• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Coshuda

Coshuda

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 07:47 PM

Hello Community,

Last night I had the privilege of playing an epic team game with my game group and thought I would share the experience with you all. We went traditional and did two versus two, Rebellion versus Imperials. On the Imperial end was no less than 15 ships of various TIE variants. 3 Advanced, and 4 bombers with varying payloads to one player, and 7 interceptors and a lone Defender (Rexler) to the other. On my side of the table, my teammate brought a well equipped Corvette with the full compliment of quad laser cannons, pimped out Milennium Falcon and Roark with an Ion turret. For myself I upgraded my rebel convoy list, taking two Outer Rim smugglers, two Y-Wings with ion turrets, Biggs and a rookie pilot. Rounded out with my beloved rebel transport.

Deployment has me on the left flank opposed to the majority of interceptors, with the corvette taking the center and maximizing the broadsides, and finally Han on the far right to combat and flankers. My plan was to use my low pilot skill and ion to block and keep plenty of targets in the way of my transport. Meanwhile we intended to make the most of the corvette and the obscene amount of firepower it can unload, combined with Roark allowing all those pretty guns to shoot at PS 12. This created some controversy, but after analysis and discussion we came to the conclusion that the rules state that huge ships always activate last, but as far as we can tell when it come times to shoot PS order is still used.

20140615_171312_zps694da347.jpg

http://i1274.photobu...zpse1ff8abb.jpg

Things quickly turned ugly for all parties as by turn three no less than four ships has already been run over by the huge ships. The defender managed to just make a clutch K-Turn and subsequently use Rexler’s ability and a heavy laser cannon to put a whopping five damage on my transport (ouch!). The defender would continue to prove to be the bane of the rebel’s as it is obnoxiously hard to kill and can really lay down the pain.

20140615_172444_zpsc89a6f7c.jpg

20140615_172906_zpsdfb369d8.jpg

By turn six the turrets on Hawks, Y’s and YT’s in combination with the Corvette’s firepower were proving to be crucial against the mass of Interceptors. Surprisingly the TIE advanced and Bombers proved to pull their weight against everything we could throw at them, furthermore their missiles and torpedoes were extremely painful to the corvette putting no less than 15 damage cards down. The use of Tibanna gas and repair droids we a huge help at this time, thank The Maker for shields and discarding damage cards.

20140615_181019_zps472f58cb.jpg

20140615_181025_zps2dbbfd9c.jpg

20140615_185936_zps9040c2bb.jpg

20140615_185943_zpsa07d9624.jpg

In the end it was a brutal game, though everyone’s favorite terrorists/freedom fighters won the day. In hindsight here are some things that I learned from the carnage that went down. First, the transport was much more effective than I would have thought killing no less than 112 points by the end of the game. As to upgrades, the navigator is a must have. There were two times that changing speeds on a turn not only saved one of my own ships but let me clip an enemy fighter in the process. Also the repair droid is a strong consideration. There were three turns by my count where I didn’t need an action otherwise and had energy being wasted, so being able to repair in those instances for a measly 2 points is worth looking at. Second, the interceptors were nice, but in the cramped confines that is the grand melee, I feel there is very little that they brought to the table that TIE fighters could not have for far less points. Third, bomber and advanced are the answer to rebel huge ships, keeping them with one missile/torpedo keeps them cheap, they are durable enough to take the broadsides as they move into position and can still sting huge ships to death after they have fired their secondary weapons. Don’t think that the Empire is out of this despite not having huge ships yet. Fourth, the Defender is an all star. The maneuvering and durability in cramped quarters is golden. Combined with Rexler’s ability and it can actually drop a huge ship almost single handily. Fifth, the Corvette shooting at PS 12 was devastating to the interceptors, and is a very inexpensive option to make a brutal ship even more painful. Finally, the turrets/ion were a huge boon. Looking back I am tempted to forgo the X-Wings altogether and bring loads of turrets. Always having a shot is really important in such a crowed area and the low pilot skills on smugglers/Y-Wings were very key to getting the most out of the transport.

Altogether it was a great time and looking forward to another go with the group I played with. It is a really fun format and defiantly changes up the tactics required from standard play. If you haven’t played on that level yet I recommend you get to it.

• JCDisaray, Joe Boss Red Seven, BattlePriest and 2 others like this

Forces currently at my command: 

Galactic Empire: 12 TIE Fighters, 3 TIE Advanced, 9 TIE Interceptors, 5 TIE Bombers, 3 Firesprays, 2 Shuttles
Rebellion: 5 X-Wings, 4 Y-Wings, 6 A-Wings, 5 B-Wings, 3 YT-1300s, 2 HWK-290s, 1 Z-95 Headhunter, 1 Rebel Transport

#2 Aminar

Aminar

• Members
  • 2,898 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 07:53 PM

One quick note. Navigator doesn't work on huge ships in competitive play. Probably for the reason you mentioned. It being REALLY GOOD.

I'm glad the big ships worked well for you. I would think you'd have had a rough time hitting the squints, but obviously you made 2 dice work for you.

And Roark plus Corvette equals AWESOME!. In fact Roark is all around awesome. (The Hawk really is great.)
  • DraconPyrothayan likes this

#3 Dieter122

Dieter122

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 07:54 PM

Play field looks too small to manovour the tantinive corvette.

Larger playing area makes sense when we start bringing in these big ships

#4 Damoel

Damoel

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 07:54 PM

I think navigator is one of those strange examples of cards that Huge ships can't use, though this is only in the tournament rules, so may not be relevant to you. Also, it is goofy. I'd expect someone whose role is "Navigator" to be most at home on giant ships.

Outside of that, the game sounds like crazy fun.

Fleet timez!

Anarchists: 3 A-Wing, 3 B-Wing, 2 Y-Wing, 6 X-Wing, 3 Z-95, 3 E-Wing, 2 HWK290, 2 YT-1300, 2 GR-75, 1 CR90

Good Guys: 6 TIE/LN, 1 TIE/AD, 3 TIE/D, 6 TIE/IN, 4 TIE/SA, 4 Phantom V38, 2 Lambda Shuttle, 2 Firespray-31

#5 Popn618

Popn618

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 08:12 PM

That looks great. Do you mind if I re-use your pictures to convince some of my friends to play an epic game with me?

“It’s not impossible. I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back home, they’re not much bigger than two meters.”

#6 Coshuda

Coshuda

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 08:19 PM

That looks great. Do you mind if I re-use your pictures to convince some of my friends to play an epic game with me?

By all means, please do. The more the merrier. Just make sure to cite sources as needed. ;)

One quick note. Navigator doesn't work on huge ships in competitive play. Probably for the reason you mentioned. It being REALLY GOOD.

I'm glad the big ships worked well for you. I would think you'd have had a rough time hitting the squints, but obviously you made 2 dice work for you.

And Roark plus Corvette equals AWESOME!. In fact Roark is all around awesome. (The Hawk really is great.)

The squints are really susceptible to one bad roll. I love them, but it seems like their greatest strength comes from getting out of firing arcs and if they can't do that...

Play field looks too small to manovour the tantinive corvette.

Larger playing area makes sense when we start bringing in these big ships

The play area was an extra mat I had from Dreadfleet by Games Workshop. It is about 5 x 3 & 1/2 which is darn close to the 6x3 that the official rules call for.

I think navigator is one of those strange examples of cards that Huge ships can't use, though this is only in the tournament rules, so may not be relevant to you. Also, it is goofy. I'd expect someone whose role is "Navigator" to be most at home on giant ships.

Outside of that, the game sounds like crazy fun.

I agree. I had no idea that you couldn't use one on a huge ship. Which seems really odd as it would be the most likely place to find them, furthermore I don't feel that it gave an unfair advantage. Definitely worth the points, but I don't know why it is not available at all. :(

Galactic Empire: 12 TIE Fighters, 3 TIE Advanced, 9 TIE Interceptors, 5 TIE Bombers, 3 Firesprays, 2 Shuttles
Rebellion: 5 X-Wings, 4 Y-Wings, 6 A-Wings, 5 B-Wings, 3 YT-1300s, 2 HWK-290s, 1 Z-95 Headhunter, 1 Rebel Transport

#7 Damoel

Damoel

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 08:24 PM

Well, that MAY be why the limitation is in the tourney rules, and not the normal ones. Maybe they wanted to let folks make their own decisions about it in fun games. The other two, Luke and Gunner, seem a little more... insane. Navigator may be as well, but I feel like I'd need to see it in play a couple of times first.

Fleet timez!

Anarchists: 3 A-Wing, 3 B-Wing, 2 Y-Wing, 6 X-Wing, 3 Z-95, 3 E-Wing, 2 HWK290, 2 YT-1300, 2 GR-75, 1 CR90

Good Guys: 6 TIE/LN, 1 TIE/AD, 3 TIE/D, 6 TIE/IN, 4 TIE/SA, 4 Phantom V38, 2 Lambda Shuttle, 2 Firespray-31

#8 That One Guy

That One Guy

• Members
  • 1,230 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 08:32 PM

Why can't you use Navigator on Huge ships?

#9 Aminar

Aminar

• Members
  • 2,898 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 08:35 PM

Why can't you use Navigator on Huge ships?

The Epic tournament rules disallow it. That doesn't mean much for friendly games. I think it probably has to do with the power of ramming combined with the Pilot Skill advantage Huge ships have without really paying for it.

#10 Dieter122

Dieter122

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 08:35 PM

Even 6x3 isn't large enough for the big ships IMHO.

3 ft deep when forced face off is darn shallow.

The corvette can just about move one ship length forward and it's at the opposite end of the board already... Not much room to really move , unless you want to bank turn 1 and then proceed the long way down the play field.

Edited by Dieter122, 16 June 2014 - 08:37 PM.

#11 Aminar

Aminar

• Members
  • 2,898 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 08:36 PM

I've had the exact opposite, where even on a 3X3the huge ships can manuever just fine.

#12 Damoel

Damoel

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 08:36 PM

The tournament rules forbid it, Gunner and Luke Skywalker (crew) from being used. They also clarify that Biggs' pilot ability is limited to Large and Normal based ships.

Fleet timez!

#13 Dieter122

Dieter122

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 08:38 PM

I've had the exact opposite, where even on a 3X3the huge ships can manuever just fine.

Maybe I'm alone on this one. I just prefer lots of space.. No pun intended. Just seems silly when stuff gets so crammed on the board.
  • EmpireErik likes this

#14 Aminar

Aminar

• Members
  • 2,898 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 08:45 PM

Maybe I'm alone on this one. I just prefer lots of space.. No pun intended. Just seems silly when stuff gets so crammed on the board.
The game tends to get crammed no matter how much space you have. It's a function of how much the game relies on focus fire. Truth be told, skill in a furball is one of the most underated abilities this game has. Epic multiblocks back onto asteroids are just too much fun.

#15 Coshuda

Coshuda

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 08:59 PM

The game tends to get crammed no matter how much space you have. It's a function of how much the game relies on focus fire. Truth be told, skill in a furball is one of the most underated abilities this game has. Epic multiblocks back onto asteroids are just too much fun.

I would agree whole heartily. When things get cluttered the skill to navigate your way out in one piece is over looked. There have been more than one game, standard or epic, where the ability to navigate a parking lot has saved my bacon. 

#16 Corellian Corvette

Corellian Corvette

• Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 09:09 PM

You opponent should of taken 12 academy pilots for 144 points before adding expensive ships like the interceptor and bomber. Just saying, weight in numbers is frighteningly effective in epic, as you drown then in TIEs.

A-wings, 2 E-Wings, 5 X-wings, 2 Y-wings, 1 B-wing, 1 HWK-290, 1 YT-1300, 1 GR-75, 1 CR90

"If everything already comes painted, why do I have an urge to re-paint it all still?"

"Green Squadron Reporting In!"

#17 Aminar

Aminar

• Members
  • 2,898 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 09:23 PM

You opponent should of taken 12 academy pilots for 144 points before adding expensive ships like the interceptor and bomber. Just saying, weight in numbers is frighteningly effective in epic, as you drown then in TIEs.

The Hassle however(And the bulk of purchases) is not worth it. I own Five ties. I'm happy with five(although I suspect more may become available with the Imperial huge ships)
Moving 14 ships a turn as 1/4th the play force is a great way to tell your casual play buddies that you just want to beat them, you don't care about fun.
All things said, the builds seem even in quality, if not partcularly optimized.

#18 Corellian Corvette

Corellian Corvette

• Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 09:37 PM

*snip* (12 ties)

The Hassle however(And the bulk of purchases) is not worth it. I own Five ties. I'm happy with five(although I suspect more may become available with the Imperial huge ships)
Moving 14 ships a turn as 1/4th the play force is a great way to tell your casual play buddies that you just want to beat them, you don't care about fun.
All things said, the builds seem even in quality, if not partcularly optimized.

Yeah, getting the 12 TIEs is the problem!  If I were to run 12 ties, I would run them in 4 flights of 3 and try to do simplistic maneuvers to speed up movement.

You saying "Moving 14 ships a turn as 1/4th the play force is a great way to tell your casual play buddies that you just want to beat them, you don't care about fun." makes me feel bad, I was just thinking power of the empire and countless tie fighters (to be run over) to counter the Corvette.  I myself am not a Imperial player, but if I was, it would definitely be tie swarm! (all the other imperial players I know are interceptor players, except one, he runs vader with EU and a flight of ties all the time.)

Edited by Corellian Corvette, 16 June 2014 - 09:38 PM.

A-wings, 2 E-Wings, 5 X-wings, 2 Y-wings, 1 B-wing, 1 HWK-290, 1 YT-1300, 1 GR-75, 1 CR90

"If everything already comes painted, why do I have an urge to re-paint it all still?"

"Green Squadron Reporting In!"

#19 Joe Boss Red Seven

Joe Boss Red Seven

• Members
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 11:31 PM

There you go!

:lol:

20131127_220351_zps4900786a.jpg

• Corellian Corvette likes this

"There Is No Such Thing As Luck." BLACK SIX RED SEVEN

ALLIANCE: [A-WING: 3] [B-WING: 3] [E-WING: 3] [HWK-290: 2] [X-WING: 6] [Y-WING: 6] [Z-95: 6] [YT-1300: 1] *EPIC* [TANTIVE IV: 1] [GR-75: 2*GROUND FORCES* [T-47 AIR SPEEDER: 11] JEDI: [DELTA-7: 1] [ETA-2: 4] EMPIRE: [TIE ADVANCED: 1] [TIE BOMBER: 3] [TIE DEFENDER: 3] [TIE FIGHTER: 5] [TIE INTERCEPTOR: 6] [TIE PHANTOM: 3] [FIRESPRAY-31: 1] [SHUTTLE-LAMBDA: 1] *GROUND FORCES* [AT-AT: 4] [AT-ST: 6] SITH: [ETA-2: 3] [INFILTRATOR: 1] [INTIMIDATOR: 1]

#20 Coshuda

Coshuda

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 12:00 AM

There you go!

:lol:

20131127_220351_zps4900786a.jpg

Fun note on this one. That is my handiwork as well. Many moons ago when I wanted to have an Imperial capital ship and my collection was considerably smaller...

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS