New idea for a mine. [ordinance]

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Radzap

Radzap

• Members
  • 284 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 11:13 PM

I had a conversation with a friend after a congenial scrimmage today about the Empire's lack of anything resembling a turret. We both agreed that it's a great big sucking void in the Emperor's arsenal. Then it dawned on me that in the X-Wing [Lucas Arts] video game the Imperials used to have mines that were really more like sentry guns. I don't think it would be too much to put something like that in the game. Give them Tie strength attack with a few Hps and have them stationary once they are deployed. They should fire as a normal turret and probably have no pilot skill.

Imagine wing of bombers flying and dropping some of these pesky dudes down. It would be pretty nice area denial, plus it would sorta scratch that turret itch while still being faithful to Imperial fluff. What do you think?

• ixdta39 likes this

Imperial Ships:  5 Tie Fighters -- 5 Tie Interceptors -- 1 Tie Advanced -- 5 Tie Bomber -- 2 Firespray-31 -- 1 Lamba-Class Shuttle --   2 Defenders -- 1 Phantom

Rebel Scum: 3 X-Wing Fighters -- 1 Y-Wing Fighter -- 1 B-Wing Fighter -- 1 A-Wing Fighter -- 1 HWK-290 -- 1 YT-1300

#2 macar

macar

• Members
  • 487 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 11:18 PM

I think mines with a magnetic pull on them would be cool. After deployed, if any ship ends his maneuver within range 1 of the mine, the mine is moved to the ship until touching. Then detonates like normal (anything @ range 1 suffers 1 damage)

2013 Regionals 1st Indy, Top 16 Nationals(US)

2014 Store Championship 1st Ohio Regional 1st, Chicago Regional Top 16

#3 Explosive Ewok

Explosive Ewok

• Members
  • 358 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 11:20 PM

An interesting idea.

I'm all for game additions that reminds me of playing TIE Fighter. They could have a range of 2, with range 1 giving the usual extra red. Give it 2 hull and no shields, so that is as easy to destroy as the ones from the game, but the drawback is that's your attack. Choose between shooting a fighter or a turret for that round.

I'd like to see it, I might even come up with some rules for it during casual play.
"The world is like a ride at an amusement park, and when you choose to go on it you think it's real because that's how powerful our minds really are..."

#4 Stelar 7

Stelar 7

• Members
  • 649 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 11:21 PM

I like it, but I wold give them only 1 hit and 1 attack die. They exploded when anything hit them in the game and just the act of denying your opponent a shot is a big deal in this game.

I have no idea about the cost though.
Rebel scum: 5 X-Wings, 4 Y-Wings, 3 A-Wings, 3 B-Wings, 2 Hawks, 1Falcon, 2 E-Wings, 4 Z-95 1 Transport.

Imperial cannon fodder: 2 Phantoms, 2 Defenders, 7 Tie Fighters, 7 Interceptors, 3 Bombers, 2 Lambdas, 3 Firesprays, 1 Vader, er Tie Advanced

#5 Scurvy Lobster

Scurvy Lobster

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 11:37 PM

Mines in the TIE Fighter game were very slow firing so I'm on the 1 attack boat. I could see that mine deployment being a fun addition to a large/huge ship.

#6 Stelar 7

Stelar 7

• Members
  • 649 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 11:44 PM

I like the range 2 max thing with +1 attack die if you get too close. I am pretty sure I recall those jerk defectors taunting me about getting too close to the mines when I was clearing them in my Interceptor.

Edited by Stelar 7, 12 June 2014 - 11:44 PM.

• Radzap likes this
Rebel scum: 5 X-Wings, 4 Y-Wings, 3 A-Wings, 3 B-Wings, 2 Hawks, 1Falcon, 2 E-Wings, 4 Z-95 1 Transport.

Imperial cannon fodder: 2 Phantoms, 2 Defenders, 7 Tie Fighters, 7 Interceptors, 3 Bombers, 2 Lambdas, 3 Firesprays, 1 Vader, er Tie Advanced

#7 ixdta39

ixdta39

• Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 05:01 PM

Even with wave 5 announced, and wow even the VT has a bomb slot, I'd still like to see the possibility of a mine field in the game.  

Something like a 1 primary attack 360 arc at R1-2. 0 agility and 1 hull.  Also for the smaller of the epic imperial ships something like a mine layer that as like 5 bomb slots :D

Just my thoughts and wishes

• Radzap likes this

#8 IvlerIin

IvlerIin

• Members
  • 546 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 05:07 PM

Ion Mines?? Mini version of the Ionization Reactor but does double Ion tokens instead of Ion + DMG.
  • ixdta39 and Radzap like this

It's read as "Merlin"... and yes, like Ivlagic...

#9 ixdta39

ixdta39

• Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 05:25 PM

Ion Mines?? Mini version of the Ionization Reactor but does double Ion tokens instead of Ion + DMG.

Hmm...that'd be interesting and wouldn't get too much QQ from the rebel community since it doesn't do damage and thus add an extra set of guns to a list.  The ion would be annoying with stress however since so many ships from rebel could equip turrets it might be considered a wash

#10 Babaganoosh

Babaganoosh

• Members
  • 500 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 05:30 PM

Interesting idea.  Gun mines, ion mines are possibilities.  Maybe flechette bombs could work too.  Not many bombs or mines are out there in the EU or movies, to my knowledge, but there are plenty of possibilities.  Just draw on real-life naval and land mines.  

Also:

PSA: Ordinance

Just putting it out there.

Edited by Babaganoosh, 13 June 2014 - 05:30 PM.

• Sideslip likes this

#11 ixdta39

ixdta39

• Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 05:36 PM

Interesting idea.  Gun mines, ion mines are possibilities.  Maybe flechette bombs could work too.  Not many bombs or mines are out there in the EU or movies, to my knowledge, but there are plenty of possibilities.  Just draw on real-life naval and land mines.  

Also:

PSA: Ordinance

Just putting it out there.

Heh yeah I am aware of the ordnance PSA ;).  Still though something cool on multiple imperial ships like an astromech type upgrade would be nice and that's what kinda spawned mine and Radzap's tangent into the minefield idea.  

We liked the idea so much because right now bombs are exclusive to imperial and more than just one imperial ship can support the upgrade.  Either way I am loving the work that FFG is doing and eager to see what else they have in store for us enthusiasts.

• Radzap likes this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS