Photo

Am I the Only Person Excited about the Barrow Downs?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 DurinIII

DurinIII

• Members
  • 555 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 06:11 PM

What do you all think of the latest news feed? We get Tom!
  • Vendictar likes this

#2 PsychoRocka

PsychoRocka

• Members
  • 768 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 06:13 PM

Looks pretty damn exciting, more excited for this than Old Forest! Can't wait till both are out and you can play them with the 3 black riders quests all in a row.

Neither compare to ring maker unfortunately.... (new player cards!!!! wooooooo!!)

~Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul~

~One ring to cover the lands in complete and utter misery, one ring for the dark lord to work his wretched trickery~

#3 booored

booored

• Members
  • 2,038 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 06:19 PM

all PoD expansions are exciting.. but I'm a bit bummed Tom is a n on player card that we can not build into our own decks.
"People should be less concerned about whether they are being insulted and more concerned if it is the truth"

#4 Vendictar

Vendictar

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 07:11 PM

all PoD expansions are exciting.. but I'm a bit bummed Tom is a n on player card that we can not build into our own decks.

I may be in the minority, but I think it would be kind of silly to have Tom Bombadil helping fight goblins in Kazaad-Dum, or fighting for Osgiliath. I know this game takes some liberties when it comes to characters being in places they normally aren't, but I am perfectly ok with having Tom stay in the woods. 

• Mattr0polis, Nerdmeister, OnkelZorni and 3 others like this

#5 PsychoRocka

PsychoRocka

• Members
  • 768 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 07:20 PM

I may be in the minority, but I think it would be kind of silly to have Tom Bombadil helping fight goblins in Kazaad-Dum, or fighting for Osgiliath. I know this game takes some liberties when it comes to characters being in places they normally aren't, but I am perfectly ok with having Tom stay in the woods. 

Totally with you. The most childish, whimsical, comedic character (who is great don't get me wrong) should just be in his own setting and quest and shouldn't appear elsewhere

• Vendictar likes this

~Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul~

~One ring to cover the lands in complete and utter misery, one ring for the dark lord to work his wretched trickery~

#6 booored

booored

• Members
  • 2,038 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 07:37 PM

Is it any more silly than eagles flying around in a mine, or Bilbo hanging out with Aragorn or any of the other millions of thematic inconsistencies?, recently there talk of putting more than 1 horse attachment on a hero, just one of many problesm. You just need to let that all go... there is a abstract nature to how they make these LCGs... the choose to put the theme into the individual card design.. not the game design mechanisms.
  • Glaurung likes this
"People should be less concerned about whether they are being insulted and more concerned if it is the truth"

#7 Gizlivadi

Gizlivadi

• Members
  • 891 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 08:01 PM

Actually I agree with booored. I guess I'm just not really angry about not being able to use Bombadil in other quests since the quest looks so good and works in campaign mode. However, I'm a firm believer in compatibility, and I HATE it when they make "unique" characters and objects as objectives or other quest-specific cards. I hate it. Treasures were already a big disappointment, I want a Sting attachment I can give Frodo or Bilbo in whatever quest I want, not just the Hobbit! The same goes for stuff like Anduril, which will most definately be a Boon card in the next saga. I think these cards really kill freedom of deckbuilding and compatibility since they're quest specific and cannot use them in our decks, and when we finally get an actual player card of that specific character/object, it creates even more trouble when playing it in the Saga. I wish we got all this stuff as PLAYER CARDS, not objectives, treasures, boons, whatever. 

I'm still really excited for this Barrow downs quest, and Bombadil at least has some justification to be a quest-specific card. The best of all, I think, is that we can play these quests in the Saga, which is great.

• DurinIII likes this

"A straight road lay westward, now it is bent."

#8 Vendictar

Vendictar

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 08:28 PM

Is it any more silly than eagles flying around in a mine, or Bilbo hanging out with Aragorn or any of the other millions of thematic inconsistencies?, recently there talk of putting more than 1 horse attachment on a hero, just one of many problesm. You just need to let that all go... there is a abstract nature to how they make these LCGs... the choose to put the theme into the individual card design.. not the game design mechanisms.

I don't know why, but yes, to me it IS more silly. To each their own, but for me, I think I found where the line is in terms of how much bending of theme and logic I am able to do for this game. Probably just has to do with how silly and whimsical Bombadil is compared to the serious nature of just about every other character and card.

• Catastrophic09 and PsychoRocka like this

#9 oldoly

oldoly

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 09:19 PM

I am super stoked for this. Already emailed lgs to see of they will host :)
  • Vendictar likes this

#10 Glaurung

Glaurung

• Members
  • 2,191 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 09:35 PM

Very ok. I like the idea it can be include to BR compaign. 2 more quest in BR is sound really ok. Bombandil as a objective also ok.

Wizard is never late.......

Glaurung playtrough LOTR LCG on youtube :

http://www.youtube.com/user/olegyd   

#11 Glaurung

Glaurung

• Members
  • 2,191 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 10:04 PM

Wow this Aragorn have only 8 starting threat????!!! Why? He is cool then I wonna play him for sure....

#12 booored

booored

• Members
  • 2,038 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 10:17 PM

Wow this Aragorn have only 8 starting threat????!!! Why? He is cool then I wonna play him for sure....

This has to be a error in the production shot. Alt+Art cards are just art.. not changes... he should be 11 or 12 or w/e he normally us for the leadership 1 resource to untap.

I very much doubt that it will be 8 threat.

#13 Glaurung

Glaurung

• Members
  • 2,191 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 10:50 PM

This has to be a error in the production shot. Alt+Art cards are just art.. not changes... he should be 11 or 12 or w/e he normally us for the leadership 1 resource to untap.

I very much doubt that it will be 8 threat.

Mistake??? Hmmm maybe you right….they do a lot of them anyway…...

• booored likes this

#14 joezim007

joezim007

• Members
  • 765 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 11:31 PM

I'm never really excited about new quests. I like having a lot of good choices for quests, but I don't get excited unless I see awesome new player cards.
  • DurinIII likes this

I once shot an arrow through the pupil of a pig's eye from 300 yards away! Sadly, I was aiming for a different pig.

#15 oldoly

oldoly

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 12:43 AM

I really enjoy seeing the fellowship campaign unfold and just like mentioned earlier it seems that the desires of another thread are coming true about linking multiple quests together. Can't wait to try this one out, and old forrest. 

#16 spalanzani

spalanzani

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 02:25 AM

I'm never really excited about new quests. I like having a lot of good choices for quests, but I don't get excited unless I see awesome new player cards.

I'm completely the opposite, and am all about the new quests. In fact, a whiles back I advocated all-quest packs, so that we get 60 cards of questing goodness unencumbered by player cards. Not that I have anything against player cards, of course, but I just prefer the quests - they are what makes each expansion a completely new game, after all. This announcement totally threw me, because I thought it was talking about the GenCon event, which I'd forgotten wasn't called anything to do with the Barrow-Downs. So yeah, I am absolutely crazy over the moon that we're seeing not one but two POD quests this year, though I won't get to play in either of the events. 

I really, really love the way the designers are supporting this game. Maybe we'll see more standalone scenarios outside of GenCon in the future?

• richsabre and PsychoRocka like this

www.spalanz.com - everything you never wanted to know about me, in one place.

#17 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,835 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 03:30 AM

I'm completely the opposite, and am all about the new quests. In fact, a whiles back I advocated all-quest packs, so that we get 60 cards of questing goodness unencumbered by player cards. Not that I have anything against player cards, of course, but I just prefer the quests - they are what makes each expansion a completely new game, after all. This announcement totally threw me, because I thought it was talking about the GenCon event, which I'd forgotten wasn't called anything to do with the Barrow-Downs. So yeah, I am absolutely crazy over the moon that we're seeing not one but two POD quests this year, though I won't get to play in either of the events. 

I really, really love the way the designers are supporting this game. Maybe we'll see more standalone scenarios outside of GenCon in the future?

yeah i agree (unsuprisinginly haha) - quest packs are cool...its nice to get varied content in this game

as for Bombadil...well, (surprisingly this time :P) im with Booored... no matter how much of a lore snob i may be, if i had bombadil sitting in my card pool - by god he would get used! :D

• DurinIII and spalanzani like this

My Deviantart profile. Infrared Art http://richsabre.deviantart.com/

My Portfolio http://richardbyers.portfoliobox.me/

#18 booored

booored

• Members
  • 2,038 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 03:49 AM

hehe, the stars are aligning for me in this post!

• richsabre and DurinIII like this

#19 Glaurung

Glaurung

• Members
  • 2,191 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 04:02 AM

Actually i also feel a it like this now….sonce we dont really have a lot of deck building options for now…….i mean for solo game mostly

#20 booored

booored

• Members
  • 2,038 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 06:29 AM

LoTR has the slowest card pool growth of any of the LCGs, and not a little slower.. it is amazingly slow.

Lets look the other LCGs.

each pack has 20 cards in a set of 3... so a single cycle == 120 cards.
Each Deluxe has has around 50-60 cards in sets of 3. Lets say 55

LoTR on the other hand gets.. 9 cards + a hero. each pack. So in a cycle we get 54 + 6 heroes.. 1/2 as much... and the LoTR Deluxe expansions get 10-13 cards... + 4 heroes... so lets say 15..

So... We have had 3 cycles and 3 deluxe + 3 Deluxe expansions... this is roughly 270 . Any other LCG would have roughly 690.

270 vs 690.

So I am calling the exact opposite. I want mass player card expansions.. nothing but player cards.. more cards, more cards, MORE CARDS.

Edited by booored, 17 June 2014 - 06:44 AM.

• DurinIII likes this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS