• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 06:59 PM

A list I’m thinking of running in a local event:

3 x Black Squadron Pilots with VI
Dark Curse
Mauler Mithel with Draw Their Fire
Howlrunner with Hull Upgrade.

So PS scores are all 6 and above, with some protection on Howl.

How do people find High PS 6 TIE swarms, especially when compared with low PS 7 TIE variants?

(As background, I find with low PS swarms I end up losing a ship (or even two) before getting to shoot. Thought a high PS 6 TIE list might be potentially as effective).

Thoughts?

Come visit me at Imagined Realms.

#2 Baphomet69

Baphomet69

• Members
  • 429 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 07:03 PM

I play the 6 TIE named pilot list often to good effect. Lowest PS's are 5s, but that doesn't bother me.

#3 DraconPyrothayan

DraconPyrothayan

• Members
  • 3,138 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 07:06 PM

I think Howlrunner + 6 Obsidians is enough of a PS bid for me.

Now, with your fleet, I would cut Dark Curse and Mauler Mithel, turn them into more Blacks, and give all of them Draw Their Fire instead of Veterans Instincts. This keeps Howlrunner alive for an amazing amount of time, and since she practically doubles your offensive power, this is only a good thing.

#4 Baphomet69

Baphomet69

• Members
  • 429 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 07:10 PM

Hmmm... 2 observations;

1) I never thought of the implication of multiple DTF...the user determines which ship with DTF takes the hit?

2) Never used it, never noticed it's only Crits. That kind of sucks.
  • DraconPyrothayan likes this

#5 sonova

sonova

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 07:23 PM

Mathematically a TIE fighter with focus should mitigate 1.8 incoming damage and 1.125 damage unfocused. 3 dice attacks with focus only put out 2.25 damage on average. Therefore a focused TIE will take an average of 3 shots to take down.

Multiple instances of DTF extends the lifespans of your TIEs significantly since even the 2 damage crit doesnt matter much if it is going onto an undamaged TIE. 

Edited by sonova, 12 June 2014 - 07:24 PM.

#6 Imagined Realms

Imagined Realms

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 07:37 PM

Now, with your fleet, I would cut Dark Curse and Mauler Mithel, turn them into more Blacks, and give all of them Draw Their Fire instead of Veterans Instincts. This keeps Howlrunner alive for an amazing amount of time, and since she practically doubles your offensive power, this is only a good thing.

I can appreciate the advantages of this change - but that's a LOT of Falcons to buy lol.
  • Sekac likes this

#7 Baphomet69

Baphomet69

• Members
  • 429 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 07:42 PM

I can appreciate the advantages of this change - but that's a LOT of Falcons to buy lol.

*whisper* color copier and sleeve /*whisper*

#8 Baphomet69

Baphomet69

• Members
  • 429 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 07:46 PM

Mathematically a TIE fighter with focus should mitigate 1.8 incoming damage and 1.125 damage unfocused. 3 dice attacks with focus only put out 2.25 damage on average. Therefore a focused TIE will take an average of 3 shots to take down.

Multiple instances of DTF extends the lifespans of your TIEs significantly since even the 2 damage crit doesnt matter much if it is going onto an undamaged TIE.

Well, yeah, but with it only mitigating Crits, Howlrunner isn't as protected as it first seems.

#9 Rakky Wistol

Rakky Wistol

The Grey

• Members
  • 2,854 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 07:56 PM

PS swarms are a big thing and likely getting bigger. I prefer a mix so that I still have a blocker or 2 and my important pieces are upgraded but ya... 6 ties all PS4 or more is great.

#10 sonova

sonova

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 08:02 PM

Yeah its not 100%

Well, yeah, but with it only mitigating Crits, Howlrunner isn't as protected as it first seems.

Yeah its not 100%  but what do you really expect from a 1 point upgrade. It follows the same logic as determination. Most of the time it does nothing but when it does go off its amaze-balls. Also 12.5% per dice is still pretty decent.

Edited by sonova, 12 June 2014 - 08:02 PM.

#11 DraconPyrothayan

DraconPyrothayan

• Members
  • 3,138 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 08:23 PM

Yeah its not 100%

Yeah its not 100%  but what do you really expect from a 1 point upgrade. It follows the same logic as determination. Most of the time it does nothing but when it does go off its amaze-balls. Also 12.5% per dice is still pretty decent.

Remember: Crits are canceled last by Evade dice. You have a LOT of Evade Dice.
Even though Crits come up fairly rarely as part of the damage-pool, they make a substantially larger portion of the damage you should expect to take.

I used this combo as 1/2 of my 200 point fleet in Team Epic recently.
Even though my opponents didn't have any crit-specific upgrades, I still managed to use this 5 times before we killed their Transport.

One of them wound up shifting a Crit to a pilot who had already died to a Red Squadron. Simultaneous Fire rocks sometimes :)

#12 sonova

sonova

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 11:23 PM

Also ...

Having a ship live longer than it should WILL win you games. If your opponent has to burn 4 shots and 2+ actions to kill Howlrunner its a good trade for only 1 point. 

• DraconPyrothayan likes this

#13 Damoel

Damoel

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 11:30 PM

I'm hoping DTF gets some reprint treatment. I caved and bought a second Falcon, but I'll be darned if I buy 3-6. Well.... 4-6. Well.... (shuffles off, head hung in shame, muttering)

Fleet timez!

Anarchists: 6 A-Wing, 6 B-Wing, 2 Y-Wing, 6 X-Wing, 3 Z-95, 3 E-Wing, 2 HWK290, 2 YT-1300, 2 GR-75, 1 CR90

Good Guys: 6 TIE/LN, 1 TIE/AD, 3 TIE/D, 6 TIE/IN, 4 TIE/SA, 4 Phantom V38, 2 Lambda Shuttle, 2 Firespray-31

#14 Imagined Realms

Imagined Realms

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 11:45 PM

I'm hoping DTF gets some reprint treatment. I caved and bought a second Falcon, but I'll be darned if I buy 3-6. Well.... 4-6. Well.... (shuffles off, head hung in shame, muttering)

Lol I feel a little dirty just considering buying one.

#15 Damoel

Damoel

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 11:51 PM

Yeh, I try not to think of the dollar value of my collection much..... better for my heart. ;)

Fleet timez!

Anarchists: 6 A-Wing, 6 B-Wing, 2 Y-Wing, 6 X-Wing, 3 Z-95, 3 E-Wing, 2 HWK290, 2 YT-1300, 2 GR-75, 1 CR90

Good Guys: 6 TIE/LN, 1 TIE/AD, 3 TIE/D, 6 TIE/IN, 4 TIE/SA, 4 Phantom V38, 2 Lambda Shuttle, 2 Firespray-31

#16 Eruletho

Eruletho

• Members
  • 647 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 05:24 AM

I took 3 VI Blacks, Dark Curse, Backstabber, and a Stealthy, Determined Howlrunner to Imdar Alpha and swept the event, 3-0 (3-1 if you count the final new ships game, but I am not for the purposes of reporting on a PS6 swarm,) never in real danger of losing a game (Closest was 2 blacks and DC left against a full health Bounty Hunter.) I would say it is REALLY effective.

Edited by Eruletho, 13 June 2014 - 05:25 AM.

• voidstate likes this

#17 Blue Seven

Blue Seven

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 06:50 AM

I've been playing around with this for a while too. my current version is:

Howlie w/ stealth

Mauler

Dark curse w/ stealth

Stabber

Black w/ DTF

Academy

Could drop curse's SD to upgrade the AP to another DTF black, but I like having a blocker and a more annoying curse.

I had a lot of succes with the 2x PS6 blacks version, but I thought they weren't as useful as some other things you can do with the points used to raise them from APs.

I was thinking of playing this for a tourney soon but I think I'll be running scarlet cowgirl instead...

#18 DraconPyrothayan

DraconPyrothayan

• Members
  • 3,138 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 07:05 AM

3 YT fleets:

Triple BlockORS
Sextuple Tacticians

Triple Tacticians with Engine Upgrades

Han Two-ORS

#19 Cubanboy

Cubanboy

Pending Forum Submission

• Members
  • 1,125 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 07:09 AM

I have fun with this ps 6 madness

2x Royal Guards
2x black with vet inst
1x•Colonel Jendon

It does very well
I have ships,
Pew Pew Pew

#20 Engine25

Engine25

• Members
  • 1,512 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 08:42 AM

My typical Tournament List is all six named TIEs with a defensive Mod on Howlrunner, either Stealth Device or Hull Upgrade.  Still gives you a significant PS edge at minimum PS5, and many of the TIE Fighter pilots have quite useful abilities.

Just another stuck up, half-witted, scruffy-looking Nerf-Herder bidding you, Fly Casual.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS