Photo

Marvel taking over the Star Wars comics.

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 artteach

artteach

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 04:12 PM

I read that Dark Horse is winding down their Star Wars comics line and Marvel will taking back Star Wars in 2015.  I'm not sure I'm real happy about this.  Dark Horse has produced some of the best "legends" of the Star Wars universe ever. Dark Horse gave us Quinlin Voss and Marvel gave us Jax the space bunny.

Anyone excited about this?

Also what is the biggest inspiration for a story you have brought to the gaming table from a comic?

• Inquisitor Tremayne likes this

GM of the PbP DarkStryder Campaign at www.dailydoserpg.com

#2 swiftdraw

swiftdraw

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 04:39 PM

To be fair, most comics were like that in the '70's and 80's. I don't blame Marvel too much for trying to run with what was perceived as popular at the time. That being said, I'd rather Dark Horse kept the comic license, though it was a forgone conclusion Marvel was getting it back after their parent company, Disney, bought the rights. This was really depressing to me since it shortened the Legacy II series and I really wish they could've kept it going.

Marvel has some good writers and artist, but they haven't done anything that has interested me since Planet Hulk and the early part of the Incredible Hercules post-Civil War. I haven't followed them in years since superhero comics don't really interest me anymore, and that’s all they do now, so I can't say who would be a good fit (imo) for doing a Star Wars series. I can only hope Marvel they can find someone who does something more than movie spin offs and Jedi/Sith comics well. That and, for the love of the Gods, no Avengers/Star Wars crossovers, please! <_<

• Lynata and kaosoe like this

#3 Desslok

Desslok

• Members
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 04:48 PM

Me? I'm goddamned thrilled. Some of the best Star Wars stories I've read came from Marvel. It got me through the ridiculously long 3 year wait between each movie when I was growing up. Don't get me wrong, Dark Horse had some good stuff too - but pound for pound, Marvel wins in my book.

#4 2P51

2P51

• Members
  • 3,551 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 04:51 PM

I would imagine with the new movies the comic status will rise.  Good way for Disney/Marvel to vette characters and story ideas as well for what might be well received in future movies and TV.

Edited by 2P51, 11 June 2014 - 04:51 PM.

My group's Obsidian Portal campaign site: It's All in the Trigger Squeeze

#5 Inquisitor Tremayne

Inquisitor Tremayne

• Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 05:32 PM

The Dark Times from Dark Horse influences every Star Wars game I run.  Some of the best Star Wars stories and art ever.

• kaosoe likes this

#6 MrDodger

MrDodger

• Members
  • 176 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 05:51 PM

Marvel also gave us Valance, Lumiya and Tagge. People get too caught up on the Jaxxon thing, it's like the "fart app" of the Marvel run. Dark Horse, whilst overall excellent, has had it's misses as well.

• Desslok likes this

#7 Grimmshade

Grimmshade

• Members
  • 430 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 06:02 PM

I love the old Marvel Comics! The post-RotJ stuff sucked, but besides that they gave us some of the very best EU we have to this day imo.

I haven't really read a Dark Horse Star Wars comic that I liked. I especially hate Dark Empire, and I just finished the super-crap by Brian Wood and really wish I could have that wasted time of my life back. Best thing Dark Horse ever did for Star Wars was reprint the original Marvel stuff.

It's not like Jaxxon was even in it that much, and he still felt like he fit the universe WAY more than Jar Jar Stinks ever did. He didn't spend his time stepping in poop and falling down.

I can't wait to see what Marvel does with it.

Edited by Grimmshade, 11 June 2014 - 06:05 PM.

• Desslok likes this

#8 mouthymerc

mouthymerc

Not the member you are looking for!

• Members
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 06:06 PM

Marvel had little information other than the original movies to draw inspiration from. There was no EU or RPG. The gritty age of comics hadn't happened yet. They wrote comics that were popular at the time. I'll be interested to see what they can do with the brand now.

• Desslok likes this

People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

#9 FootNote

FootNote

• Members
  • 257 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 07:35 PM

While I only started reading comics in the last year or so, my biggest gripe is the short ending to Legacy vol 2. Other than that... It will be interesting to see what new story lines they come up with.
  • Lynata and kaosoe like this

"Everything Flows down leash...." -Anonymous 

FootNote's Custom Droids

#10 glewis2317

glewis2317

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 09:40 PM

I love comics. I work part time in a comic shop in Austin. I've read a lot of darkhorse Star Wars comics and I have to be honest, I've never been blown away. Very few actually feel like Star Wars to me. I've only read a few issues of Marvel's Star Wars. I didn't like them enough to keep buying them.

Here's the thing though, Marvel will have an inside track as to what's happening with the movies. They also have a stable of talent that I would LOVE to see write and draw Star Wars. I think the over all quality of Star Wars comics is going to be raised quite a bit. I also see a day where Marvel will be publishing an entire line of SW comics that could be as large as the X-Men line.

Between The Muppets, Marvel and Star Wars, Disney owns the rights to my childhood memories. I know it's supposed to suck, but so far everything's worked out pretty well. I'm looking forward to a new era of SW comics.

#11 glewis2317

glewis2317

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 09:44 PM

and, for the love of the Gods, no Avengers/Star Wars crossovers, please! <_<

You know they're going to do it and it's going to be freaking great! Not great in the typical sense of the word, but you know... great.

#12 mouthymerc

mouthymerc

• Members
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 03:50 AM

That and, for the love of the Gods, no Avengers/Star Wars crossovers, please! <_<

Why not? Didn't like the X-men/Star Trek crossover?

People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

#13 That Blasted Samophlange

That Blasted Samophlange

• Members
  • 1,221 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 04:17 AM

While I lament the loss to Dark Horse, as Legacy I & II are great (baring some ship designs - fighters), I'm eager to see something new and decidedly canonized.
  • I. J. Thompson, kaosoe and Grimmshade like this
You're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point if EU.

#14 FootNote

FootNote

• Members
  • 257 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 08:53 AM

That and, for the love of the Gods, no Avengers/Star Wars crossovers, please! <_<

*cringe* Please tell me your joking. If your not, lets start a petition right now to make sure it does not happen in star wars. Ever.

"Everything Flows down leash...." -Anonymous 

FootNote's Custom Droids

#15 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 5,977 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 09:15 AM

Can't see a point in Cyclops when Kirk has a phaser.

Edited by HappyDaze, 12 June 2014 - 09:16 AM.

Ignore, Ignore, you must learn Ignore!

Now Ignoring: Nobody.

#16 mouthymerc

mouthymerc

• Members
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 10:02 AM

*cringe* Please tell me your joking. If your not, lets start a petition right now to make sure it does not happen in star wars. Ever.

Heh heh. I put it right up there with the Archie/Punisher crossover.

George Orwell

#17 Desslok

Desslok

• Members
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 10:13 AM

Yes, we need to block any Star Wars / Avengers crossover! We need THIS instead

1132684765329.jpg.

The judges would have also accepted this as an answer:1e5a6152d0717212ed92cdeaf254131c.jpg

Edited by Desslok, 12 June 2014 - 10:14 AM.

• kaosoe and 2P51 like this

#18 mouthymerc

mouthymerc

• Members
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 10:20 AM

darth-vader-vs-captain-america-by-dave-d

• Desslok and Deve Sunstriker like this

George Orwell

#19 Inquisitor Tremayne

Inquisitor Tremayne

• Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 10:46 AM

Ugh! Make it stop!!!

#20 mouthymerc

mouthymerc

• Members
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 10:57 AM

Or my favorite.

wizard102.jpg

• Desslok likes this

George Orwell

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS