big box expansions give you more bang for your buck than the little ones.

You'll probably find Kingsport easier than IH - there's no unstables. It does add extra investigators, Ancient Ones, and all the minor fluff like commons and uniques.

Small boxes - CotDP adds street encounters and a new class of object, BGotW adds nine extra monsters and a (not very good) cult mechanic. I'd rank CotDP over BGotW, but that's a more subjective call.

MH ideally comes last - it expands every expansion, so you get the most from it when you already possess all the other expansions.

Once you've got all the official items, you definitely want to move onto the fan material. See http://boardgamegeek...378994#13378994 for a list of the best material out there.

Lovecraft Country Horror - A completely FREE Big Box expansion for Arkham Horror, exploring the minor locations of the Cthulhu Mythos. Contains: Lovecraft Country Board, 16 Investigators, 4 Ancient Ones, 16 Skills, 32 Common Items, 24 Unique Items, 10 Spells, 16 Music of Erich Zann cards, 76 Leads, 4 Allies, 32 Monsters, 24 Injuries and Madnesses, 54 Mythos Cards, 41 Outer World Encounters, 52 Location Encounters for each Neighbourhood.

#4 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,318 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 12:03 PM

MadFuhrer,

I'll simply echo what both Julia and Jake have stated thus far. Definitely get Kingsport to your table and play it more than a dozen times. Later, grab Miskatonic and you'll have one of the greatest gaming compendia of all time...it's not likely to ever grow beyond its current expansions...definitely enjoy!

Cheers,
Joe

The Professor

http://crafthulhu.squarespace.com

#5 MadFuhrer

MadFuhrer

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 02:06 AM

Thanks for the advice all! looks like kingsport shall be the next addition to my madness (evil cackle).

#6 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,318 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 06:46 AM

MadFuhrer,

By the way, I just noticed the number of posts you've submitted...Welcome to the Carnival! Hope you're enjoying all of the Lovecraftian horror and madness!

Cheers,
Joe

The Professor

#7 MadFuhrer

MadFuhrer

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 03:00 AM

Well thank you!  I may be new but this game has made me into a cultist.  I've had this game for just about 2 months and I have played it almost 25 times.  Loving all of it.

#8 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,318 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 08:24 AM

If you have a chance, enter your games on Tibs' page (above) and check it out for great statistical info on the game.

Cheers,
Joe

The Professor

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS