So, back in December a friend introduced me to descent, after 1 game I wanted the game for myself, and now I own everything except the base lieutenant packs (which I seem not to be able to find anywhere ) and the conversion kit. I REALLY love the game.
So, I play the game with 3 diferentgroups, say actually 4 but 2 them are the same, just added an player since he live a long way from here and don’t come that often. Most often we play with 3 heroes, as we are 4 groups, but we have played a little with 4 heroes. The OL varies, and we play a lot of games together and the strategic level of the players are more or less the same.
We have completed 4 Shadow rune campaigns, 1 Lair of the wyrm and are halfway into act 2 in both a shadow rune and a Labyrinth of ruin campaign and just about to hit the interlude in a shadown rune campaign. Thus I think I have a fine amount experience, though not that perfect.
Generally, the OL have been stomped are solidly beaten. In the shadow rune we still have to try the interlude if the OL won 2 act 1 quests. Actually we only had 1 Shadow rune campaign where it was close, and the OL pulled it of in the final. The rest have been OL stomped. Generally a few factors have had a huge impact
1) In two finished campaigns and the two unfinished we have had Syndrael. This characters just seems broke to us. So far the conclusion is that ekstra actions is some of the best thing you can get, and Syndrael feat adds 1 action to 2 players. Most often the players use the feat in turn 1, gets into position so they can start to beat up monsters with double attacks, leaving nothing alive, or uses it to stun/immobolise/etc the guy they need to kill, which makes him a sitting duck.
2) Jain Fairwood, the issues is the same as above, but not nearly as powerfull. This in total gives more actions, but if you make full use of it you will get isolated, and most often die, don’t know why I bring it up, but it do add some frustrations
3) Tresure hunter now this is just stupidly good. We have used him in 2 campaigns, first we changed the char to wildlander around the interlude, but at this point it was too late. This game was not even close to funny, as they stomping of the OL was taken to new highs.
4) The campaign balance? We have played the shadow rune, and well, as I said the OL have gotten stomped. In the Lair of the Wyrm and Labyrinth the players have gotten stomped! So maybe its just because the Shadow rune is far easier for the players and the others are easier for the OL? Though the 4 act 1 rumor quests we have played have been won easily by the OL, even when he is getting stomped in the rest of the quests.
5) Now I love the game, and own almost everything. But especially with the nerekhall expansion I am starting to grow wary. I love new monsters and characters, keep em coming. But the amount of classes and shop item decks are just growing out of hand. Its, to me, not an issue yet with the classes, but shop items really are. I just don’t feel like removing anything, but that deck is growing BIG!
6) Some of the quests just seems downright stupid. I mean, how can the OL win Death on Wing unless he wins the first encounter and the players **** up? The 3 times it have been played have been, Syndrael feating in turn 1 and killing Belthir, one time the OL even had first turn. The 3rd, without syndrael the players just walked up with fatique and killed him.
Oh well, just a few thoughts, don’t know what the point it, just felt like sharing some thoughts I guess
Edited by Chav, 18 June 2014 - 01:07 AM.