Team Epic Battles, Corvette and Transport first spin

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 PhantomFO

PhantomFO

• Members
  • 594 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 12:37 AM

Jimmie Johnson is one of the best drivers in the world. He can quickly maneuver stock cars better than most anyone.

He cannot pull those moves with an 18-wheeler.

Same concept when comparing a Navigator in a Firespray to one in a Transport.
REBEL: 3 X-Wings, 2 B-Wings, 1 Y-Wing, 1 A-Wing, 1 E-Wing, 2 Z95 Headhunters, 1 YT-1300, 1 HWK-290
IMPERIAL: 5 TIE Fighters, 3 TIE Interceptors, 1 TIE Bomber, 1 TIE Phantom, 1 TIE Defender, 1 TIE Advanced, 1 Lambda, 1 Firespray

#22 Marinealver

Marinealver

• Members
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 12:43 AM

I am trying to make a star destroyer base out of 2 CR-90 templates. Here is a paint sketch of what I am attempting for scale.

http://s27.postimg.o...troyer_Base.png

You can always start another round if you lost the last one.

#23 Magnus Grendel

Magnus Grendel

The Empire Needs You!

• Members
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 01:32 AM

One other comment about Roark - can he boost an entire corvette? just wondering, because of the front/rear having seperate pilot cards with their own pilot skill value.

It would only cost you the firepower from one hardpoint slot, but worth mentioning.

#24 Coshuda

Coshuda

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 02:00 AM

I am trying to make a star destroyer base out of 2 CR-90 templates. Here is a paint sketch of what I am attempting for scale.

http://s27.postimg.o...troyer_Base.png

Not a bad idea, though having a gap will cause a great deal of grief for ships flying through/around it. I am making a new one for the Star Destroyer you saw in the picture and intend to use the Tantive IV as the template. Just go as it as live with the overhang.

One other comment about Roark - can he boost an entire corvette? just wondering, because of the front/rear having seperate pilot cards with their own pilot skill value.

It would only cost you the firepower from one hardpoint slot, but worth mentioning.

While there are two cards, it is still classified as one collective ship. In much the same way that assault missiles don't hurt it with the splash because it is still one ship.

Jimmie Johnson is one of the best drivers in the world. He can quickly maneuver stock cars better than most anyone.

I suppose there is something to be said for that, even so I still don't feel that navigator gives an unfair advantage to the transport in particular. Especially as in this case the navigator would be training for this particular position/ship. But such is life. I will continue to enjoy it in our casual games. :)

Forces currently at my command: 

Galactic Empire: 12 TIE Fighters, 3 TIE Advanced, 9 TIE Interceptors, 5 TIE Bombers, 3 Firesprays, 3 Shuttles, 1 Tie Phantom, 1 Tie Defender
Rebellion: 5 X-Wings, 4 Y-Wings, 6 A-Wings, 5 B-Wings, 3 YT-1300s, 2 HWK-290s, 2 Z-95 Headhunter, 1 E-Wing, 1 GR-75, 1 CR-90

#25 gabe69velasquez

gabe69velasquez

• Members
  • 737 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 02:09 AM

I suppose there is something to be said for that, even so I still don't feel that navigator gives an unfair advantage to the transport in particular. Especially as in this case the navigator would be training for this particular position/ship. But such is life. I will continue to enjoy it in our casual games. :)

I was going to say the same when I read that, it's quite the false assumption that the navigator was always the copilot of a firespray up until you use him in your battle as a navigator, like there is no such thing as a hotshot pilot of a transport or corvette. 

That reasoning is as bad as saying you should be able to take a Firespray pilot with a zero pilot skill if he was originally a transport or corvette pilot. 

Interestingly, the CR90 could be piloted by as few as two people, as shown when Han Solo and Chewbacca flew a series of corvettes bearing the name Jaina's Light, or even one person if necessary via a steering yoke, as Wedge Antilles demonstrated when he flew the modified corvette Night Caller.    http://starwars.wiki...i/CR90_corvette

Carmen Ibanez in Starship Troopers.

Many of the badass pilots in this movie are women, and Carmen (Denise Richards) is the most memorable of them.

She's a pilot in the SICON fleet, who pilots the drop ship, and even helps on the ground when things get rough.

the-most-badass-female-space-pilots-of-a

• Coshuda likes this

Spoiler

Spoiler

#26 Coshuda

Coshuda

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 11:33 AM

I was going to say the same when I read that, it's quite the false assumption that the navigator was always the copilot of a firespray up until you use him in your battle as a navigator, like there is no such thing as a hotshot pilot of a transport or corvette. 

That reasoning is as bad as saying you should be able to take a Firespray pilot with a zero pilot skill if he was originally a transport or corvette pilot. 

There are many holes in assuming a crew member is dedicated to any particular ship, or that someone who specialized in a particular craft would be extremely handicapped being placed on another craft.Good reflexes and spatial awareness are useful in any craft. Nav coordinates are nav coordinates, regardless of what the hyperdrive is attached to, so to speak.

The biggest reason I can imagine for the no navigator rule is that at 3 points it is so dangerously close to an auto include as one can get. I myself end up only using it at most 2 times in the course of a whole game, mainly due to being pretty adept at judging flightpaths. But even then if it is an available upgrade I cannot think of a single time I wouldn't take it. It is that useful. I feel that Fantasy Flight erred on the side of caution in this instance to not have something that is seen on EVERY huge ship and therefore keep things a little more diverse. This is not to say that it was the right or wrong choice, but the best logic I can see behind it.

At the end of the day the presence or absence of navigator on huge ships is not going to make or break them. 

Forces currently at my command: 

Galactic Empire: 12 TIE Fighters, 3 TIE Advanced, 9 TIE Interceptors, 5 TIE Bombers, 3 Firesprays, 3 Shuttles, 1 Tie Phantom, 1 Tie Defender
Rebellion: 5 X-Wings, 4 Y-Wings, 6 A-Wings, 5 B-Wings, 3 YT-1300s, 2 HWK-290s, 2 Z-95 Headhunter, 1 E-Wing, 1 GR-75, 1 CR-90

#27 RealShinigami

RealShinigami

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 04:03 PM

Maybe there will be a 'Navigator Team' for huge ships with the Imp huge ones? :D

Also, I have one of frontline gaming's 4' by 4' space mats wich I played a mini-epic game of 200 ptns on to test out my 'vette at my new pad.

And at the FLGS we also play on tables 4' deep, I like that size, but we set up at range 2, it does usually ad an extra turn of maneuvering (especially with the corvette game where the Imp player approached really cautiously for some reason... )

Also a tip, you dont have to deply head first towards the enemy, placing huge ships paralel to the table edge helps alot to charge their batteries :)

Iam hoping this wednesday we can get in a full team epic game in Hasselt, maybe with wave four in store even!! :D

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS