• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#21 Elavion

Elavion

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 01:58 PM

Necrons and Tyranids won't happen.

Tyranids are hard-locked on feeding and have a collective mind, There's simply no way to add them that would make sense. Genestealers, while at least able to communicate, will still go for their main purpose of breeding, and also have brood telepathy. It's a bad idea to make PvP rpg.

The only Necrons that would be playable are Lords, Overlords and Crypteks. Of those, only Crypteks could have a reason to join RT crew. Lords/Overlords wouldn't move without their armies and fleets.

#22 Magellan

Magellan

• Members
  • 520 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 03:33 PM

And everyone keeps telling me Heightened Senses (Sarcasm) is a waste of XP.

• Fgdsfg, Erathia, Sebastian Yorke and 1 other like this

I am the latest model of a Fabricator-General
My body isn't nearly as much animal as mineral
My learnedness is legend; my accomplishments historical
For hereteks and aliens my hatred's categorical

#23 Adeptus-B

Adeptus-B

Part-Time Super Villian

• Members
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 03:50 PM

To repeat something I said in another recent thread: let's stop acting like the races with armies in the tabletop game are the only xenos in the 40Kverse. FFG should be mass-producing new xenos native to the Koronus Expanse, both to use as adversaries and as sanctioned xenos in RT crews.

Edited by Adeptus-B, 17 June 2014 - 03:50 PM.

• Erathia, pearldrum1 and Sebastian Traitor like this

#24 Errant

Errant

• Members
  • 1,190 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 03:50 PM

I dunno, there aren't any playable Newcrons or Tyranid-hybrids. Doesn't sound more egregious than Tau, so I guess those are next.

Fear in the Eastern Fringe, if playable Newcrons are your thing and you're not averse to well-written house rules.

#25 BaronIveagh

BaronIveagh

• Members
  • 949 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 05:42 PM

Fear in the Eastern Fringe, if playable Newcrons are your thing and you're not averse to well-written house rules.

THe problem I always have with this is the moment I do use house rules, FFG pushes out official ones.  Though I still think mine for the tanks of the IG are superior to what FFG wrote.

#26 Errant

Errant

• Members
  • 1,190 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 05:51 PM

Think of it as inspiring FFG to release new content!

#27 H.B.M.C.

H.B.M.C.

Freelance Writer/Play-Tester

• Members
  • 1,506 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 01:28 AM

Yes.  and writers, even.  Sometimes they ghost through and even troll the forums.

I only troll you Baron.

:P 

BYE

Matt Eustace. Contributing Author Credits: Church of the Damned, The Lathe Worlds, The Lathe Worlds - The Lost Dataslate, Only War Core Rulebook, Hammer of the Emperor, Shield of Humanity, Tome of Fate, Tome of Blood, Tome of Excess and Tome of Decay.

The views expressed in this post are my own. I do not speak for or on behalf of Fantasy Flight Games.

#28 H.B.M.C.

H.B.M.C.

Freelance Writer/Play-Tester

• Members
  • 1,506 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 01:31 AM

THe problem I always have with this is the moment I do use house rules, FFG pushes out official ones.  Though I still think mine for the tanks of the IG are superior to what FFG wrote.

Now who's trolling. ;)

BYE

Matt Eustace. Contributing Author Credits: Church of the Damned, The Lathe Worlds, The Lathe Worlds - The Lost Dataslate, Only War Core Rulebook, Hammer of the Emperor, Shield of Humanity, Tome of Fate, Tome of Blood, Tome of Excess and Tome of Decay.

The views expressed in this post are my own. I do not speak for or on behalf of Fantasy Flight Games.

#29 Marwynn

Marwynn

• Members
  • 503 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 06:35 AM

So, FFG has created the Rak'Gol, Stryxis, Yu'Vath, Egarians, and the Slaugth right? Those are pretty cool, distinctive xenos. They fit in easily in almost any game and they blend well with the rest of the 40K universe.

I guess most of us want big empires as big enemies to deal with. Xenos empires should be flourishing the Expanse, dozens and dozens of them, ready for exploitation and extermination. Even another handful of big threats, not their ruined remnants, would be cool to face. 

It's nothing we can't homebrew, and you guys probably have drawn up a lot of xenos over the years for your own games. If the approval process with GW is long and difficult, then that's understandable. I like the xenos threats we do have. I just want to commit xenocide repeatedly is all. 

Beyond Reach - The New Adventures of the Strom Dynasty

The Tau Fleet | The Tyranid Hive Fleet | Battlefleet Jericho

#30 ak-73

ak-73

• Members
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 01:12 PM

I want small empires. With social structures, rites, culture elements, military structure/power, geography, etc. Stuff to breathe life to xenos races. And this is not created on the fly if it is be convincing instead of cheap cliche.

Alex

Edited by ak-73, 18 June 2014 - 01:12 PM.

• Adeptus-B likes this

My 40K Blog (essentially a Best Of FFG Forums):

http://www.40kroleplay.weebly.com

House Rules, Rule Clarifications, Game Aids, New Creatures, consolidated official Deathwatch Squad Mode rules, 40K Tabletop to 40K Roleplay comversions, etc.

#31 Elavion

Elavion

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 03:59 PM

Fun fact: Most xenos that are mentioned in 40k canon hate humanity for being jerks and attacking them for no reason.

:P

• Tenebrae likes this

#32 Adeptus-B

Adeptus-B

Part-Time Super Villian

• Members
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 05:04 PM

Fun fact: Most xenos that are mentioned in 40k canon hate humanity for being jerks and attacking them for no reason.

Heretic!! Repent thy sins by reporting to the nearest Arbite Precinct-Fortress for immediate execution! Praise the Emperor!

Thought for the day: An open mind is the tool of damnation.

#33 BaronIveagh

BaronIveagh

• Members
  • 949 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 06:51 PM

Now who's trolling. ;)

BYE

And I quote you: "This is not a tank simulator'.

I know the second I roll out a PDF of 'Only War: Realistic Armored Combat'  they'll have you pump out the official version 'Armored Fist: An Only War supplement!' that will turn out to be a series of hilariously grimdark tables to roll on and have nothing to do with how tanks and other armor (or Newtons Laws of Motion) actually work.

Edited by BaronIveagh, 19 June 2014 - 06:53 PM.

• Errant likes this

#34 Amroth

Amroth

• Members
  • 275 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 04:02 AM

Creating fully flourishing Xenos Empires sounds cool.

As for the idea of small PDFs for playable Xenos, what other existing races do people think would make good subjects, Stryxis, Sslyth (forgot how to spell them) perhaps? Other Auxiliary races from the Tau Empire (although I guess these would not be well represented in the Koronus Expanse.......)?

Maybe bring back creatures long abandoned by lore (the last survivors of the Zoat hiding out in the Koronus Expanse)?

#35 Magellan

Magellan

• Members
  • 520 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 05:56 AM

I'd be fine with Zoat, and could also imagine playing one of those crazy butterfly people, but if the Stryxis become playable, you'd have to explain their motivations, and those motivations would doubtless be crap. Though I don't care much for playable xenos myself - even portraying a member of the Imperium is too much for most role players I know. Get back to me when you can play a convincing missionary, and we'll see about alien races.

I don't know if it counts, but in my last campaign, these guys (properly 40k-ified) had a flourishing empire in the Expanse:

http://static2.wikia...1/Evroniani.jpg

Psy-draining, mutations, genetic experiments, oh my!

Though as my players experienced, beating a multi-system alien empire with just your little fleet of ships is hard. Not that you'll have a shortage of willing allies.

Edited by Magellan, 20 June 2014 - 05:59 AM.

I am the latest model of a Fabricator-General
My body isn't nearly as much animal as mineral
My learnedness is legend; my accomplishments historical
For hereteks and aliens my hatred's categorical

#36 Elavion

Elavion

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 03:17 PM

Heretic!! Repent thy sins by reporting to the nearest Arbite Precinct-Fortress for immediate execution! Praise the Emperor!

I'm afraid it will be hard to find one of those within the Screaming Vortex, where I currently reside. Also, I don't have enough slaves in my cargo bays to make it through to the Imperium, I'd burn through them before i made it half way through. Sorry. :<

Edited by Elavion, 20 June 2014 - 03:18 PM.

• Adeptus-B likes this

#37 Sebastian Yorke

Sebastian Yorke

• Members
  • 324 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 03:57 PM

What if they would put a new Warp Gate linking to a Greater Good controlled sector?

With Human, Kroot and Vespid worlds allied with Tau. It could focus on secession and on picturing the Imperium as "the real enemy". Could support turncoat RTs (seceding from the Imperium), smugglers and also Militant ones greatly.

or....

They could make a "final" Yu'Vath & Rak Gol supplement, maybe even a 3 part adventure (like Warpstorm Trilogy) - focused on a Rak Gol & Yu Vath invasion of the Koronus Expanse (maybe in the midst of a Waagh!! coming from Undred Teef).

RT Wannabe Shipwright & Frustrated GM

#38 ak-73

ak-73

• Members
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 11:55 PM

Now who's trolling. ;)

BYE

And I quote you: "This is not a tank simulator'.

I know the second I roll out a PDF of 'Only War: Realistic Armored Combat'  they'll have you pump out the official version 'Armored Fist: An Only War supplement!' that will turn out to be a series of hilariously grimdark tables to roll on and have nothing to do with how tanks and other armor (or Newtons Laws of Motion) actually work.

Okay, I'm intrigued. What are the key features of your set of tank rules? Hit locations, I assume? Because "Hull Down" position would be probably the most important component missing in tank warfare in 40K Roleplay.

Alex

My 40K Blog (essentially a Best Of FFG Forums):

http://www.40kroleplay.weebly.com

House Rules, Rule Clarifications, Game Aids, New Creatures, consolidated official Deathwatch Squad Mode rules, 40K Tabletop to 40K Roleplay comversions, etc.

#39 BaronIveagh

BaronIveagh

• Members
  • 949 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 09:57 AM

Okay, I'm intrigued. What are the key features of your set of tank rules? Hit locations, I assume? Because "Hull Down" position would be probably the most important component missing in tank warfare in 40K Roleplay.

Alex

Location of hit, armor thickness and angle, angle of impact, location of crew positions inside the vehicle, relative motion of the vehicle and target.

Then we get into things like number of rounds that a given hull holds in it's ammo racks (not to be confused with magazines as are represented in weapons stat lines), variant munitions, turret transverse speeds, ammo rack location, mines, losing a track/wheel, spall liners, Schürzen and improvised armor, going hull down (as you mention), mine launchers, and realistic vehicle critical hits.

Edited by BaronIveagh, 21 June 2014 - 10:02 AM.

#40 Adeptus-B

Adeptus-B

Part-Time Super Villian

• Members
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 10:41 AM

They could make a "final" Yu'Vath & Rak Gol supplement, maybe even a 3 part adventure (like Warpstorm Trilogy) - focused on a Rak Gol & Yu Vath invasion of the Koronus Expanse

I'd buy that!

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS