Starfighter mission scenerios

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 Lynata

Lynata

• Members
  • 3,174 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 06:09 PM

Out of curiosity, what do the rest of you do for tie-basing? Is there an impstar around whenever you run more than 3 4-tie Minion groups (12 fighters), or does everything need to be launched from an imperial garrison? What kind of imperial "pocket carriers" are available in Legends and Canon?

In the EU, a whole lot of capital ships, whilst not designated carriers, had at least some smaller craft with them for a variety of duties - not dissimilar from WW2 cruisers and battleships, some of whom had their own airplanes! This complement may range from anything such as the 4 carried by the Gozanti Refit or a Carrack-class Light Cruiser, to a squadron of 12 on a Marauder-class Corvette or a Dreadnaught-class Heavy Cruiser, to 24 on a Nebulon-class Frigate or a Victory-class Star Destroyer.

And then there is the modular Strike-class Cruiser, which in its standard configuration carries 18 fighters - but depending on how it is configured its starfighter complement may range from 0 to 36!

All these ships are or were used by the Galactic Empire, so this should provide you with ample options to choose from depending on how many fighters you want to throw at your players. :)

The new Rebels show has invented this:-

to carry 4 TIEs and provide a more manageable opponent for the shows protagonists than a SD. 

That's not a new ship - but as much as I like to see the Gozanti featured, the new "windows" they added to the sides look really ridiculous when compared in size to the TIE cockpit or even the bridge windows. Is that a deck or a crawlspace?!  <_<

Easily adapted to Star Wars by replacing the mi-go with hostile alien space monsters from another dimension, or some such.

Nesting mynocks!

Or that Space Worm! :D

#22 RogueCorona

RogueCorona

• Members
  • 1,058 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 12:05 AM

Out of curiosity, what do the rest of you do for tie-basing? Is there an impstar around whenever you run more than 3 4-tie Minion groups (12 fighters), or does everything need to be launched from an imperial garrison? What kind of imperial "pocket carriers" are available in Legends and Canon?

In the EU, a whole lot of capital ships, whilst not designated carriers, had at least some smaller craft with them for a variety of duties - not dissimilar from WW2 cruisers and battleships, some of whom had their own airplanes! This complement may range from anything such as the 4 carried by the Gozanti Refit or a Carrack-class Light Cruiser, to a squadron of 12 on a Marauder-class Corvette or a Dreadnaught-class Heavy Cruiser, to 24 on a Nebulon-class Frigate or a Victory-class Star Destroyer.

And then there is the modular Strike-class Cruiser, which in its standard configuration carries 18 fighters - but depending on how it is configured its starfighter complement may range from 0 to 36!

All these ships are or were used by the Galactic Empire, so this should provide you with ample options to choose from depending on how many fighters you want to throw at your players

On the rebel side the Alliance used at least two type of bulk cruiser carrier conversions in the EU plus the MC40A Light Cruiser ans honestly I would be shocked if they ever do a full stat sheet for an MC30C and it has no fighters. I know it didn't carry any in Empire at War but none of the rebel capital ships in Empire at War, including the Nebulon-Bs and MC80s had hangers.

Edited by RogueCorona, 13 June 2014 - 01:18 AM.

#23 Lynata

Lynata

• Members
  • 3,174 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 07:22 AM

Yeah, I think that was just for gameplay - rebel fighters had their own hyperdrives, so you had to produce them seperately, whereas standard TIEs came included with the Imperial capital ships that launched them. I believe with high-end stuff like Defenders and V38s it was the same for the Empire.

It's been some time, though, so this is just from memory! :)

#24 Ghostofman

Ghostofman

• Members
  • 1,766 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 12:05 PM

Yeah that's why I hate Video Game EU, game mechanic points tend to be interpreted as actual universe details...

MAGIC HEADPHONES PROTECT ME FROM THE SPACE!

#25 Lynata

Lynata

• Members
  • 3,174 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 12:37 PM

Not just video games; I'm sure this RPG is just as guilty. In any case, that's why we have ... oh wait, we had a canon that dealt with such issues in a clear and unmistakable manner by removing gameplay mechanics and stats from C-Canon whenever a conflict with non-game material would occur.

Sigh! ;)

#26 Rakaydos

Rakaydos

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 06:23 PM

Alright, so for a "Nemisis battlegroup" I'm looking at a Lancer, 4 Imperial Refit  Gonzanti transports, 2 Intercepters, 2 Bombers, 2 full minion groups of Tie fighters, and 2 half minion groups of tie fighters. The tie fighters being easilly replaced between scenerios, and surviving tie pilots "promoted" to intercepter if the advanced craft get shot down.

As the PCs get stronger, promoting one of the tie minion groups into another two intercepters and two bombers, giving the force 4 intercepters, 4 bombers, a 4x minion group, and two 2x minion groups. If the PCs can kill a transport, they get extra duty, but the transport gets replaces quickly. (the lancer, on the other hand has a name and persistant HP, but the PCs have persistant torpedo counts, so I expect it to remain a boogieman for awhile.)

Edited by Rakaydos, 13 June 2014 - 06:48 PM.

#27 Desslok

Desslok

• Members
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 12:12 AM

So, I'm brainsorming various things a party of fighter pilots can do with a squadron of Y wings. If you have an ideas, feel free to add them.

Why reinvent the wheel? Since Lucasarts has already done all the leg work for you, just shamelessly steal their missions.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS