Strategy

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 DarkRaven47

DarkRaven47

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 08:15 AM

Hi again! So I'm into Dunwich Horror now and had a couple of questions about strategy. Both games I have played have resulted in the Ancient One waking up. It felt less like bad luck or the game beating us than just not having enough time. I'm wondering about strategy. Typically we have tried to close gates as soon as possible. That worked very well in both the base game and Curse of the Dark Pharaoh but it seems with the addition of the extra board, too many gates open too fast. Should we alter our strategy a bit? I don't mind losing at all, but I've felt more confused than defeated these last two games. We have been asking ourselves 'what could we have done differently?' rather than 'wow, we got our butts kicked.' Thanks for he insight!

#2 Corpus

Corpus

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 12:53 PM

Try not closing asap but instead gathering 5 clue tokens on a couple of investigators and then going in. The rest work on other clue tokens and cleaning up monsters, or $ and getting unique items including elder signs.

#3 Corpus

Corpus

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 12:54 PM

In other words monster surges are a small price to pay for sealed locations.

#4 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,264 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 01:11 PM

Additionally, remember that locations have different frequencies for gates to open. On the main board: Independence Square, Unvisited Isle, The Woods, The Witch House; on the Dunwich board: Wizard's Hill (and in some minor measure, Gardner's Place): never close these unless you're desperate (gate limit approaching) but seal them. Otherwise leave them open and control the monsters eventually risking to trigger the Dunwich Horror.

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#5 Gary Manning

Gary Manning

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 04:46 AM

+1 Julia,

Plus, depening on how many players you are: we generally play 4. We rotate with the following strategy for Dunwich, Innsmoth and Kingsport:

1. One of the players is always in the region of the Station,able to move into the additional board on a moments notice if necessary.
2. One of the players is always 'on' the additional board. The additional board is never left un-manned, even if we rotate with characters....

3. Having Sisiter Mary, on a motorcycle with two carbine rifles (one handed each), patrolling the extra board is always fun, especially with her being blessed........ :-) :-)
  • The Professor and Dr.Faust like this

#6 Dr.Faust

Dr.Faust

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 01:38 PM

3. Having Sisiter Mary, on a motorcycle with two carbine rifles (one handed each), patrolling the extra board is always fun, especially with her being blessed........ :-) :-)

Would that make her:

'Mary, Queen of Shots'?

• subochre likes this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS