Pet Peeves

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 Seiito

Seiito

• Members
  • 326 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 07:39 PM

Just wondering what everyone else finds annoying in an RPG group.

Also feel free to detail your solutions to these problems, if any, and how they have succeeded/failed.

Edited by Seiito, 17 June 2014 - 11:21 AM.

#2 2P51

2P51

• Members
  • 3,551 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 07:44 PM

I am fortunate in that I have never been a group with other than good friends, or people referred by good friends, so the group was very well vetted for tools.

My group's Obsidian Portal campaign site: It's All in the Trigger Squeeze

#3 kaosoe

kaosoe

Not the GM my players need, but the one they deserve.

• Members
  • 1,671 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 07:53 PM

The biggest one is the sheer anger that some of my players get after a series of bad rolls. We've all been there, but some of these people are very unbecoming.

Also, I have a player that assumes too much in the group. He knows quite a bit about Star Wars lore, and all his characters inherit the knowledge, I've purposely steered the story in complete opposite ways when he begins to rattle off various Star Wars facts of the the current situation.

I have many more, but if I named them all, people would assume I have a bad group, which is simply not the case.

• Col. Orange and whafrog like this

Scavenger - On the d20Radio forums.

Pronounced: Kay - Oh - So

#4 swiftdraw

swiftdraw

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 08:28 PM

Dinking around with your bloody smartphone hwen the game is going on. Oh, you missed that it was your turn because you were on Facebook? You character was also distracted and was unable to act. Darn, sucks to be you.

• Sturn, awayputurwpn, Col. Orange and 14 others like this

#5 Enjolras40

Enjolras40

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 09:16 PM

When one player tries to override everyone else, everytime, because he thinks his character can do something cool.  We get it, your character is cool.  But everyone else thinks theirs is as well.

• Col. Orange, I. J. Thompson, themensch and 3 others like this

#6 PrettyHaley

PrettyHaley

• Members
  • 287 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 09:24 PM

I'm quick coming up on a year of rpg experience and I've only played with the same players: my brother, two of his friends and my dad is the gm. I guess my only issue is how the time we all agree to get together is sort of a loose suggestion to one of those bozos, in particular. He gets away with it because he shows up with my dad's favorite soda... :P

Edited by PrettyHaley, 12 June 2014 - 09:24 PM.

• Col. Orange and artteach like this

- Haley

#7 PrettyHaley

PrettyHaley

• Members
  • 287 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 09:30 PM

Dinking around with your bloody smartphone hwen the game is going on. Oh, you missed that it was your turn because you were on Facebook? You character was also distracted and was unable to act. Darn, sucks to be you.

I'm the only one at our table allowed electronics because I use an ipad to roll dice. In general, my dad has that rule at the game table. In fact he has it about the dinner table, the breakfast table... Hmmm! I see a trend. What is it about him and tables!?!?
  • Josep Maria, Desslok, whafrog and 2 others like this

- Haley

#8 Kshatriya

Kshatriya

• Members
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 09:32 PM

I mostly play over Skype so that might color things a little.

#1 pet peeve: players who put little or no effort into reading/understanding the rules. There are 2 guy in my group who still doesn't know what each symbol on the dice means after playing for months. Drives me ****ing crazy.

After that, it's people who stop paying attention or go afk and slow everything down because of it. I hate picking up slack, I hate also feeling like I'm stealing the spotlight too much, even if nobody else is trying to step into it and the game is stalling as a result.

#9 Desslok

Desslok

• Members
  • 1,483 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 10:50 PM

Just wondering what everyone else finds annoying in an RPG group.

What bugs the hell out of me? Easy - electronic distractions. Put down the goddamn Ipad, Your farm will not die if you aren't constantly tending to it. Interact with the other humans at the table instead.

Or go away - if you'd rather play video games, then play video games and quit wasting my time.

• Col. Orange, korjik, Josep Maria and 2 others like this

#10 Col. Orange

Col. Orange

• Members
  • 1,102 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 02:32 AM

swiftdraw (edit: and Desslok) wins.

Edited by Col. Orange, 13 June 2014 - 05:01 AM.

What's written above is meant with love

#11 Col. Orange

Col. Orange

• Members
  • 1,102 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 02:36 AM

A player or the GM telling another player what their character would or would not do or what they'd think.

Unless you're playing some babbling fool, 90% of your character never leaves your head.

• kaosoe likes this

What's written above is meant with love

#12 That Blasted Samophlange

That Blasted Samophlange

• Members
  • 1,215 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 04:02 AM

As someone who has rolled 17 '1's in a row, I understand the anger. I roll abysmally on the rare ocasion I get to play in a game. I also roll brutally good when I run a game.

As to electronics, I have to keep my phone near me as my partner may need backup or a tag out for our little one, and have to leave, but I don't fiddle.

My pet peave is the perpetual min-maxer or tgose that plan out their character from creation to max level. Have an idea sure, but don't hog the core book building your character to level 20 when people need to make their character. I get wanting to make a capable character. Generally, nobody wants to make a useless character.

Finally, and this applies to more than gaming, if you can't make it because life throws you a curveball, I understand. But for fraks sake, communicate it to everyone.
  • kaosoe likes this
You're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point if EU.

#13 DanteRotterdam

DanteRotterdam

• Members
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 05:22 AM

#1 Smart phones and/or digital character sheets.

#2 Players not having spent the 15 minutes needed to spend their XP between sessions but expect the GM to have spent hours in preparation for them.

#3 Walking out to go to the bathroom mid-session (or even midway through a description).

#4 Second guessing GM decision and acting indignent when you have to roll for something to work

#5 Looking at the GM to provide all the fun

#6 Making a joke every time you are interacting with something and then when the GM reacts seriously on it saying "Just kidding! Come on I wasn't really going to do that...."

#7 Critizing a system if your plan doesn't work out as you would have wanted

#8 Showing up way too late to a session

#9 Infighting

• awayputurwpn, Col. Orange, I. J. Thompson and 3 others like this

#14 Sturn

Sturn

• Members
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 05:39 AM

#3 Walking out to go to the bathroom mid-session (or even midway through a description).

I'm getting older. That can lead to more trips to the bathroom. If I joined your group would I need to wear depends? :)

#1 Smart phones

This is my #1 also. BUT, I don't force them to NOT have it at the table, just don't play with it. As noted above, some of us have children that could have an emergency or have a workplace that may need to get ahold of them in an emergency.

The outside distractions (don't play with your iphone, turn off that football game on in the background) I think are less of an issue with this narrative play, when it's done right. When running d20 campaigns, a good indication for me of how well the session was going was how many times I had to remind players it was their, "turn", and pull them back from an electronic device, looking at a game manual, etc. But, to be fair, d20 had large lulls for the other players during combat as they awaited their turn. EotE/FFGWarhammer helps greatly to alleviate this with 1) Participation out of turn, and 2) Dynamic initiative, you never know when it might be your turn so pay attention, 3) What the other players did during their turn can more greatly affect what you do - less repeated rounds of generic hit and apply damage repeatedly.

I think I'm making sense?

Edited by Sturn, 13 June 2014 - 05:58 AM.

#15 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 5,974 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 05:53 AM

If my players and I only got together when none of us were on-call, our gaming time would be much less than it is now.

• Sturn likes this

Ignore, Ignore, you must learn Ignore!

Now Ignoring: Nobody.

#16 Sturn

Sturn

• Members
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 05:59 AM

If my players and I only got together when none of us were on-call, our gaming time would be much less than it is now.

Some of us are ALWAYS on call. Not sure if that deserves a :) or :(.   How about a :unsure: ?

#17 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 5,974 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 06:02 AM

Two of my players and I can technically be considered always on-call, but that's really just a disaster readiness requirement that would require us to report in within 30 minutes if something really bad happens. Thankfully, we play at my place which is only 15 minutes from base.

Ignore, Ignore, you must learn Ignore!

Now Ignoring: Nobody.

#18 DanteRotterdam

DanteRotterdam

• Members
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 06:03 AM

#3 Walking out to go to the bathroom mid-session (or even midway through a description).

I'm getting older. That can lead to more trips to the bathroom. If I joined your group would I need to wear depends? :)

Let me clearify. I don't mind restroom breaks of course, but I would like to be breaks not people just getting up and walking off mid-game...

#1 Smart phones

This is my #1 also. BUT, I don't force them to NOT have it at the table, just don't play with it. As noted above, some of us have children that could have an emergency or have a workplace that may need to get ahold of them in an emergency.

The outside distractions (don't play with your iphone, turn off that football game on in the background) I think are less of an issue with this narrative play, when it's done right. When running d20 campaigns, a good indication for me of how well the session was going was how many times I had to remind players it was their, "turn", and pull them back from an electronic device, looking at a game manual, etc. But, to be fair, d20 had large lulls for the other players during combat as they awaited their turn. EotE/FFGWarhammer helps greatly to alleviate this with 1) Participation out of turn, and 2) Dynamic initiative, you never know when it might be your turn so pay attention, 3) What the other players did during their turn can more greatly affect what you do - less repeated rounds of generic hit and apply damage repeatedly.

I think I'm making sense?

I don't mind people being "on call" to be honest. But I do not enjoy playing a game where my players and/or myself are distracted by such things.

#19 Sturn

Sturn

• Members
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 06:20 AM

Two of my players and I can technically be considered always on-call, but that's really just a disaster readiness requirement that would require us to report in within 30 minutes if something really bad happens. Thankfully, we play at my place which is only 15 minutes from base.

So you could at least get in one more round before leaving? :)

@Dante - I was being funny, not complaining, I understand your point and agree with it. This was my point. Older males in your group might need some consideration given this is quite common. They aren't meaning to be disrespectful, but avoiding some embrassment and clean-up on aisle 3.

Edited by Sturn, 13 June 2014 - 06:32 AM.

• kaosoe and DanteRotterdam like this

#20 kaosoe

kaosoe

Not the GM my players need, but the one they deserve.

• Members
  • 1,671 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 06:38 AM

I thought of another one that infuriates me. I have a particular player that has a habit of disrupting the game constantly to shoot the breeze with another player. It's never about the game it's always "Have you seen....." or "did you read....".

In the middle of the game I usually let it slide because we're all here as a means to hang out, but it's annoying when I think about it afterwords.

• Kshatriya, whafrog, DanteRotterdam and 1 other like this

Scavenger - On the d20Radio forums.

Pronounced: Kay - Oh - So

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS