SW Edge of the Empire: "Who are our Characters or Universe Scale of Power"

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 RogueCorona

RogueCorona

• Members
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 02:29 AM

Luke was a great pilot, an innocent naive farmboy attitude, but he also had the force and his father's lightsaber.  Was he the best pilot in the Rebellion? probably not, but he was good enough to lead Rogue Squadron.

That would be Wedge.

*sarcasum* Yea, Mr "Look at the size of that thing!", the guy who lost ONE of his FOUR engines during the battle of Yavin and had to bail on Luke.  Didn't even get a medal at the ceremony and a chance to freely closely look directly down at Liea's boobs

Put it this way at the Battle of Yavin Luke took a hit from TIE pilot Minon #3 and had to have Wedge bail him out. Wedge took a hit from Darth Vader, lost an engine, and only pulled out because Luke ordered him too do so. 

Now lets look at the Battle of Hoth Luke gets shot down before he can bring down a walker while Wedge brings down a walker and survives the battle with his speeder intact.

Though I think Lando could probably outfly Wedge the way e had the Falcon flying at Endor, The tunnel run especially.

• kaosoe likes this

#22 bull30548

bull30548

• Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 06:54 AM

I recommend in this case playing it dumb in regards to your question since it is a meta meta game question that has no bearing. While ur players may know the ot backwards and forwards and quote every line from the tcw cartoon, so what? The characters wouldn't know Luke Skywalker from Han Solo. They would know what they did but they wouldn't have all the details the players had of their story. So doing a comparison is not all that important at least on a point by point basis because ironically the ot crew isn't the standard to the rules if anything they will probably be the exception. Meaning that they would not use the same character generation format so it makes the comparison even more irrelevant. So I think the better question is what character or universe scale of power do your players want to be? Some people just like making their way in the universe and others want to make a name in it. Also define power? Jabba's wasn't a physical match for even threepio but his power was derived from the fear of the hutts in general. Mon Mothma or admiral Ackbar in a firefight I am not sure how well they would fair based only on OT. However, they had a lot of 'power' at their disposal.

SPACE GUINEA PIGS TO THE RESCUE!!!!!

#23 ZachAttack

ZachAttack

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 11:09 AM

I would actually look at skills for EotE as actually being out of 10 and not 5.

There are 10 progressive level combinations for Skill/Proficiency.

G

Y

YG

YY

YYG

YYY

YYYG

YYYY

YYYYG

YYYYY

PCs will all be somewhere in the bolded section to start off with for any of the major skills they're focusing on.

And that's just progressive skill. We also have the combinations where either skill or an attribute is high but the other one is not. So you might have a character with 4 green and only a single yellow.

So skill progression isn't exactly linear. You have to have both training and natural ability to reach the higher levels.

#24 bradknowles

bradknowles

• Members
  • 663 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 12:11 PM

I would actually look at skills for EotE as actually being out of 10 and not 5.

There are 10 progressive level combinations for Skill/Proficiency.

G

Y

YG

YY

YYG

YYY

YYYG

YYYY

YYYYG

YYYYY

You forgot 5Y1G and 5Y2G.  The base attributes themselves max out at six, and can be boosted to a total of 7 by cybernetics.

So skill progression isn't exactly linear. You have to have both training and natural ability to reach the higher levels.

Correct.  If your attribute is low, you can max out the skill at 5, and you'll never get better unless/until you use Dedication or Cybernetics to boost the attribute -- but you're better off saving the Cybernetics boost for last, once the attribute hits 6.

Edited by bradknowles, 14 June 2014 - 12:12 PM.

Unless stated otherwise, these are just my personal opinions about how I feel things should work.  Even if I quote chapter and verse of a particular rulebook, only the part that's quoted is likely to actually be official.  Each GM will have to decide for themselves what rules they will use and which ones they won't, and how they will interpret the rules they do use.  That is their right -- and their responsibility.

"A FFG Star Wars Index" by Aahzmandius_Karrde: <http://community.fan...ar-wars-index/> | Github project at <https://github.com/k...rde/ffg_swrpg/>

"Dice Probability Generator" by Litheon: http://community.fan...lity-generator/

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS