• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Darramouss

Darramouss

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 12:40 PM

Hello people.

I've come across a situation where a ship is attacking a huge ship that I need help with.  I have a small ship attacking a huge ship.  The small ship is closer to the fore section of the huge ship but is wanting to attack the aft section.

The direct line from the centre of the small ship's base to the centre of the aft section's base does NOT cross the blue line, so in that respect it's a legal attack.  The issue is with the range.  The distance from the small ship's base to the huge ship's aft plastic base is greater than the allowed range but the distance from the small ship's base to the rear portion of the huge ship's cardboard template is within the allowed range.

I know that distance is measured from the plastic base to plastic base BUT the rules for huge ships state that distance is measured from the huge ship's SECTION.  What is a section?  Is it the base or the cardboard template?

Here is an excerpt from the Huge Ship Rules.

The range of the attack is determined by the line measured from the closest 
point of the attacking ship to the closest point of the chosen huge ship’s 
section that is inside the attacking ship’s firing arc. If using an 
attack that ignores firing arcs, measure this line without regard to firing arc.

Any help would be appreciated!!!

#2 VanorDM

VanorDM

Rules Ninja

• Members
  • 4,113 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 12:55 PM

What is a section?  Is it the base or the cardboard template?

It should be the plastic base, in X-Wing everything is based on the plastic base.

Edit: Not sure the above is correct.

I was wondering about this a bit so I decided to check the rules a bit more closely. I found this, which seems to throw doubt on my above statement.

Huge ships count as a single ship consisting of two bases, one ship token, and one or two Ship cards. The ship token is divided into two halves by the blue center line. The front base and the front half of the ship token comprise the fore section. The rear base and the rear half of the ship token comprise the aft section.

When FFG puts a phrase on bold, they normally mean that to be considered a game term, and not just a description. So based on that, I'm thinking perhaps a section does include the cardboard on either side of the blue line.

You've accounted for the arc by measuring from the center of the attacker to the center of the section of the Huge ship. So at that point, I do think that you'd measure range based on the section and not just the plastic base.

Edit2: Managed to post and edit with a lot more text, without being  :ph34r: 'ed...

Edited by VanorDM, 12 June 2014 - 01:08 PM.

#3 Darramouss

Darramouss

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 01:00 PM

What is a section?  Is it the base or the cardboard template?

It should be the plastic base, in X-Wing everything is based on the plastic base.

That's what I thought.  It makes sense to have everything treated in a uniform manner.  The word 'section' threw me, though.

#4 Buhallin

Buhallin

• Members
  • 2,865 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 01:06 PM

Sections are defined on the first page of the huge ship rules.

Although interestingly, I think "section" comprises the entire back half of the template, not just the plastic base portion.  Not sure if I was the only one who misread this, but a section is explicitly the full half of the base, not just the plastic, and you target to the nearest part of the section.

#5 VanorDM

VanorDM

Rules Ninja

• Members
  • 4,113 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 01:11 PM

Not sure if I was the only one who misread this...

My first thought was plastic because that's what everything else is based on. But having read it again, because something made me think I was wrong... And I think it has to be read as it being the whole of the plastic base and the cardboard upto the blue line.

#6 ziggy2000

ziggy2000

• Members
  • 741 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 03:24 PM

I'm going to chime in and add my support for a ship section being comprised of the cardboard token as well as the plastic base. If you think about it, there are implications beyond range measurement, such as overlapping. There could be a situation where a small/large ship could end up between the two plastic bases of a huge ship. If we only consider the plastic bases for the purpose of overlap, then the smaller ship could actually be underneath the huge ship's token without touching either base. I don't think anyone would argue that we ignore the ship token in this case, would they? So, if we agree that we must count the token as well as the bases for the purposes of overlap, then it would be logical to extend that to range measurement as well.

#7 SpaceagentSpiff

SpaceagentSpiff

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 03:50 PM

It seems most logical to regard the centre token as the ship, and measure range to the token.
I have a slightly similar question though, just from the perspective of the CR90 - when measuring range for the side-facing secondary weapons, is it then from the nearest point of the plastic base, or the nearest point of the printed firing-arc?

#8 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,388 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 03:59 PM

It seems most logical to regard the centre token as the ship, and measure range to the token.
I have a slightly similar question though, just from the perspective of the CR90 - when measuring range for the side-facing secondary weapons, is it then from the nearest point of the plastic base, or the nearest point of the printed firing-arc?

I'd use the plastic base, which is roughly in line with the width of the cardboard token in the middle section where there isn't a base.  Basically making the ship the same width all the way along the length.

#9 Buhallin

Buhallin

• Members
  • 2,865 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 07:39 PM

It says the section is both the card and plastic base. So is include both for range measurements regardless of who's attacking our defending.

#10 Slugrage

Slugrage

• Members
  • 776 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 10:45 PM

VanorDM had the right of it.

To check if a SECTION can be targeted, measure from exact center base of attacking ship to exact center base of the chosen section being targeted on the huge ship. If the measure does not cross the blue line, you can target the section. (Transport Rules Page 4)

Actual range is from closest point on the attacking ship to the closest point of the section. (Transport Rules Page 4 - Targeting the GR-75)

A section is defined as "The ship token is divided into two halves by the blue CENTER LINE. The front base the front half of the ship token comprise the FORE SECTION. The rear base and the rear half of the ship token comprise the REAR SECTION. (Transport Rules Page 2)

Core: 3 sets

Rebel: 1 X, 3 Y, 3 A, 2 B, 2 H, 2 YT-1300, 2 E, 4 Z, 1 CR-90, 1 GR-75, 2 Reb Aces

Imperial: 2 T, 3 T/Ad, 4 T/Int, 2 T/Bmb, 2 T/Df, 2T/Ph, 2 Shuttle, 2 Firespray, 2 Imp Aces

Order: 1 YT-2400, 1 VT-49

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS