Photo

Battlefleet Xenos (AKA a book I would LOVE to see made)

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 TemplarofSteel

TemplarofSteel

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 03:32 PM

I think it's cool that there are rules available for playing Orks, Kroot, Dark Eldar (and probably normal Eldar with some tweaking), and now Tau. What I would actually like to see though is either a book that has a large collection of xenos ships and parts for them (both to provide xenotech to a normal ship and to construct my own enemy vessels for the group). The big reason is that I loved the stuff they had for the orks and would actually like to be able to build ships that can serve as good antagonist vessels AND not just be other imperium style ones. Yes, I can technically just use the stats and claim something different but when the different races have radically different tech and style it feels like they should be something more, not to mention that, again, I LOVED what the ork stuff had. Maybe I'm alone in this but figured I'd see

• WeedyGrot and Marwynn like this

#2 Magellan

Magellan

• Members
  • 520 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 03:51 PM

I dunno, I just make them myself. It'd be a waste of countless hours of work to switch to a completely different book. I've already ignored a number of sourcebooks with rules I needed back when we first started playing Rogue Trader, and I strongly suspect a lot of other people have done the same. It's five years since the system was released - who *hasn't* run into the need for colony rules or alien voidships by now?

I am the latest model of a Fabricator-General
My body isn't nearly as much animal as mineral
My learnedness is legend; my accomplishments historical
For hereteks and aliens my hatred's categorical

#3 Errant

Errant

• Members
  • 1,179 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 04:55 PM

Most of the time I just build Imperial vessels and handwave something to make them unique. Faster, stronger armour, weaponry that does weird ****, etc. I'd probably get some use out of a random xenogen ship generator, but a book of 'here are NPC ships that make the assumption that a Rogue Trader crew has a BS of 30 and a Tech-Use skill that can barely turn on a stove' means I have to re-write everything anyway, so it would basically just be a book of components.

#4 Lady Kataline Jianwei

Lady Kataline Jianwei

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 04:57 PM

I'd like to see more ship parts, but that's just because I really enjoy building ships.

• pearldrum1 likes this

"Defeat? Genocide? Why quibble with semantics?"

#5 Marwynn

Marwynn

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 05:37 PM

I think we agreed on this a while back; we all wouldn't mind a book with more xenos ships in it (in a book about lesser xenos empires).

I would love a true expansion to the Expanse. Give me odd xenos species with crazy ships, not Imperial equivalents.

The Gathering Strom  - A Chronicle of Intrigue, Space Battles, Planetary Invasions, and Dinner Parties

The Blessed Enterprise - Flagship of the Strom Dynasty / Reception Hall

Into the Strom - Venture into the secrets of the Strom Dynasty! 

#6 ak-73

ak-73

• Members
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 07:52 PM

http://40kroleplay.w...g-the-korvattra

My 40K Blog (essentially a Best Of FFG Forums):

http://www.40kroleplay.weebly.com

House Rules, Rule Clarifications, Game Aids, New Creatures, consolidated official Deathwatch Squad Mode rules, 40K Tabletop to 40K Roleplay comversions, etc.

#7 Adeptus-B

Adeptus-B

Part-Time Super Villian

• Members
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 08:15 PM

I would love a true expansion to the Expanse. Give me odd xenos species with crazy ships, not Imperial equivalents.

Amen! Let's stop acting like the species with armies in the tabletop game are the only aliens in the 40Kverse!

• pearldrum1 and Sebastian Traitor like this

#8 Magnus Grendel

Magnus Grendel

The Empire Needs You!

• Members
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 04:00 AM

I have to say, this is one of my favourite bits about Rogue Trader - I really, really like the Yu'Vath - yu-vath artefacts, point defence systems (the 'animate statues' spirit), the Void Wasp, the Whisperer capital ship, etc, etc.

#9 Sebastian Traitor

Sebastian Traitor

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 08:09 AM

Amen! Let's stop acting like the species with armies in the tabletop game are the only aliens in the 40Kverse!

I agree, I have always the impression the FFG is too close to the tabletop game and it's bad, because the game is no more the original Rogue Trader, which was more a rpg than a war-game.

#10 Adeptus-B

Adeptus-B

Part-Time Super Villian

• Members
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 01:29 PM

I have to say, this is one of my favourite bits about Rogue Trader - I really, really like the Yu'Vath - yu-vath artefacts, point defence systems (the 'animate statues' spirit), the Void Wasp, the Whisperer capital ship, etc, etc.

Yeah, the Yu'Vath, and the Rak'Gol, and the Stryxis- but that's it for 'official' new xenos in the Koronus Expanse. Since this area is outside the Imperium proper, it should be teeming with unique xenos. FFG really needs to expand on this area, especially since it is one of the few areas where they largely have 'free reign' and don't have to worry about GW vetoing them by saying "It conflicts with existing lore".

• Lightbringer, pearldrum1 and Sebastian Traitor like this

#11 Lady Kataline Jianwei

Lady Kataline Jianwei

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 02:42 PM

Yeah, the Yu'Vath, and the Rak'Gol, and the Stryxis- but that's it for 'official' new xenos in the Koronus Expanse. Since this area is outside the Imperium proper, it should be teeming with unique xenos. FFG really needs to expand on this area, especially since it is one of the few areas where they largely have 'free reign' and don't have to worry about GW vetoing them by saying "It conflicts with existing lore".

Okay I'm admittedly very new to 40k and GW and the lore etc. But it is my understanding that lore contradicts all the time as most lore is considered canon. Like Grey Knights slaughtering Sisters of Battle whole sale to use their blood as anti demon protection or Terminators doing back flips for lols.So GW vetoing something seems weird to me from what I've heard.

"Defeat? Genocide? Why quibble with semantics?"

#12 Adeptus-B

Adeptus-B

Part-Time Super Villian

• Members
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 10:51 AM

Okay I'm admittedly very new to 40k and GW and the lore etc. But it is my understanding that lore contradicts all the time as most lore is considered canon. Like Grey Knights slaughtering Sisters of Battle whole sale to use their blood as anti demon protection or Terminators doing back flips for lols.So GW vetoing something seems weird to me from what I've heard.

Yeah, GW takes great liberties with their own established lore (up to and including RetConing whole blocks of established history), but they don't allow licensees to do the same. Everything FFG produces for the WH40KRP line has to be submitted to GW for approval- and GW is much stricter about what gets approved with regard to established stuff like Space Marines and Eldar than they are for new, setting-specific stuff created by FFG specifically for WH40KRP, like the Slaught and Yu'Vath.

• pearldrum1 likes this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS