Photo

Proximity Mines, a way to corral Phantoms?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Aminar

Aminar

• Members
  • 2,898 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 08:18 PM

So, I've never seen anybody run one of these. Ever.
But the discussion on Phantoms has me thinking that for 3 points they might actually be a good way to clutter the field and inhibit the Phantoms mobility some.
If nothing else they leave your back covered on your approach.
  • ObiWonka, Dagonet and Ribann like this

#2 DraconPyrothayan

DraconPyrothayan

• Members
  • 2,835 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 08:27 PM

The great thing about this is that you can aim for where they currently are, as opposed to where you think they will be.
It's substantially more difficult to de-cloak away from a prox-mine than it would be to do so from a Seismic Charge, once planted.
Even better, the prox mine sticks around if it doesn't hit the Phantom.

#3 Dagonet

Dagonet

• Members
  • 921 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 08:31 PM

Even one or two should be enough to give the Phantom headaches. Just make sure you don't trigger it yourself. :P.

#4 Harpsichord

Harpsichord

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 08:40 PM

Once I get a chance to more regularly play against phantoms I'm definitely going to give proximity mines a chance. Does barrel rolling over the mine count as a "maneuver"?

#5 Ryther

Ryther

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 08:51 PM

Yes. Any time your template crosses it it blows.

#6 Skargoth

Skargoth

• Members
  • 453 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 09:08 PM

Or Imps can counter Phantoms with Phantoms... but what do Rebels do? :P

Sorry was just occurring to me that Rebels still don't have bombs.

Edited by Skargoth, 16 June 2014 - 09:11 PM.

• UnfairBanana likes this

#7 Harpsichord

Harpsichord

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 09:13 PM

Or Imps can counter Phantoms with Phantoms... but what do Rebels do? :P

Turrets  ;)

#8 Vorpal Sword

Vorpal Sword

• Members
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 10:13 PM

Yes.

This has been another episode of Short Answers to Simple Questions, and I finally get to be positive for once! Tune in next time…
  • Damoel, Parakitor, Osoroshii and 4 others like this

#9 Danath

Danath

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 11:01 PM

Just remember the FAQ on these;

PROXIMITY MINES
This card should read:
“When a ship’s base or maneuver template overlaps this token, this token detonates.”

So if you can manage to drop one of these dead center on a phantom they will detonate it :D

Edited by Danath, 16 June 2014 - 11:02 PM.

Rebel 2 Z-95s, 3 A-Wings, 3 B-Wings, 5 X-Wings, 2 Y-Wings, 2 HWK-290s, 2 YT-1300s, 1 GR-75 Medium Transports, 1 Corellian Corvette, 2 E-wings

Empire: 2 TIE Advanced, 4 TIE Bombers, 8 TIE Fighters, 7 TIE Interceptors, 2 Firespray-31s, 2 Lambda Shuttles, 2 Tie Phantoms, 2 Tie Defenders

#10 Marinealver

Marinealver

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 12:26 AM

Too bad the Rebels don't have a way to field them. Though I think a Y-Wing or B-Wing modification would do the trick.

You can always start another round if you lost the last one.

#11 StevenO

StevenO

• Members
  • 1,722 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 09:19 AM

PROXIMITY MINES
This card should read:
“When a ship’s base or maneuver template overlaps this token, this token detonates.”

So if you can manage to drop one of these dead center on a phantom they will detonate it :D

But ONLY if you manage to drop it dead center on it.

A ship can start with a proximity mine underneath it and if it can get off of it WITHOUT having the template overlap any portion of the mine it gets off.  This means that Phantom can't have a clear edge on the front or sides otherwise it could still decloak off the darn thing.

Still a nice thing about the mine would be that it gets to ignore all those possible defense dice.

#12 Majeh

Majeh

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 09:31 AM

But it doesnt explode if the decloakturns out to be invalied (such as running into a ship or obstacle)
So a misjudge if distance might save them

Edited by Majeh, 17 June 2014 - 09:32 AM.

#13 Aminar

Aminar

• Members
  • 2,898 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 09:34 AM

But it doesnt explode if the decloakturns out to be invalied (such as running into a ship or obstacle)
So a misjudge if distance might save them

If they're measuring to run over the Mine when they have a choice not too something is wrong.

#14 Danath

Danath

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 12:35 PM

PROXIMITY MINES
This card should read:

But ONLY if you manage to drop it dead center on it.

Or if it's Ionized just drop it in front. :D hehe

Rebel 2 Z-95s, 3 A-Wings, 3 B-Wings, 5 X-Wings, 2 Y-Wings, 2 HWK-290s, 2 YT-1300s, 1 GR-75 Medium Transports, 1 Corellian Corvette, 2 E-wings

Empire: 2 TIE Advanced, 4 TIE Bombers, 8 TIE Fighters, 7 TIE Interceptors, 2 Firespray-31s, 2 Lambda Shuttles, 2 Tie Phantoms, 2 Tie Defenders

#15 StevenO

StevenO

• Members
  • 1,722 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 04:33 PM

If you've ionized a Phantom it's already is a world of hurt.

#16 Gundog8324

Gundog8324

• Members
  • 569 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 04:36 PM

Too bad the Rebels don't have a way to field them. Though I think a Y-Wing or B-Wing modification would do the trick.

Y-wings yes they are "bombers" B-wings no, they already see enough play and are "assault fighters"  Think a B-52 compared to an A-10

#17 ObiWonka

ObiWonka

• Members
  • 199 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 05:00 PM

Sounds like fun to me (especially once Y-Wings get to be bombers for the Rebels, too). I still haven't run too many games with bombs, but I was just looking at Proximity Mines the other day wondering what to do with it. Especially if I ever get my hands on more (only 1 for now). It will be fun to make a mess of the battlefield, especially for Phantoms now that you mention it!

Rebel: 2x A-Wing, 2x B-Wing, 1x E-Wing, 2x HWK-290, 4x X-Wing, 2x Y-Wing, 1x YT-1300, 1x Z-95 Headhunter

Imperial: 1x Firespray-31, 1x Lambda Shuttle, 1x TIE Defender, 6x TIE Fighter, 1x TIE Advanced, 2x TIE Bomber, 6x TIE Interceptor, 1x TIE Phantom

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS