Grey knight shunt packs

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 Calgor Grim

Calgor Grim

• Members
  • 461 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 06:08 AM

I don't even think giving them an Eldar Warp Spider pack would be any better venkelos. Eldar tech IIRC tends to be psychoreactive and requires their psychic abilities to even work. Without that they tend to be inert and just a dead weight. Even picking one up and trying to use it they would need silly levels of training and theres no guarantee of it working. It's like trying to use Project Indigo and there's no safeguards in place of it getting you in the right place or even able to rematerialise yourself at the other end and most certainly the mechanicus/inquisition would want that pack if they found out about it.

There are however other things you might want to think of. There is something in BC which might interest called a Displacement Field (I think, name is patchy not got the book). Basically it works as a forcefield and when shot at can move the player 3D10 in a random direction, trying to displace them out of the way of the shot however if there are any trebles then they suffer consequences. What about that as a compromise?

Loyal Missionary Father Grim of the Kingston 293rd Storm Troopers

#22 venkelos

venkelos

• Members
  • 1,194 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 08:29 AM

Sry, I more meant from the mechanics POV, since not every Eldar counts as a Psyker. The mechanical rules for a WJG don't call for a psychic-themed test, so having something LOOK like a GK pack, and use the rules for the Aspect Warrior's device would be mechanically sound. Using an ACTUAL Warp Spider pack? Nononononono! Between killing yourself (even a number of Warp Spiders can't use it, and they are made for those individuals) and the AdMech+Inq collective "WHAT?!?!?", no, not that.

BC's Displacement Field seems rather similar, though Corruption seems a better end than poof, gone in a flash. Might be a good option, if a case for one NOT made and used by Chaos can be put forth.

Edited by venkelos, 03 July 2014 - 08:34 AM.

#23 Annaamarth

Annaamarth

• Members
  • 412 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 11:12 AM

Fluffly speaking, there is no small-scale, controllable, purely technological teleportation solution.  Warp Spiders and GK (and Warp Talons, for that matter) both use their psychic potential to protect them from the warp as the go popping about.  To my knowledge, there never was a small-scale, controllable, purely technological teleportation solution.

Having said that, I would absolutely permit this.  In addition to whatever rolls to make the teleportation happen, every time he uses it he rolls for psychic phenomena.  Any time he rolls a Perils of the Warp, he gains 1d5 Corruption in addition to whatever else happens.  He would, as had been previously mentioned, required to take Signature Wargear for it, as well as the Enemy (AdMech) talent.  Also, portions of the DW would want him to turn the relic over to the DW Librarium.

RIP AND TEAR THROUGH THE TIDE OF BLOOD WITH BATTLESUIT PILOT. SUPLEX HIVE TYRANTS. DO WHATEVER, YOU'RE PILOTING A HUGE-ASS MECHA.

-Errant, on how Rogue Trader ought to be played

#24 bogi_khaosa

bogi_khaosa

• Members
  • 2,153 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 07:55 PM

This isn't DnD. The Deathwatch are Space Nazis. Xenos are Space Jews.

This is not a happy-happy universe.

#25 Calgor Grim

Calgor Grim

• Members
  • 461 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 01:58 AM

Fluffly speaking, there is no small-scale, controllable, purely technological teleportation solution.  Warp Spiders and GK (and Warp Talons, for that matter) both use their psychic potential to protect them from the warp as the go popping about.  To my knowledge, there never was a small-scale, controllable, purely technological teleportation solution.

Don't Necron essentially teleport and they never usually have any risks plus aren't psychic in any way, shape or form such as the fluff which used to say damaged crons teleported back to the tombs? The Necron Deathmark is also claimed to occupy a pocket dimension and simply phase in/out when they need to. I'd say it counts as technological and small scale but its not going to be one available to the DW.

Loyal Missionary Father Grim of the Kingston 293rd Storm Troopers

#26 venkelos

venkelos

• Members
  • 1,194 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 05:26 AM

Well, most things Necron only work for/with them; their devices draw power from their bodies, and are mostly useless if separated, and should disappear with the Necron, should it be recalled, I would think. This makes using Necron bits tricky, and so not much of a solution. Even if, then the Nightmare Science Necrons use, since they can't use the warp, would probably be so arcane and complex, a player wouldn't be able to make use of the device.

While I won't throw impossible around, because nothing truly is, I guess, your odds with the Knight or Spider packs are better, even if you don't have Psy Rating. Worst option, the Necron apparatus "recalls" when you try to use it, and you get pulled back to the Monolith with the Necron. Bye-bye, then. Also, Necrons don't have flesh, so anything they might get exposed to in the elsewhere medium they might move through could trash your ride (read: body) up. Nightmare Science!!!

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS