#1 Rakky Wistol

Rakky Wistol

The Grey

• Members
  • 2,877 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 03:21 PM

eta-2-darth-vader-2.jpg?w=497&h=322

I want this!!!

Shapeways has Eta-2's... who's got the skill and steady hands for this?

I bought one Eta-2 in the cheap plastic since they are oh so small... I'd gladly  get another in detail for this to sit on my table.

Edited by Rakky Wistol, 12 June 2014 - 03:37 PM.

#2 MacrossVF1

MacrossVF1

• Members
  • 471 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 03:30 PM

I'm a good painter but I wouldn't touch it even with a Death Star sized pole. Darth Vader was never 'little Anakin'! :)
  • stegocent, berusplants and Conandoodle like this

The Alternative Wargamer: http://alternativewa...er.blogspot.se/

Repaints and scratchbuilds: http://alternativewa...ar Wars: X-wing

#3 Conandoodle

Conandoodle

• Members
  • 249 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 04:10 PM

You could easily do it yourself.

Ship panels

1. Base coat (black or grey - I prefer grey)

2. Paint the panels the two shades of grey.
3. Apply black ink
4. Touch up panels with the original greys.

5. Add a little white/lighter shade of grey to the original greys and run your brush along the edges of the panels (highlighting). You can repeat this step as many times as you like. Once or twice is fine though.

For the Imperial symbols.

1. Grab some custom decal paper. I use Testors. Be sure to get the correct paper (laser or inkjet) to suit your printer.
2. Print design onto the paper.

3. Seal with a matte varnish (I use Testor's dullcote)

4. Paint the area of the model with gloss varnish to make a smooth surface.
5. (Optional) Micro set.
3. Apply decal.
4. (Optional) Apply and re-apply micro sol until happy. This softens the decal and lets it adhere/shape to the surface better.
5. Paint with gloss until you no longer see the decal seam.

Paint the whole model with matte varnish. Again, Testor's Dullcote is fantastic. 4-5 light coats is better than 1 heavy one. Paint the cockpit with the gloss varnish.

Super easy and you will get fantastic results. You really don't have to be a good painter to do this ship. 

• Segmentvs likes this

I'm a noob ..please be gentle.

#4 Rakky Wistol

Rakky Wistol

The Grey

• Members
  • 2,877 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 11:45 PM

I don't paint anymore. This thing is tiny is the concern. That and I don't have the supplies or anywhere within an hour that sells them. Haven't done decal work.

A 2/4/3/0 with an awing dial and a droid slot with Vader as pilot sounds fun. Definitely more fun than an advanced.

#5 TallTonyB

TallTonyB

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 12:00 AM

I thought you meant an advance with the wing junked up like some of the old toys had... gotta be a way to melt my mini that looks legit right? I guess that's one use for an advance....

Give a man fire he is warm for a day, set him on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

#6 Qapla187

Qapla187

• Members
  • 306 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 01:03 AM

I suppose I'd be willing to give it a spin. Although I don't have a printer and I'm doubtful I could dotage symbols that small. Any idea on the dimensions?
:>¡<: X-wing x6, Y-wing x3, TIE Fighter x6, TIE Advanced x3, A-wing x4, YT-1300 x2, TIE Interceptor x9,
Firespray-31 x3, B-wing x4, HWK-290 x2, TIE Bomber x6, Lambda Shuttle x2, E-wing x3, Z-95 x4, TIE Defender x3, TIE Phantom x2, GR-75 x2, CR-90 x1

Perish quickly you will, if without Push, an A-wing you fly.

#7 Icareane

Icareane

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 07:19 AM

@Rakky Wistol : could you please post a link to the shapeway model to see what we would be dealing with? I can't find it on the website.

My painting and gaming blog : http://www.rule37.net

#8 Rakky Wistol

Rakky Wistol

The Grey

• Members
  • 2,877 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 08:08 AM

http://www.shapeways...98&materialId=6

I'll post pics next to other fighters later if I get a chance.

I'd totally ship one to someone to get it painted.

#9 Conandoodle

Conandoodle

• Members
  • 249 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 08:49 AM

That and I don't have the supplies or anywhere within an hour that sells them. 

An hour .. whoa .. it would be horrible to have to travel for an hour. I can name a hobbit who is despising you this very second.

• stegocent likes this

I'm a noob ..please be gentle.

#10 Rakky Wistol

Rakky Wistol

The Grey

• Members
  • 2,877 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 12:22 PM

That and I don't have the supplies or anywhere within an hour that sells them. 

An hour .. whoa .. it would be horrible to have to travel for an hour. I can name a hobbit who is despising you this very second.

Well it's an hour to a hobby shop with ok materials.  It's really 2 and a quarter to the closest reputable gaming store that will have the materials I actually want.  That and the start up cost to just buy the basics is why I'd pay someone else to do this one.

#11 Rakky Wistol

Rakky Wistol

The Grey

• Members
  • 2,877 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 06:44 PM

@Rakky Wistol : could you please post a link to the shapeway model to see what we would be dealing with? I can't find it on the website.

Linked above. It's damn small. Not even sure if the decal idea would work

#12 apegod

apegod

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 08:26 PM

Consider just mounting a WOTC Painted Jedi Intercepter on a FFG style base...easy.

#13 Rakky Wistol

Rakky Wistol

The Grey

• Members
  • 2,877 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 10:31 PM

Not nearly as stylish.
Any other takers?

#14 Qapla187

Qapla187

• Members
  • 306 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 12:59 PM

Here's some pics as requested with an A-wing which is the ship closest in size.  The WotC one is roughly 1 cm too long, but as tiny as the ship really is it doesn't look too bad in comparison.

MtdNl8H.jpg

UJnPlVu.jpg

cEDuGZb.jpg

And a few shots of my previous work.

uUw2N4f.jpg

46zeF0z.jpg

XPVIkij.jpg

:>¡<: X-wing x6, Y-wing x3, TIE Fighter x6, TIE Advanced x3, A-wing x4, YT-1300 x2, TIE Interceptor x9,
Firespray-31 x3, B-wing x4, HWK-290 x2, TIE Bomber x6, Lambda Shuttle x2, E-wing x3, Z-95 x4, TIE Defender x3, TIE Phantom x2, GR-75 x2, CR-90 x1

Perish quickly you will, if without Push, an A-wing you fly.

#15 Lagomorphia

Lagomorphia

• Validating
  • 1,557 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 01:18 PM

I'd definitely take the WotCs one over the Shapeways one. The Shapeways one looks so rough it would be a nightmare to paint, and despite according to comments being too big it still looks tiny compared to the A-wing. Whereas paintstripping a WotC Eta-2 sculpt and getting that painted would result in a very nice ship indeed.

Edited by Lagomorphia, 15 June 2014 - 01:25 PM.

#16 Lord Ashram

Lord Ashram

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 01:21 PM

The surface of the shape ways one, at least in that style, is impossible to paint.

#17 Rakky Wistol

Rakky Wistol

The Grey

• Members
  • 2,877 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 11:01 PM

So the WOTCs it is...maybe...

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS