Need new dice, options?

• Please log in to reply
131 replies to this topic

#1 tintip

tintip

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 07:44 PM

So the dice that come with this game are absolutely terrible, they are weighted poorly and buying enough sets you can find a group that will almost always net you hits or evades on every roll. I've been looking for a company that makes precision dice, in the vein of game science but with no luck. I'm curious if anyone else has found good alternatives?

I also refuse to use the dice app as I'm here to roll dice not press a button so please don't suggest that.

#2 UnfairBanana

UnfairBanana

• Members
  • 1,279 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 07:46 PM

I've not had a problem with dice that are consistant. Maybe you just have a wonky set

Edited by UnfairBanana, 10 June 2014 - 07:47 PM.

Rebels: 3 A-wings, 3 B-wings, 2 E-wing, 4 X-Wings, 2 Y- Wings, 2 Z-95s, 1 HWK-290, 1 YT-1300, 1 YT-2400, 1 GR-75 Space whale, 1 CR-90 Corvette

Empire: 6 TIE/LN, 4 TIE Interceptors, 2 TIE Bombers, 1 TIE Advanced, 2 TIE Defender, 2 TIE Phantom, 2 Firesprays, 1 Lambda, 1 VT-49

#3 DoubleNot7

DoubleNot7

• Members
  • 1,437 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 07:48 PM

I downloaded the dice app just to check it out. It is actually a nicely done app.
  • oneway, Swedge, quasistellar and 2 others like this

Enimo Et Fide

#4 Trajan1

Trajan1

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 07:50 PM

My dice are only wonky in my own hand. Everyone else that uses them does fine with them.
  • Eruletho, LoTech, Jolleyone and 15 others like this

#5 Aminar

Aminar

• Members
  • 3,110 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 08:06 PM

So the dice that come with this game are absolutely terrible, they are weighted poorly and buying enough sets you can find a group that will almost always net you hits or evades on every roll. I've been looking for a company that makes precision dice, in the vein of game science but with no luck. I'm curious if anyone else has found good alternatives?
I also refuse to use the dice app as I'm here to roll dice not press a button so please don't suggest that.

Somehow I don't believe you've bought enough core sets to have accuratley tested this. I have never seen a set of core set dice that perform anything other then as randomly as dice can do.
  • DagobahDave, Hygric, progressions and 3 others like this

#6 Baphomet69

Baphomet69

• Members
  • 429 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 08:06 PM

My dice run in streaks, but their the same dice I always use, so I can't claim they're weighted one way or the other.

I would like translucent dice just for aesthetics, but I'm not about to pay $100-$150 for a couple tourney-prize dice...
  • EvilEd209 likes this

#7 Skargoth

Skargoth

• Members
  • 716 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 08:08 PM

My dice are only wonky in my own hand. Everyone else that uses them does fine with them.

You don't need to strip your miniatures, painting over is fine. No, there should not be a fourth faction, three is the magic number for countering flavor lists and to break up faction distribution. Someone else has likely thought up and posted your amazing new build, so you don't need to stroke your ego when reposting it. The prequels sucked and so would a game based on it. YES, there should be a Custom Forum for terrain and repaints! Moving on...

#8 Damoel

Damoel

• Members
  • 548 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 08:12 PM

Yeh, for every game that's hot like Tatooine, I end up being frozen out in another like its Hoth. I am debating switching to the app, just to remove the blame for the bad ones from myself. :P

Fleet timez!

Anarchists: 6 A-Wing, 6 B-Wing, 2 Y-Wing, 6 X-Wing, 3 Z-95, 3 E-Wing, 2 HWK290, 2 YT-1300, 2 GR-75, 1 CR90

Good Guys: 6 TIE/LN, 1 TIE/AD, 3 TIE/D, 6 TIE/IN, 4 TIE/SA, 4 Phantom V38, 2 Lambda Shuttle, 2 Firespray-31

#9 Bjorn Rockfist

Bjorn Rockfist

• Members
  • 621 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 08:16 PM

I can see it now....the hours of test rolling....floating them to see which have hits on top....putting the bad dice in time out.

Edited by Bjorn Rockfist, 10 June 2014 - 08:49 PM.

• CTALS4 likes this

Rebel - (4)X-Wing (5)Y (5)A (4)B (3)E (6)HWK-290 (8)Z-95 (3)YT-1300 (3) 2400 (2)GR-75 (1)CR-90 (6)Rebel Aces

Empire - (8)TIE Fighter (4)Advanced (5)Interceptor (6)Bomber (3)Defender (4)Phantom (3)Firespray-31

(4)Lambda-class Shuttle (4)Imperial Aces (2)VT-49 Decimator

SOONtir - (6)Most Wanted (7)M3-A (4)StarViper (3)Aggressor

#10 tintip

tintip

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 08:17 PM

Somehow I don't believe you've bought enough core sets to have accuratley tested this. I have never seen a set of core set dice that perform anything other then as randomly as dice can do.

You do know you can buy dice separately from the core, I have rolled these dice enough times that the results aren't random like they should be. I have one opponent who I refuse to let them use their dice as the rolls are highly weighted in the rollers favour. And this is about finding better dice so don't post if you don't have anything positive to add
  • Khyros and Jagd like this

#11 Deltmi

Deltmi

• Members
  • 560 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 08:18 PM

You do know you can buy dice separately from the core, I have rolled these dice enough times that the results aren't random like they should be. I have one opponent who I refuse to let them use their dice as the rolls are highly weighted in the rollers favour. And this is about finding better dice so don't post if you don't have anything positive to add

You can request to use the same set of dice rather than refusing your opponent to use his dice. 

• Hida77, quasistellar, J43G3RM31ST3R and 1 other like this

Rebel Alliance: 5 [X-Wing], 2 [Y-Wing], 2 [A-Wing], 3 [B-Wing], 2 [HWK-290], 1 [YT-1300], 1 [GR75 Transport], 1 [CR90 Corvette], 4 [Z-95], 2 [E-Wing]

Empire: 8 [Tie Fighter], 3 [Tie Advanced], 3 [Tie Interceptor], 3 [Tie Bomber], 1 [Firespray-31], 1 [Lambda Shuttle], 1 [Imperial Aces], 2 [Tie Phantom], 2 [Tie Defender]

#12 Ihavebadluck

Ihavebadluck

• Members
  • 167 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 08:20 PM

you could use normal d8s and make 8 a crit 567 hits whatever else focus and the rest blanks and do similar for evade dice.

#13 Aminar

Aminar

• Members
  • 3,110 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 08:33 PM

You have an opponent who you won't let use his own dice? You seriously need to consider just how rude that is. These dice operate perfectly fine, and so far as I know, in tournaments the only legal dice are FFG dice. There isn't much positive to add to a discussion where you've complained about the dice without so much as explaining how you came to these conclusions.
It is incredibly easy to believe dice are following a pattern, good or bad, that is statistical bubkiss. Show me the stats from these "rigged dice" and I might believe you, but until then I think you're paranoid/misleading yourself. Your only real option would be the dice app, and most people trust electronic dice far less than physical ones.
  • DagobahDave, Chris Maes, pete.riedner and 17 others like this

#14 dojimaster

dojimaster

• Members
  • 363 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 08:37 PM

There are some really nice translucent dice on Ebay.

• Bjorn Rockfist, DigitalChicanery, BahnCalamari and 2 others like this

#15 Bjorn Rockfist

Bjorn Rockfist

• Members
  • 621 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 08:52 PM

I hear for that kind of money they are guaranteed to hit everytime you roll a hit.

• DagobahDave, Qapla187, stegocent and 5 others like this

Rebel - (4)X-Wing (5)Y (5)A (4)B (3)E (6)HWK-290 (8)Z-95 (3)YT-1300 (3) 2400 (2)GR-75 (1)CR-90 (6)Rebel Aces

Empire - (8)TIE Fighter (4)Advanced (5)Interceptor (6)Bomber (3)Defender (4)Phantom (3)Firespray-31

#16 Baphomet69

Baphomet69

• Members
  • 429 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 09:13 PM

I call shenanigans...
  • Chris Maes and Forensicus like this

#17 Baphomet69

Baphomet69

• Members
  • 429 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 09:16 PM

You have an opponent who you won't let use his own dice? You seriously need to consider just how rude that is. These dice operate perfectly fine, and so far as I know, in tournaments the only legal dice are FFG dice. There isn't much positive to add to a discussion where you've complained about the dice without so much as explaining how you came to these conclusions.

He rolled them. "A lot". Proof enough, no?
  • Chris Maes and Forensicus like this

#18 UnfairBanana

UnfairBanana

• Members
  • 1,279 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 09:19 PM

Not this crap again

• JCDisaray and Corellian Corvette like this

Rebels: 3 A-wings, 3 B-wings, 2 E-wing, 4 X-Wings, 2 Y- Wings, 2 Z-95s, 1 HWK-290, 1 YT-1300, 1 YT-2400, 1 GR-75 Space whale, 1 CR-90 Corvette

Empire: 6 TIE/LN, 4 TIE Interceptors, 2 TIE Bombers, 1 TIE Advanced, 2 TIE Defender, 2 TIE Phantom, 2 Firesprays, 1 Lambda, 1 VT-49

#19 akodo1

akodo1

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 09:22 PM

just draw bursts on the blank sides. Problem solved

• Bjorn Rockfist, rym, Corellian Corvette and 1 other like this

#20 Bjorn Rockfist

Bjorn Rockfist

• Members
  • 621 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 09:24 PM

just draw bursts on the blank sides. Problem solved

YO THEM GREEN DICE NEED MORE LOVIN THEN THE RED ONES!

Edited by Bjorn Rockfist, 10 June 2014 - 09:24 PM.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS