Imperial HUGE Ships...I'm Calling It.

• Please log in to reply
1290 replies to this topic

#301 Mikael Hasselstein

Mikael Hasselstein

• Members
  • 1,954 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 01:42 PM

Yeah but I did giggle at that wacky video... and I LOVE Grumpy-Cat!

:lol:

Curses. :angry:

Edited by Mikael Hasselstein, 19 July 2014 - 01:42 PM.

• Joe Boss Red Seven likes this

#302 Joe Boss Red Seven

Joe Boss Red Seven

The Laughing Warrior

• Members
  • 2,705 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 02:10 PM

Told yea... you are being a grump today.

• Mikael Hasselstein likes this

"There Is No Such Thing As Luck." BLACK SIX RED SEVEN

STAR WARS is far more than three thirty year old films. FFG intends for X-Wing to thrive, thus it will be more also... PERIOD.

ALLIANCE: [A-WING: 3][B-WING: 3][E-WING: 3][HWK-290: 2][X-WING: 6][Y-WING: 5][Z-95: 6][YT-1300: 1][YT-2400: ] EMPIRE: [TIE ADVANCED: 1][TIE BOMBER: 3][TIE DEFENDER: 3][TIE FIGHTER: 5][TIE INTERCEPTOR: 6][TIE PHANTOM: 3][DECIMATOR: ][FIRESPRAY-31: ][SHUTTLE-LAMBDA: 1] SCUM: [FIRESPRAY-31: 1][HWK-290: 3][IG-2000: ][M3-A: ][STAR VIPER: ][Y-WING: 1][Z-95: ]

#303 gabe69velasquez

gabe69velasquez

• Members
  • 735 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 12:20 AM

As long as we get something that allows for the use of Admiral Daala, I'll be happy. She is by far my favorite Imperial commander. Don't know if she had any kind of fighter, shuttle, or corvette of her own? I just know all the ISDs she commanded.

pic2076367_md.jpg

a Mel Miniature Custom.

Edited by gabe69velasquez, 23 July 2014 - 12:12 AM.

Spoiler

Spoiler

#304 gabe69velasquez

gabe69velasquez

• Members
  • 735 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 12:31 AM

Told yea... you are being a grump today.

14510248987_9bffa2bd4b_o.png

• Mikael Hasselstein and Joe Boss Red Seven like this

Spoiler

Spoiler

#305 gabe69velasquez

gabe69velasquez

• Members
  • 735 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 12:38 AM

Actually im wondering if i should bother making my Assassin Corvette variant. If i think about it then it seems to me like a good choice for FFG and i dont want to end up having to remove it right after i make it like i had to do with my Defender and Phantom *L*
 It would be compaible with the Corellian Corvette power wise. They already have a good chunk of the design done just by doing the Tantive and it really is one of the only Imperial ships that fits in the scale.
Yes the Vigil would be groovy but it is also a lot bigger than the Corvette, and the wedge would take up a lot of space. The Carrack and Lancer at 350 and 250 mtrs would also be too big unless they want to introduce yet another scale into the game. The only other ship that springs to mind easily is the DP20 which would fit in the scale but is just not a very interesting ship (personal opinion)

NOT VERY INTERESTING?!? 
Are you out of your freekin' mind?

Topic: "CR90-imperial-version-or-proxy-miniature" 
14424346414_05c0ce93fa_o.png

I did finally remember to get the crippled side done.
14508279120_08a8f2c7c7_o.png

Edited by gabe69velasquez, 22 July 2014 - 06:00 PM.

Spoiler

Spoiler

#306 Gosric

Gosric

• Members
  • 582 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 04:23 AM

From an aesthetic standpoint i think it is a boring design. As far as its effectiveness that it is a different matter

• Vorpal Sword, FTS Gecko, Jordan Peacock and 1 other like this

The Sea of Stars will be my home, Under the black flag of freedom

http://lorelei-shipy...blr.com/archive

https://www.shapeway...ric?sort=newest

#307 Joe Boss Red Seven

Joe Boss Red Seven

The Laughing Warrior

• Members
  • 2,705 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 05:33 AM

Uh Oh...

:ph34r:

Edited by Joe Boss Red Seven, 20 July 2014 - 05:33 AM.

STAR WARS is far more than three thirty year old films. FFG intends for X-Wing to thrive, thus it will be more also... PERIOD.

ALLIANCE: [A-WING: 3][B-WING: 3][E-WING: 3][HWK-290: 2][X-WING: 6][Y-WING: 5][Z-95: 6][YT-1300: 1][YT-2400: ] EMPIRE: [TIE ADVANCED: 1][TIE BOMBER: 3][TIE DEFENDER: 3][TIE FIGHTER: 5][TIE INTERCEPTOR: 6][TIE PHANTOM: 3][DECIMATOR: ][FIRESPRAY-31: ][SHUTTLE-LAMBDA: 1] SCUM: [FIRESPRAY-31: 1][HWK-290: 3][IG-2000: ][M3-A: ][STAR VIPER: ][Y-WING: 1][Z-95: ]

#308 gabe69velasquez

gabe69velasquez

• Members
  • 735 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 05:52 PM

From an aesthetic standpoint i think it is a boring design. As far as its effectiveness that it is a different matter

I'll take it against any same size pie you've got. All you guys that have to have the triangle shape

conveniently forget the smallest cannon ship of that shape is three times the size of the CR90,

(Vigil looks like a YT-1300 variant to me) and 400m ain't happening in this game,

so poo-poo the DP20 all you like, but don't be too shocked if they produce it.

I would take a guess that you must also find the look of the CR90 boring. 

I don't see anyone making Vigil models and posting photos like this.

IMG_2014.jpg

Edited by gabe69velasquez, 22 July 2014 - 05:59 PM.

Spoiler

Spoiler

#309 Gosric

Gosric

• Members
  • 582 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:18 PM

It is all a matter of opinion.  I agree the wedge wouldnt be a good choice for a smaller ship for multiple reasons. And i certainly didnt say the DP20 wouldnt be an effective combatant.

I just think it looks like someone attached parts of the international space station to the front of a vaguely Corellian engine block. ( Just to clarify, i'm not saying anything about your build. that is a very nicely done model, i mean the ship design itself.)

My aversion might also be because i have a bit of a beef with West End Games and its lazy design department back in the day. I do think it could be a good looking ship with a few small changes.

As for the CR90 That is a different matter entirely. It is my favourite ship in the saga. The only issue i have with it is that since it was originally conceived as much smaller the guns seem a bit over sized.

But since my favourite SF ships look like WW2 Battleships in space my aesthetic logic can be taken with a grain of salt.

• NotBatman, FTS Gecko and Jordan Peacock like this

The Sea of Stars will be my home, Under the black flag of freedom

http://lorelei-shipy...blr.com/archive

https://www.shapeway...ric?sort=newest

#310 FTS Gecko

FTS Gecko

• Members
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:19 PM

poo-poo the DP20 all you like, but don't be too shocked if they produce it.

I would be shocked if FFG produced it; no offence, but the design of the ship is hideous.  FFG producing a DP20 alongside the far, far, superior CR90 would be both lazy and incredibly dull.

I'd much rather have a large ship with an entirely different aesthetic to the Corellian Corvette for the Imperials. And that doesn't necessarily mean a slice of Imperial Pie, either.

Edited by FTS Gecko, 22 July 2014 - 06:20 PM.

• Vorpal Sword and Jordan Peacock like this

Bacon for breakfast, bacon for tea; bacon for you, bacon for me.

#311 Joe Boss Red Seven

Joe Boss Red Seven

The Laughing Warrior

• Members
  • 2,705 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:55 PM

Dammit... The rest of us Want Imperial PIE!

:D

15-eating-cookie-stormtrooper.jpg

• Swedge, gabe69velasquez, Punning Pundit and 2 others like this

#312 RookiePilot

RookiePilot

• Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 07:42 PM

I'd certainly get a DP-20 if FFG made one, regardless of what upgrade cards came with it.
  • gabe69velasquez likes this

#313 gabe69velasquez

gabe69velasquez

• Members
  • 735 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 12:19 AM

poo-poo the DP20 all you like, but don't be too shocked if they produce it.

I would be shocked if FFG produced it; no offence, but the design of the ship is hideous.  

FFG producing a DP20 alongside the far, far, superior CR90 would be both lazy and incredibly dull.

Oh really, that reads like a very ill-informed opinion,

or you're just trying to provoke me but I find it very very funny

in what way is the CR90 far far superior to the DP20?? ha ha. 

14415703576_de587cf1f9_c.jpg

Edited by gabe69velasquez, 23 July 2014 - 12:23 AM.

Spoiler

Spoiler

#314 gabe69velasquez

gabe69velasquez

• Members
  • 735 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 12:22 AM

Dammit... The rest of us Want Imperial PIE!

15-eating-cookie-stormtrooper.jpg

You have to post this one and more at this thread.

Spoiler

Spoiler

#315 Corellian Corvette

Corellian Corvette

• Members
  • 515 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 12:48 AM

Wow, way to many guns on that dp20! I would lower it to 2 on the front and 3 on the back
  • FTS Gecko likes this
4 A-wings, 2 E-Wings, 6 X-wings, 2 Y-wings, 3 B-wing, 1 Z-95, 1 HWK-290, 1 YT-1300, 1 GR-75, 1 CR90Empire: 3 Ties {o{} Zooom!<p>Plan to buy: 2x YT-2400, 1x YT-1300, Decimator, Shuttle

#316 FTS Gecko

FTS Gecko

• Members
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 03:14 AM

Oh really, that reads like a very ill-informed opinion,

or you're just trying to provoke me but I find it very very funny

in what way is the CR90 far far superior to the DP20?? ha ha. 

The lady doth protest too much, methinks.  As I said, no offence was intended but you seem intent on taking an adverse opinion on the DP20 personally.

In what way is the CR90 far superior?  Just like I said - aesthetically.  The CR90 is a well designed and iconic ship.  The DP20 looks like a cheap, nasty and above all very bland and uninspiring rip off of the CR90.  I am personally not interested in a cheap, nasty and uninspiring rip off of the CR90, and I do not think FFG would be interested in producing a cheap, nasty and uninspiring rip off of a (very expensive) model they already have on their books, either.

Dammit... The rest of us Want Imperial PIE!  :D

There ain't no pie quite like Imperial pie...

Edited by FTS Gecko, 23 July 2014 - 03:28 AM.

• NotBatman, Joe Boss Red Seven and Jordan Peacock like this

Bacon for breakfast, bacon for tea; bacon for you, bacon for me.

#317 Joe Boss Red Seven

Joe Boss Red Seven

The Laughing Warrior

• Members
  • 2,705 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 06:21 AM

Dammit... The rest of us Want Imperial PIE!  :D

There ain't no pie quite like Imperial pie...

Oh babies you know what we like!

#318 gabe69velasquez

gabe69velasquez

• Members
  • 735 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 01:45 AM

http://palinmaz.devi...zanti-471031095

For Comparison, Here is a 42 meter Imperial Gozanti next to a 75 meter version. I think the 75 makes a lot more sense.

Anyone else come across this theory that the Gozanti is actually 75 meters?

goz2_by_palinmaz-d7sftx3.png

Edited by gabe69velasquez, 28 July 2014 - 01:46 AM.

• R2Servo and Corellian Corvette like this

Spoiler

Spoiler

#319 Jordan Peacock

Jordan Peacock

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 06:50 AM

http://palinmaz.devi...zanti-471031095

For Comparison, Here is a 42 meter Imperial Gozanti next to a 75 meter version. I think the 75 makes a lot more sense.

Anyone else come across this theory that the Gozanti is actually 75 meters?

I do believe I saw that in another thread.  In my own efforts, I came up with a measurement of (ABOUT) 70m from tip to tail, so I see 75 meters as pretty reasonable, but that particular picture suggests a much more ROOMY fit for the TIEs in the 41.8m version than I would expect.

My pseudo-"scientific" method: Take canon length (41.8 m) and multiply by 39.3701 to convert m to in, then divide by 270 (for 1:270) scale ... or just take the canon length in meters, multiply by 0.1458, and you should have a rough approximation of the model length in inches.  (I know cm would make more sense in some respects, but whenever I find lengths for Star Wars toys online, they're almost always given in inches rather than cm, if they're given at all.)

So, I took an outline of the Gozanti cruiser in Photoshop, printed it off at 6.10" long from tip to tail, and parked four TIEs on it.

Here's what I got:

2014-07-16-gozanti-cruiser-yt1300-tie-co

Note: The picture lists the length of the TIE as 6.3m.  For whatever reason, the Wookieepedia entry for the TIE fighter ( http://starwars.wiki...note-Databank-1 ) lists the TIE length as 8.99m on the "Canon" tab, and then 6.4m on the "Legends" tab.  I'm not sure which one is "more right," but I'm pretty sure much was made over FFG going with a larger interpretation of the TIE fighters more in keeping with the movie models.  (In any case, since my intent is to make a Gozanti Cruiser that's carrying four TIEs, it only makes sense for me to use FFG's TIEs as my standard.)

• oneway, Vorpal Sword, gabe69velasquez and 1 other like this

#320 Joe Boss Red Seven

Joe Boss Red Seven

The Laughing Warrior

• Members
  • 2,705 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 07:41 AM

I do believe I saw that in another thread.  In my own efforts, I came up with a measurement of (ABOUT) 70m from tip to tail, so I see 75 meters as pretty reasonable, but that particular picture suggests a much more ROOMY fit for the TIEs in the 41.8m version than I would expect.

My pseudo-"scientific" method: Take canon length (41.8 m) and multiply by 39.3701 to convert m to in, then divide by 270 (for 1:270) scale ... or just take the canon length in meters, multiply by 0.1458, and you should have a rough approximation of the model length in inches.  (I know cm would make more sense in some respects, but whenever I find lengths for Star Wars toys online, they're almost always given in inches rather than cm, if they're given at all.)

So, I took an outline of the Gozanti cruiser in Photoshop, printed it off at 6.10" long from tip to tail, and parked four TIEs on it.

Here's what I got:

2014-07-16-gozanti-cruiser-yt1300-tie-co

Note: The picture lists the length of the TIE as 6.3m.  For whatever reason, the Wookieepedia entry for the TIE fighter ( http://starwars.wiki...note-Databank-1 ) lists the TIE length as 8.99m on the "Canon" tab, and then 6.4m on the "Legends" tab.  I'm not sure which one is "more right," but I'm pretty sure much was made over FFG going with a larger interpretation of the TIE fighters more in keeping with the movie models.  (In any case, since my intent is to make a Gozanti Cruiser that's carrying four TIEs, it only makes sense for me to use FFG's TIEs as my standard.)

Nice work!

:)

I have to wonder that FFG will just make it look right, that is  they will apply their very reasonable "Feels Right" scale. They stated that all Large and smaller ships are in correct scale, but for Huge ships they are going to do what they can to make these models awesome and have them fit the game

The example you worked out for us is obviously to small. If  FFG does it about as large as a Rebel Transport it will "Feel Right" on the table, especially with four TIE in carriages.

WANT!

• gabe69velasquez likes this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS