3 X-Wing Squad???

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 36Blade

36Blade

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 03:07 AM

Looking at a 3 X-wing squad any thoughts if this would be good?

Wes Janson + PTL + Engine Upgrade

Wedge + Marksmanship

Luke + R2D2

#2 Vandenberg

Vandenberg

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 04:32 AM

In that list you'd ideally want Wes (PS8) shooting before Wedge (PS9) so Veteran Instincts might be a better choice over PTL and, since you're likely to keep them all together, EU might be better replaced by something else.

• berusplants likes this

#3 Harpsichord

Harpsichord

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 04:57 AM

You really want Wes firing first to make the most of his ability. Because PTL is kind of 'meh' on an X-Wing, VI would be a good replacement on Wes. Marksmanship on Wedge is too risky for too little benefit-- X-Wings are fragile and sometimes you'll need the option of a focus token on defense. If you wanted to keep the same 3 characters you could do something like:

Wes Janson + Veteran Instincts

Wedge + R2 Astromech + Opportunist

Luke + R2 Astromech + Opportunist

97 points

So now your firing order is Wes (10) -> Wedge (9) -> Luke (8) and both Wedge and Luke should be able to throw 4 dice. Opportunist isn't an action so you can still focus. There are still 3 points to play around with for upgrades but I don't think this combo would be too terribly effective. Almost every 3 ship list tends to run Biggs because X-Wings are just so fragile. Since Wes and Wedge do most of the offensive heavy-lifting, it makes sense to replace Luke:

Wes Janson + VI

Wedge + R2 + Opportunist

Biggs

89 Points

This list still has the one-two punch of Wes/Wedge but now your opponent has to chew through an X-Wing just to start killing your heavy-hitters. Lots you could do with the leftover 11 points. R2-F2 and Shield Upgrade on Biggs could buy him an extra turn of covering your squad. R7 makes anyone a decent closer, you could stick it on Wes. You could just throw hull upgrades on everyone and call it a day. Experiment and tell us what's good.

Edited by Harpsichord, 09 June 2014 - 04:58 AM.

#4 flaick

flaick

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 04:57 AM

Wes + Veteran Instinct

Wedge + Opportunist

Luke + "whatever you want"

Rebels: 3 Xwing, 1 Awing.

Imperials: 3 Tie Fighter, 1 Tie Advanced, 3 Tie Inteceptor, 1 Slave, 2 Tie Bomber, 1 Shuttle Lambda.

#5 Imwookie2

Imwookie2

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 05:36 AM

If you decide to run opportunist I would suggest taking wingman on Luke or Biggs

Edited by Imwookie2, 09 June 2014 - 05:38 AM.

#6 36Blade

36Blade

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 05:42 AM

Thanks what about this:

Wes + VI

Wedge + R2D6 + PTL+Marksmanship

Luke + r2d2

#7 Engine25

Engine25

• Members
  • 1,415 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 05:46 AM

can't take R2-D6 if your already have an EPT.

Thanks what about this:

Wes + VI
Luke + r2d2

Just another stuck up, half-witted, scruffy-looking Nerf-Herder bidding you, Fly Casual.

#8 36Blade

36Blade

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 06:48 AM

can't take R2-D6 if your already have an EPT.

Thanks what about this:

Wes + VI
Luke + r2d2

Yeah just realised ... lol

#9 Lyynark

Lyynark

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 07:06 AM

I ran:

Wes + VI + R3A2

Wedge + Opportunist + R2

Biggs + Shield upgrade + R2D2

At our local Imdaar event and this list took me to the finals.

#10 rym

rym

• Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 10:41 AM

Wes Janson + Veteran Instincts

Wedge + R2 Astromech + Opportunist

Luke + R2 Astromech + Opportunist

I took this exact list (except I had added R5-P9 onto Wes) to our local Imdaar event a couple of weeks ago.

This is a great list if you can 1) get it to work through proper flight, and 2) if your opponent has lower PS ships than you, and 3)the dice gods smile in your favor. I had 1 and 2, but not 3, lol.

That being said. I would take a look at the local metagame where you are. Flying 3 ships can be tough, especially when the majority of your opponent's are flying 4 ships or more. Granted, if they are flying 4 or more, you should be shooting first almost all the time, but you need everything to fall into place (damn you Attack Dice of Nothingness and Defense Dice of All Blanks All the Time). I do like Lyynark's take on the list. Biggs may be (probably is, to be honest) a much better fit for this list than Luke.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS