Dunland Trap Spoiler

• Please log in to reply
130 replies to this topic

#1 Raven1015

Raven1015

• Members
  • 383 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 09:37 AM

Couple vs. Cardboard has put up an exclusive spoiler they received of one card from the Dunland Trap AP. It's awesome!

http://wp.me/p3NWWJ-oi

Edited by Raven1015, 11 June 2014 - 09:37 AM.

• Avalanche, Catastrophic09, Jban and 2 others like this

Check out my LOTR LCG blog: talesfromthecards.wordpress.com

Listen to The Grey Company podcast: greycompanypodcast.wordpress.com

#2 Gizlivadi

Gizlivadi

• Members
  • 638 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 10:14 AM

This is a pretty good card, amazing for when you have a 7+ strength Eomer attacking a little enemy... My only complaint would be the art sadly, while the technique is good and overall it's a good piece, it seems the artists have once again looked into the movies for reference. Firefoot is exactly the same color and even has the same kind of spots in his fur as does the movie version: 

cards:lotr04274.jpg firefoot.png

Sorry for this little rant, but it's a major pet peeve of mine when the art looks so similar to the movies... designers should do something about that.

• OnkelZorni, richsabre and JsBingley like this

"A straight road lay westward, now it is bent."

#3 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,775 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 10:21 AM

wow, great card... love it! :D

+1 on Gizlivadi's point :P though i gotta love the background scenery

My Deviantart profile. Infrared Art http://richsabre.deviantart.com/

My Portfolio http://richardbyers.portfoliobox.me/

#4 Pharmboys2013

Pharmboys2013

• Members
  • 731 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 10:35 AM

Wow that's a really fantastic card, absolutely love it. Between this and Rohan warhorse I feel like Eomer probably surpasses Legolas as the premier attacking tactics character. I mean I don't think it's hard to imagine Eomer taking out 3 enemies in a single turn with this. He attacks the first enemy, kills it with his 7 atk, a few points go on enemy 2, he uses warhorse to attack enemy 2, crushes it since it's softened up from firefoot, then all the excess damage kills enemy number 3 outright from firefoot again. Granted enemies with high defense can prevent this but still, he's as potent a killing machine as they come
  • Catastrophic09 likes this

"His life is charmed, or fate spares him for some other end."

#5 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

• Members
  • 1,513 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 10:45 AM

Oh great, another name-specific card...

#6 joezim007

joezim007

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 11:06 AM

I think the art is amazing and even if the coloration of the horse is quite similar, who cares? The horse's armaments are quite different, and I think that matters a lot more. Is there any description of what Firefoot looks like in the book?

In any case, I'm getting more and more excited to try Eomer. It's taking me a while to loosen my grip on Legolas.

This card can be pretty interesting because you can use him to attack a weak enemy to lead to a lot of excess damage, which is then applied to the second enemy as direct damage, so we can skirt around the high defense of some enemies this way. Granted, I have no idea what kinda chances there are to set up this kind of combo.

As for being name-specific, I agree that it's sad that it is so focused on Eomer, but there are plenty of ways to grant a lot of attack damage to other characters, so the fact that the additional attack damage is the only thing that specifically applies to Eomer is a good thing.

In my mind mounts shouldn't count as restricted attachments. I tend to remove any "restricted" from all mounts and add "A character may only have one mount attachment" because that's honestly more representative of the truth. A character should be able to have armor, a weapon, and a horse, but not be able to have 2 horses. Sadly this means I can't be awesome and have Rohan Warhorse and Firefoot on the same character, but I'll deal with it. This is probably the one house rule that I feel should be an official rule.

With that rule, that means I could load up a Dunhere with 2 Spears of the Mark and Firefoot to destroy enemies in the staging area and apply the excess to someone I'm engaged with. Sadly, Firefoot's excess damage effect will only target enemies I'm engaged with, but if I can keep him in a low-threat deck and optionally engage one of the characters, it shouldn't be too difficult.

• OnkelZorni, Narsil0420, Avalanche and 1 other like this

I once shot an arrow through the pupil of a pig's eye from 300 yards away! Sadly, I was aiming for a different pig.

#7 -nebur-

-nebur-

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 11:07 AM

Cool...although Eomer is the best Hero to attach this, it can also be good on other heroes (Gimli, Bard).

Better thought-out than Asfaloth.

#8 Nickpes

Nickpes

• Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 11:14 AM

Great card, and ok, it is fantastic with Eomer, but other tactics hero would benefit too

Lord of all Noldor

A star in the night And a bearer of hope

He rides into his glorious battle alone Farewell to the valliant warlord

#9 Raven1015

Raven1015

• Members
  • 383 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 11:22 AM

I love name-specific cards. It's a way to add further power and flavor to existing heroes, and it's not like other heroes can't get a benefit out of it. 

• OnkelZorni, Chris51261, danpoage and 2 others like this

Check out my LOTR LCG blog: talesfromthecards.wordpress.com

Listen to The Grey Company podcast: greycompanypodcast.wordpress.com

#10 Pharmboys2013

Pharmboys2013

• Members
  • 731 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 11:23 AM

I don't mind the named cards, I understand the possible frustration in their linear function but I like the fact that it creates more unique decks that are tied to the heroes used rather than using the same great cards for each sphere regardless of who you're using.
  • OnkelZorni and danpoage like this

#11 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

• Members
  • 1,513 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 11:42 AM

Yeah. A card that will always be seen with a given specific hero and will almost never be seen anywhere else... how good for game's health and versatility of player choice.

#12 Pharmboys2013

Pharmboys2013

• Members
  • 731 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 11:49 AM

Yeah. A card that will always be seen with a given specific hero and will almost never be seen anywhere else... how good for game's health and versatility of player choice.

Well the opposite especially with strong cards such as these it that it's in every single deck because which isn't necessarily ideal either. I'd have to imagine you have to pick your battles when designing such cards and especially when ur creating someonething that is thematically tied to a specific character. There's definetly two sides two it but I agree with the designers in this circumstance

#13 joezim007

joezim007

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 12:14 PM

Light of Valinor isn't even name-specific and it's always seen with Glorfindel. I think Firefoot is good enough to be used by plenty of other heroes and I think it can be used as a challenge to NOT use this card with Eomer.

I once shot an arrow through the pupil of a pig's eye from 300 yards away! Sadly, I was aiming for a different pig.

#14 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

• Members
  • 1,513 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 01:14 PM

Why you're referring to two edge scenarios? There is choices outside of it.

Light of Valinor is always seen with Glor because he is the only spirit noldor/silvan hero game can offer. Light of Valinor can be used with great success on other elf heroes outside of spirit sphere and won't be hindered.

#15 Bullroarer Took

Bullroarer Took

• Members
  • 726 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 02:18 PM

Wow that's a really fantastic card, absolutely love it. Between this and Rohan warhorse I feel like Eomer probably surpasses Legolas as the premier attacking tactics character. I mean I don't think it's hard to imagine Eomer taking out 3 enemies in a single turn with this. He attacks the first enemy, kills it with his 7 atk, a few points go on enemy 2, he uses warhorse to attack enemy 2, crushes it since it's softened up from firefoot, then all the excess damage kills enemy number 3 outright from firefoot again. Granted enemies with high defense can prevent this but still, he's as potent a killing machine as they come

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but Firefoot must be exhausted for his damage transfer ability to work so you can't do it twice in a turn.
  • ZanzibarLand likes this
"I will not be released in the second quarter!" - Nalir the Dwarf

#16 Ana

Ana

• Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 02:18 PM

You just need somebody to block the enemies with. Chumps do work well with Éomer, though. What seems to be a great card for Éomer and Firefoot is Quick Strike. You can kill two enemies without them having a chance to strike first. Or Forth Éorlingas will let you kill one in the staging and the other engaged (but only after it had attacked).

No, really, the Quick Strike Firefoot combo is nice.

Edited by Ana, 11 June 2014 - 02:19 PM.

• joezim007 likes this

#17 ossderossmane

ossderossmane

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 02:20 PM

The effect with the "right" hero is much less pronounced than with Asfaloth. The key point of the attachment is the carry-over potential for damage. Dunhere comes to mind, since the initial attack doesn't have to be against an enemy engaged with you. Spear of the Mark + Unseen Strike for a staging area attack of 9, dealing 3-5 direct damage to an engaged enemy.

• ZanzibarLand likes this

#18 Pharmboys2013

Pharmboys2013

• Members
  • 731 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 03:30 PM

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but Firefoot must be exhausted for his damage transfer ability to work so you can't do it twice in a turn.

You're right, rushing my posts since I'm at work. Thanks

#19 Dain Ironfoot

Dain Ironfoot

• Members
  • 625 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 04:04 PM

the +1 additional attack for Éomer here doesn't make this card much less effective on any other hero. In the grand scheme of things, this card (unlike Asfaoloth, I think) can work well on anyone; Dunhere being a prime choice, as well, since he will often attack alone.

It's much more versatile than say, Vilya.

Firefoot is definitely a card I'd consider placing on other heroes - where I wouldn't with Asfaloth, and obviously Vilya.

• OnkelZorni likes this

#20 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

• Members
  • 1,513 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 04:28 PM

the +1 additional attack for Éomer here doesn't make this card much less effective on any other hero. In the grand scheme of things, this card (unlike Asfaoloth, I think) can work well on anyone; Dunhere being a prime choice, as well, since he will often attack alone.

It's much more versatile than say, Vilya.

Firefoot is definitely a card I'd consider placing on other heroes - where I wouldn't with Asfaloth, and obviously Vilya.

It's not just about +1 lil bonus. It's clearly designed for a hard-hitting melee stand alone hero, where few hero aside from Eomer shine. And being stripped of one restricted slot, even less likely to shine.

• Catastrophic09 and PsychoRocka like this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS