Want a coop game .. just like LoTR LCG

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Xavant

Xavant

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 07:31 PM

Would find it more fun to have myself either solo against the Darkside with 3 Heroes of

my choosing to go up against the Evil Galactic Empire. Or, have myself and 3 friends,

each of us using either 1 Hero type or up to 3 Hero types and go for it !

To make a solid game...  Have the Core Rules set, Deluxe Expansions can be either

Planets (there are many, so divide them into parts of the galaxy. Star Wars The Old

Republic does this best!). Then, come out with Adventure Packs (6 per deluxe expansion).

Oh, I know... I am dreaming aren't I !?  FFG.. you can still do this!  After all, you've the

Force on your side! :D

• spalanzani and BountainMike like this

#2 telengard

telengard

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 07:40 PM

Agreed.  I was *very* dissappointed at the change in direction of the SW LCG after GenCon (was it 2012)?  Was hoping the upcoming SW game annoucment would be such a thing.  I own the game it is reworking and it is OK, but I'd much rather have seen a co-op.

• Xavant likes this

#3 Venthrac

Venthrac

• Members
  • 886 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 10:33 PM

I'd dig a co-op Star Wars game.
  • Xavant likes this

#4 TwiceBornh

TwiceBornh

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 02:36 AM

As would I.

#5 oldoly

oldoly

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 09:35 AM

I agree. Having a SW coop game like
Lotr would be amazing. I would imagine this would be a huge money maker for ffg as well as you could have light and dark side campaigns...

My wife and wallet are probably happy this doesn't exist though.
  • Xavant likes this

#6 GalaxyUC

GalaxyUC

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 09:56 AM

I was super pumped for the SW LCG... until they switched to PvP. I detest what that game became, but looks like there's a strong market for it, though I never see anyone playing it at LGS's in Chicago.

#7 GalaxyUC

GalaxyUC

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 09:58 AM

To be fair, I should add that I also never see anyone ever playing LotR: LCG either. But I do love that game. Thanks to EASY mode!

#8 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

• Members
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 01:06 PM

I fall squarely into this camp. I have been holding my breath for a stand-alone Star Wars co-op card game from FFG. I saw this announcement and got really excited, only to have that excitement fall as I realized it was another 2-player game.

Still, the mechanics are simple enough that my wife might play it with me (she refuses to play the LCG because of its complexity). However, she really prefers co-ops and I think a cooperative SW game would see a lot of play.

But hey, for $13 bucks, I'll probably pick it up and see how it plays. It's not exactly a huge monetary investment.

• spalanzani likes this

"There is a fine line between neutral and amoral. In fact, there may be no line there at all."

--Count Dooku

#9 I. J. Thompson

I. J. Thompson

• Members
  • 918 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 04:15 PM

I'm with you guys - I was very disappointed when the LCG was made into a PvP game. I still bought it, and the first four-or-so Force packs, because I love the art. But the game didn't look fun to me, and it looked too complicated to attract my primary opponent (my son). I acknowledge that those who play it seem to love it, but it's just not my bag.

I had no idea another SW card game was in the pipe, and I'm really surprised that FFG are doing more of same (2-player PvP), instead of making a card game for the rest of us...

• spalanzani likes this

#10 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

• Members
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 04:50 PM

On the plus side, I.J., this one should be simple enough to play with your son. I'm gonna try playing it with my kindergarten-aged daughter and see how it goes. Because she's so young, it probably won't play the way the designers intended, but if it helps me bond with my children, I'll give it a try. 

"There is a fine line between neutral and amoral. In fact, there may be no line there at all."

--Count Dooku

#11 carolina_bryan

carolina_bryan

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 08:44 AM

Yes, I'm glad they are releasing this, because the LCG was not a hit with my family (i.e. wife, my primary gaming partner) or my gaming group (and not for lack of me buying product or trying to sell them on it).  So I am glad that I will have at least one Star Wars game that I can just break out and play (no deck contruction, etc.).

However, when I first saw the announcement I was CONVINCED this was finally the release of the original co-op game they designed and then scrapped.  I was really disapponted when it wasn't.  My wife and gaming group would LOVE a Star War coop.

Honestly, I think if they released a Star Wars LCG that essentially a clone (no pun intended) of the LOTR LCG it would be a hit even despite the lack of orginality.  Given that they already put some development time into the coop card game, i just don't understand why they wouldn't release it.

#12 Moses2813

Moses2813

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 07:03 AM

I pretty much agree with all of you. I really like to play LOTR LCG because of the solo variant.  I have the cards for the Star Wars LCG but I would love solo play for Star Wars.  The reason pretty much is that finding other players for the current Star Wars LCG is tough.  My experience is that players are in pockets across the country and despite a lot of effort to get players in my local area to play, it has been almost impossible.  I am in Kansas and have found a player in Topeka and one in Emporia and that it.  There is a group in Kansas City area but its a 2 hour drive. 

Bottom line is that I cannot see myself buying into the game.

Edited by Moses2813, 18 June 2014 - 07:05 AM.

#13 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

• Members
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 09:46 AM

I think part of the problem is that us pro-cooperative players are so desperate for SW that we're buing the current LCG which tells FFG that switching to PvP was the right move. At least I know I'm guilty of that. Though I have to admit that I truly love the LCG, I just wish I could have a co-op one too.

--Count Dooku

#14 spirit

spirit

• Members
  • 416 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 11:35 AM

I just don't get this release at all. They have a 2 player pvp star wars card game. What does this offer that's new? I want a co-op Star wars game. Or a big multiplayer multi faction star wars game.

#15 spalanzani

spalanzani

• Members
  • 798 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 02:01 PM

I remember ages ago advocating a co-op Star Wars game, simply because it makes sense from the perspective that the films want you to root for the rebels, they want you to hate the Empire, etc. We're not meant to want to play genocidal maniacs with more money and ships than morals! But anyway. Hopefully a co-op game will come sometime down the line, and I'm so glad to have found this thread so I don't feel so alone in that! 

With a bit of luck, we'll get something, though. Like Elder Sign to Call of Cthulhu, I'm sure they'll give us a co-op game to counterbalance the LCG...

• I. J. Thompson likes this

www.spalanz.com - everything you never wanted to know about me, in one place.

#16 Baphomet69

Baphomet69

• Members
  • 427 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 12:50 PM

Another +1 for single player enabled co-op.

#17 hyeroler

hyeroler

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 10:09 PM

+ 1 for solo and multi-player co-op

I bought the SW LCG, played it once or twice with my daughter and we both felt it VERY unsatisfying... just didn't feel like Star Wars to us. The ONLY reason I would buy anything beyond the core set is the AMAZING artwork. I am just awed by it, but I just can't get myself to literally "buy" it.

I own the LotR LCG and love it. I enjoy the solo variant, and would REALLY like the SW game to take the same approach. Litterally re-skin it and use LS against the DS AI deck. That to me would be VERY satisfying indeed.

Come on FFG... make the game we want! the ONLY PvP game I enjoyed was SW Minis and MtG.

Edited by hyeroler, 29 June 2014 - 10:09 PM.

• Xavant likes this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS