4 Attack on Phantom: Mistake by FFG?

• Please log in to reply
436 replies to this topic

#1 Ribann

Ribann

• Members
  • 453 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 09:49 PM

I wish I could start a poll, but I'll have to keep count front replies. Some of us have had some time to mess around with the Phantom either from winning one at AoIA or on Vassal. I'm curious if you think FFG made a slight oversight when they thought to give the TIE Phantom a base 4 attack? Most people I've played with or against who have flown the Phantom all agree 4 is way too much. I've flown it myself and so long as I'm not up against a Falcon, I can pretty much single-handily wipe out my opponent with just a VI Whisper+Adv Cloaking Device+FCS or Adv. Sensors. In fact, I'm so confident it could happen I'd be willing to run JUST a decked out Whisper against any list that doesn't have any 360* firing arc ships.

TL;DR Is the base 4 attack on a Phantom too much?

Discuss.

• Shinren and IronTau like this

#2 Sithborg

Sithborg

• Members
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 09:55 PM

Not really, it makes it a very large glass cannon. It is just going to take some time to adjust tactics and flying when you don't run turrets.

• admiralcrunch likes this

#3 Kaxel Vofer

Kaxel Vofer

• Members
  • 590 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 10:06 PM

I agree, it's tottaly conform to the design of the ship, it's a hitter, greettings.

"That the reward for you, don´t be so high".

Kaxel Vofer.

#4 R2ShihTzu

R2ShihTzu

• Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 10:13 PM

Not at all. How about people actually put in some time against it before announcing it broken? A handful of games post-Imdaar are hardly sufficient sample size to declare it a "mistake."
  • progressions, Forensicus, Hida77 and 2 others like this

#5 DagobahDave

DagobahDave

• Members
  • 981 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 10:17 PM

Isn't the high attack rating sort of balanced out by cloaking? That is, you're skipping your chance to fire at all during rounds when you're using its gimmick, and it's vulnerable with just 4 hit points when you aren't. Seems like a high-risk, high-reward sort of ship.

• Digitalkiller, rym and admiralcrunch like this

Join the Unofficial X-Wing Galactic Campaign and propel your favorite faction toward victory every time you play!

#6 Darth evil

Darth evil

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 10:32 PM

nope, the rebels have turrets galore, imp get very hitty cloaked ship.

• Ghaerdon likes this

Empire ship: Tie Fighter x7, Tie Interceptor x6, Tie Advanced,Tie Bombers x4,Lambda Shuttle x2 ,Firespray,Tie Phantom,Tie Defender

Rebel Ships:X-wing x4,B-wing x3,Y-wing x2, A-wing x2, YT-1300,E-wing x1

#7 Ribann

Ribann

• Members
  • 453 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 10:33 PM

Not at all. How about people actually put in some time against it before announcing it broken? A handful of games post-Imdaar are hardly sufficient sample size to declare it a "mistake."

I didn't announce it was broken. I didn't declare it a "mistake". Perhaps you should learn to read and understand before jumping to conclusions.

• JCDisaray, yoink101 and enochobus like this

#8 Ribann

Ribann

• Members
  • 453 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 10:37 PM

Isn't the high attack rating sort of balanced out by cloaking? That is, you're skipping your chance to fire at all during rounds when you're using its gimmick, and it's vulnerable with just 4 hit points when you aren't. Seems like a high-risk, high-reward sort of ship.

A good player can easily get shots in every round with a TIE Phantom and cloak back up with Adv. Cloaking Device.

There is no "high risk" with the Phantom. If you fly it properly, you can literally get out of range of every arc and still have shots.

• bobbywhiskey and KineticOperator like this

#9 mrkyle

mrkyle

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 10:40 PM

A good player can easily get shots in every round with a TIE Phantom and cloak back up with Adv. Cloaking Device.

There is no "high risk" with the Phantom. If you fly it properly, you can literally get out of range of every arc and still have shots.

Your opponents aren't very good at spreading their firing arcs if they can NEVER shoot at it. A phantom i slippery, but far from impossible to hit. Cloak all you want, I don't trust green dice, one bad roll and he's crippled or dead

• Smuggler, Parakitor and rym like this

#10 Ribann

Ribann

• Members
  • 453 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 10:44 PM

Your opponents aren't very good at spreading their firing arcs if they can NEVER shoot at it. A phantom i slippery, but far from impossible to hit. Cloak all you want, I don't trust green dice, one bad roll and he's crippled or dead

1) Opponents are good (I mainly play on Vassal)

2) Obviously it isn't IMPOSSIBLE to hit.

3) If people aren't getting shots on it, there are no green dice to roll.

Case closed.

#11 executor

executor

• Members
  • 476 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 10:48 PM

why does this thread even exist?

• Hygric, InvestFDC, UltimateZing and 10 others like this

Current Fleet

Rebellion: 5 X-wings, 4 Y-wings, 5 A-wings, 3 B-wings, 1 HWK-290, 2 YT-1300's, 2 E-wings, 1 Z-95, 1 Rebel Transport, 1 CR-90

Empire: 8 Tie Fighters, 2 Tie Advanced, 9 Tie Interceptors, 3 Tie Bombers, 1 Lambda Shuttle, 3 Firespray 31's, 2 Tie Phantoms, 2 Tie Defenders

#12 Sithborg

Sithborg

• Members
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 10:49 PM

Oh, there is plenty of risk with the Phantom. One misplacement, you are trusting the dice. Even with Whisper's many Focus tokens. Yes, the Phantom is very slippery. But as many Soontir Fel's I've seen can tell you, green dice aren't everything. And it is going to take time for us to adjust to the Phantoms movements. The movement of the squad is key for fighting the Phantom. You have to set up a good grid of firing arcs. Of course, high PS is handy as well. I would love to see Soontir and friends fly against Phantoms. It would be fun to watch.

• JCDisaray and Ribann like this

#13 Ribann

Ribann

• Members
  • 453 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 10:53 PM

Why do you ask inane questions?

• JCDisaray likes this

#14 executor

executor

• Members
  • 476 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 10:55 PM

i think the real question is, why do you start inane threads?

• Hygric, Nematode, InvestFDC and 6 others like this

Current Fleet

Rebellion: 5 X-wings, 4 Y-wings, 5 A-wings, 3 B-wings, 1 HWK-290, 2 YT-1300's, 2 E-wings, 1 Z-95, 1 Rebel Transport, 1 CR-90

Empire: 8 Tie Fighters, 2 Tie Advanced, 9 Tie Interceptors, 3 Tie Bombers, 1 Lambda Shuttle, 3 Firespray 31's, 2 Tie Phantoms, 2 Tie Defenders

#15 Ribann

Ribann

• Members
  • 453 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 11:02 PM

i think the real question is, why do you start inane threads?

I bring it up because most people whom I've played against with the Phantom (either myself or them) all agree that 4 dice may be a bit too much. I think it is a reasonable observation. Sure, it is hella fun, but 4 dice? Is it a bit too much?

I'm going to assume you haven't played with it and are just upset because others have. 

#16 Takeda

Takeda

• Members
  • 429 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 11:05 PM

I wish I could start a poll, but I'll have to keep count front replies. Some of us have had some time to mess around with the Phantom either from winning one at AoIA or on Vassal. I'm curious if you think FFG made a slight oversight when they thought to give the TIE Phantom a base 4 attack? Most people I've played with or against who have flown the Phantom all agree 4 is way too much. I've flown it myself and so long as I'm not up against a Falcon, I can pretty much single-handily wipe out my opponent with just a VI Whisper+Adv Cloaking Device+FCS or Adv. Sensors. In fact, I'm so confident it could happen I'd be willing to run JUST a decked out Whisper against any list that doesn't have any 360* firing arc ships.

TL;DR Is the base 4 attack on a Phantom too much?

Nope 4 attack is just what it needed. It will aid me is sending all the space hippies to the land there yonder. The only good rebel is a dead one:)
Discuss.

#17 Takeda

Takeda

• Members
  • 429 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 11:08 PM

Oh, there is plenty of risk with the Phantom. One misplacement, you are trusting the dice. Even with Whisper's many Focus tokens. Yes, the Phantom is very slippery. But as many Soontir Fel's I've seen can tell you, green dice aren't everything. And it is going to take time for us to adjust to the Phantoms movements. The movement of the squad is key for fighting the Phantom. You have to set up a good grid of firing arcs. Of course, high PS is handy as well. I would love to see Soontir and friends fly against Phantoms. It would be fun to watch.

Yes there is risk, which is why we choose to fly engine upgrade and senssy senors:)

#18 Sithborg

Sithborg

• Members
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 11:12 PM

Which still means nothing once people have figured out the best way to trap a Phantom. Look, I know the threat of the Phantom. I saw it absolutely tear up the Rebel play at Imdaar Alpha. But, that was mainly because the Rebel player was very obviously not setting up his arcs properly. I know it is not intuitive in this game, but you are going to have to split up your firepower, in order to land hits on the Phantom.

#19 Takeda

Takeda

• Members
  • 429 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 11:17 PM

Rex ,Echo, Curse here we come!

#20 Vorpal Sword

Vorpal Sword

• Members
  • 2,090 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 11:20 PM

It's a little late in the thread, but what the heck:

No.

This has been another edition of Short Answers to Simple Questions. Tune in next time...
  • Smuggler, Hygric, Nematode and 18 others like this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS