Photo

Dismantling, studying, and reproducing Archeotech.

• Please log in to reply
128 replies to this topic

#121 Magellan

Magellan

• Members
  • 520 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 01:13 AM

You sound like the guy the hell party drove screaming from the room.

I'm certified to NASA standards when it comes to disassembling electronics (which is more useless than you'd think) and they beat me on occasion.

As far as the metallurgy goes it would depend on the function of the component in question.

I don't understand. What's your point? I'm not even trying to be rude - I just don't get what you're trying to say.

Edited by Magellan, 20 July 2014 - 01:14 AM.

I am the latest model of a Fabricator-General
My body isn't nearly as much animal as mineral
My learnedness is legend; my accomplishments historical
For hereteks and aliens my hatred's categorical

#122 Tenebrae

Tenebrae

• Members
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 02:14 AM

You sound like the guy the hell party drove screaming from the room.

Reading back, that came out more antagonistically than intended, but the point stands.

I'm certified to NASA standards when it comes to disassembling electronics (which is more useless than you'd think) and they beat me on occasion.

Ofcourse.

As far as the metallurgy goes it would depend on the function of the component in question.

The point I was trying to make was that if you don't know what to look for, machines even today are sufficiently complicated that you cannot simply take them apart, note down what bits go where, put them back as you found them and expect them to work.
In particular, you cannot expect to copy a component and expect that component to work, if you don't know what sort of component it is. It's not just "a block of black plastic, probably intended to keep these two elements apart." - it's full of microcircutry. But who'd know if they weren't familiar with the idea of microcircuits?

Both the atmospheric requirement and the alignment issue are real btw.
As someone mentioned, most harddisks will stop working if opened and while I'm not terribly familiar with that exact design, I've worked with several devices that needed their noble-gas atmosphere, as well as several components that reacted measurably with the oxygen in the air - that effect almost botched my bachelor-project btw.
Similarly, I've used devices where the aligment of components (mirrors) was a major issue, to the point of a thousandth of a degree or more as I recall.
And that was just for seeing small groups of atoms, not the subatomic particles that a teleportarium might well require.

#123 Gavinfoxx

Gavinfoxx

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 05:10 PM

You need more than just Tech-Use and Forbidden Lore Archeotech.  You need Trade (Shipwright) as well.  AND you will need a downright *reckless* interest in taking it apart and becoming a heretek.  AND you will need access to, somehow, a manufactorum and laboratorum and shipyard (doesn't need to be on a spaceship, it could be on a planet or something) where you have the capacity to essentially iterate the tools you need which don't exist in the imperium to figure out how to build the thing.  AND you will need the capacity to do several Warp-based experiments.  And you will need to do all of this without people getting upset / without too much death / without having the ad mech or the inquisition or rivals hunting you down.

It's certainly POSSIBLE, as long as you have someone who is actually willing to do revolutionary science and engineering and actually invent skills and techniques that do not actually currently exist, damn the repercussions, but it's not a few rolls.  It's a Major Endeavor.

Edited by Gavinfoxx, 23 July 2014 - 05:11 PM.

• Radwraith, Erathia, Annaamarth and 1 other like this

#124 Radwraith

Radwraith

• Members
  • 937 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 02:41 AM

Exactly!

#125 Utherix

Utherix

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 01:18 PM

You need more than just Tech-Use and Forbidden Lore Archeotech.  You need Trade (Shipwright) as well.  AND you will need a downright *reckless* interest in taking it apart and becoming a heretek.  AND you will need access to, somehow, a manufactorum and laboratorum and shipyard (doesn't need to be on a spaceship, it could be on a planet or something) where you have the capacity to essentially iterate the tools you need which don't exist in the imperium to figure out how to build the thing.  AND you will need the capacity to do several Warp-based experiments.  And you will need to do all of this without people getting upset / without too much death / without having the ad mech or the inquisition or rivals hunting you down.

It's certainly POSSIBLE, as long as you have someone who is actually willing to do revolutionary science and engineering and actually invent skills and techniques that do not actually currently exist, damn the repercussions, but it's not a few rolls.  It's a Major Endeavor.

Oh god that's so hot, don't stop.

• Erathia and Lohandria like this

#126 BaronIveagh

BaronIveagh

• Members
  • 933 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 06:01 PM

I don't understand. What's your point? I'm not even trying to be rude - I just don't get what you're trying to say.

There was a guy who wanted in on the Hell Party and bragged that he could prevent them from doing something without resorting to 'rocks fall, everyone dies'.  After 8 hours he gave up, and left ranting and screaming.  I was making a comparison between that guy and the posters boast about how he could simply deny them. 

Clearly ....

A) He's never sat in a GM seat and actually managed a party of brilliant psychopaths.  For anyone who has any doubts what this can be like, take Aaron Williams Full Frontal Nerdity and add more crazy and higher IQs.

B) Next time that I have the opportunity, I'm going to add to some GW/BL product an express statment about the admech building teleportariums because they were bored one day.  (Much like CATs, but I'm actually fairly certain that teleportariums are not archeotech outside RT, but damn if I can remember the source [it was either something BFG or soemthing SM, but f'ed if I can remember atm].  It would not be the only place that RT has diverged wildly from canon [such as it is] as far as ships go.  The Repulsive's fluff is actually the inverse of what it was in BFG)

Of course.

Sadly GS 9 step 4

#127 Magellan

Magellan

• Members
  • 520 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 04:16 AM

B) Next time that I have the opportunity, I'm going to add to some GW/BL product an express statment about the admech building teleportariums because they were bored one day.

Normally I'd say you were full of it, but writers messing with the lore so they can win internet arguments is pretty much exactly the level of professionalism I expect from Black Library.

• Darth Smeg, BaronIveagh and Tenebrae like this

I am the latest model of a Fabricator-General
My body isn't nearly as much animal as mineral
My learnedness is legend; my accomplishments historical
For hereteks and aliens my hatred's categorical

#128 Annaamarth

Annaamarth

• Members
  • 415 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 05:08 PM

B) Next time that I have the opportunity, I'm going to add to some GW/BL product an express statment about the admech building teleportariums because they were bored one day.

Normally I'd say you were full of it, but writers messing with the lore so they can win internet arguments is pretty much exactly the level of professionalism I expect from Black Library.

And this is why I said, way back on page 3 of this thread, you take the fluff you like where you can find it.  In my games Teleportaria are archeotech.  The AdMech doesn't do things because they are bored, the Grey Kniggits aren't Khornate, Magoi might understand how a thing works but they might not understand why.  The Ultramarines are mistrusted by the High Lords of Terra because of their little pocket empire, the Tau vary on the Machiavellian vs. Naive scale from sept to sept, the Black Templar could probably wipe out a hive fleet on their own if the High Marshal got his act together (or cared enough to bother bailing the Smurfs out), and watching Game of Thrones is a good primer for the politics of Rogue Trader.

It sounds like some people prefer a Rogue Trader more like Star Trek: Poofty Shirts and Poncy Hats, so... yeah. That's cool too.

Edit:

Of course.

Sadly GS 9 step 4

Wow.  You don't get paid very well.

Edited by Annaamarth, 01 August 2014 - 05:12 PM.

RIP AND TEAR THROUGH THE TIDE OF BLOOD WITH BATTLESUIT PILOT. SUPLEX HIVE TYRANTS. DO WHATEVER, YOU'RE PILOTING A HUGE-ASS MECHA.

-Errant, on how Rogue Trader ought to be played

#129 BaronIveagh

BaronIveagh

• Members
  • 933 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 05:51 PM

Actually it happens in the core books and FW too.  Hell, it happens around here too, if you havn't noticed.  The reference to motorcycle riding rough riders in the most recent OW book was a direct reference to a long running thing about the mount rules between HBMC and myself.

Wow.  You don't get paid very well.

Yeah, that's what I mean, you'd think having skills like that would lead to a bigger paycheck.  Instead i spend my weekends writing to make ends meet.

Edited by BaronIveagh, 01 August 2014 - 05:52 PM.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS