• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 dmroberts

dmroberts

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 03:34 PM

Hello everyone

During the Force Phase, aside from cards that have been committed to the Force, are cards with "Force User" and "Force Sensitive" attributes considered when adding up the Force Icons?

Also, let's say cards A and B were declared as attackers, and cards C and D were declared as defenders, and at the end of the Conflict, they are all focused. And let's say cards A B C and D were committed to the Force; do these cards get considered in the Force phase? Or is it only cards that are not focused?

I hope I made sense of my questions. I just bought the core set recently and am still trying to squash out all of the details. Any information helps, thanks!

#2 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,140 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 03:45 PM

1) only committed cards

2) Only ready cards. Exhausted cards do not count
  • Devon Greatwolf likes this

#3 dmroberts

dmroberts

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 03:50 PM

Sweet thanks! Can you commit a "Force User" or "Force Sensitive" card to the Force?

Can you declare committed cards as attackers/defenders?

#4 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,140 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 03:54 PM

You can commit any unit to the Force.

Yes but they become double focused when they strike.

#5 PBrennan

PBrennan

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 04:25 PM

To address the underlying issue ... "force user" and "force sensitive" are traits. A trait in itself has no function - the rules don't use them in any way. A trait's only reason for existence is to be referenced by effects which specifically name that exact trait (eg an enhancement may have an effect which says it can only be attached to a user with the "force user" trait).

#6 dmroberts

dmroberts

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 11:52 AM

Hello again,

Not taking what side the Force card is up into consideration, does the Death Star dial begin at the beginng of either sides turn? Or does it only click at the beginning of the Dark side's turn? If it clicks once on the beginning of both players turns, that seems pretty harsh.

#7 MacRauri

MacRauri

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 12:04 PM

only on DS's turn

#8 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

The Uncanny One

• Members
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 12:05 PM

The Death Star dial only* moves up during the DS player's Balance Phase, not on the LS player's Balance Phase.

*I say "only" but of course there are other ways to move the dial like Hunt for Han Solo, Decoy at Dantooine, Devastator, etc. But as far as the beginning of the turn movement, it's only during the DS player's turn.

EDIT: Ninja'd!

Edited by Budgernaut, 20 June 2014 - 12:05 PM.

"There is a fine line between neutral and amoral. In fact, there may be no line there at all."

--Count Dooku

#9 Khudzlin

Khudzlin

• Members
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 04:18 AM

Not to forget the dial moves every time a LS obejctive is destroyed.

#10 RussianReb

RussianReb

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 06:37 AM

I had a question for clarification in this regard.

The balance of the force is with the DS.

Both the LS and DS commited to the force units are focused out.

It is now the DS players turn. Does the dial increase by an extra +1 even though the DS commited unit is focused out?

Thanks.

#11 Thaliak

Thaliak

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 06:49 AM

Yes. As long as the balance of the Force is with the dark side during the Balance phase of the Dark Side player's turn, the Death Star dial will increase twice during that phase.

#12 RussianReb

RussianReb

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 07:46 AM

Thank you for the reply.

So it has nothing to do with the DS units comitted to the force being focused out.

Thank you for the clarification.

#13 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,328 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 08:03 AM

Thank you for the reply.

So it has nothing to do with the DS units comitted to the force being focused out.

Thank you for the clarification.

Exactly.  It only indirectly cares about the committed units being exhausted because exhausted units don't count their force icons during the force struggle.*  Thus if all of the committed DS units are exhausted, it is much easier for the LS to win the force struggle (though in your scenario they were all exhausted as well so not so much).

*Before someone jumps in with the exception, there are card effects that allow you to count the force icons on an exhausted unit, but outside of a specific card effect counting them, exhausted units do not count their force icons.

• Thaliak likes this

#14 dmroberts

dmroberts

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 06:35 PM

For cards that say, "After you win an edge battle, put this unit into play from your hand as a participating unit on your side" do you also need to pay the resource cost for it as well?

#15 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,328 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 06:47 PM

For cards that say, "After you win an edge battle, put this unit into play from your hand as a participating unit on your side" do you also need to pay the resource cost for it as well?

Nope.

There is an important distinction between the phrase "put into play" and the word "play." 

-Play describes the process where you reveal the card, pay the cost, and then have it enter play/resolve.  For units and enhancements, this is usually during the Deploy Phase, though some cards have abilities that would allow them to be played at other times (eg Admiral Ackbar, Backstabber).

-Put into play is an effect that moves a card from an out of play area to an in play state without going through the entire process of playing it, which includes bypassing the cost.  Definition of "put into play" can be found on pg 27 of the core rule book.

• dmroberts likes this

#16 dmroberts

dmroberts

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 06:48 PM

Also, Ackbar says "During an engagement, play this unit from your hand as a participating unit on your side" Same question, is resource cost required?

#17 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,328 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 06:48 PM

Also, Ackbar says "During an engagement, play this unit from your hand as a participating unit on your side" Same question, is resource cost required?

Ninja'd you with that answer, but for clarity: yes, Ackbar's cost must be paid.

• dmroberts likes this

#18 dmroberts

dmroberts

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 11:21 AM

if i'm using a card in an engagement with en exhaust ability, can i exhaust an opponent's card that is NOT in the engagement?

#19 GroggyGolem

GroggyGolem

• Members
  • 638 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 12:04 PM

if i'm using a card in an engagement with en exhaust ability, can i exhaust an opponent's card that is NOT in the engagement?

Yes, Tactics may be applied to any Unit within or without the Engagement.

Rebels: 3 X-Wing, 1 Y-Wing, 1 A-Wing, 1 B-Wing, 1 YT-1300

Imperials: 5 TIE/LN, 1 TIE/ADV, 1 TIE/IN, 1 Firespray-31

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS