Rebel ace's..... Imps are in trouble

• Please log in to reply
128 replies to this topic

#121 failedparachute

failedparachute

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 05:00 AM

Minor point of fact: The Imperials are capable of Ion Locking. Two Firesprays, one with Fletchette Torpedoes and the other/both with Ion Cannon(s). Alternatively, you could run a Shuttle/Firespray with an Ion Cannon, and a Rebel Captive for a single ship version. Or a bomber squad with Flechettes and Ion Pulse missiles...

The Rebels just have a slightly easier way to do it with R3-A2 on a Ion Turret equipped Y-Wing, though one thing to note about that combo is that the target must be in the Y's front arc, so running them together isn't exactly enough; positioning matters.

The tactic in question was not whether the Empire could Ion lock a ship, but could they unlock themselves. Only the Rebels can change the forward 1 maneuver to a green (R2 and Nien) and rid the stress to gain their actions back, Empire ships currently can't. They have no means to change their forward maneuver to a green maneuver

Ah, my mistake in understanding, thanks for clearing that up.

Rebel Fleet:

Spoiler

Imperial Fleet:

Spoiler

#122 Gundog8324

Gundog8324

• Members
  • 868 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 10:50 AM

And considering that rebels had just gotten 4 new X-wing pilots and a handful of new upgrades, I would guess there probably were more rebels than imperials in the AoIA.

At my area the first day 2/10 were imperials, myself with a PTL interceptor based squad, and a mixed Bomber/TIE Swarm

Day 2 2/8 were imperials (well 2/7, the 8th was a brand new player who originally planned on watching but we let him borrow some stuff and put together a wedge biggs luke for him to run), myself with a Krassis+Miniswarm, and the same guy from the day before he subbed in Interceptors for the Bombers in his swarm

Day 3 was 3/12 I think (maybe 4/12) My Krassis+miniswarm, a dual Firespray run by the swarm player from the last 2 and a 4 Bomber Squad

I believe a majority of rebel squads had at least one B-wing (6/8 on he first day, not sure about the stats on the second/third days) Y-wings and Falcons of course were very popular, I think only 3(I know one for sure did I am not sure on the other 2) players from the whole weekend (30 players) used the new X-wing, I think the new crew was just used by approximately the same amount of  people

#123 Aminar

Aminar

• Members
  • 3,105 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 10:55 AM

And considering that rebels had just gotten 4 new X-wing pilots and a handful of new upgrades, I would guess there probably were more rebels than imperials in the AoIA.

At my area the first day 2/10 were imperials, myself with a PTL interceptor based squad, and a mixed Bomber/TIE Swarm

Day 2 2/8 were imperials (well 2/7, the 8th was a brand new player who originally planned on watching but we let him borrow some stuff and put together a wedge biggs luke for him to run), myself with a Krassis+Miniswarm, and the same guy from the day before he subbed in Interceptors for the Bombers in his swarm

Day 3 was 3/12 I think (maybe 4/12) My Krassis+miniswarm, a dual Firespray run by the swarm player from the last 2 and a 4 Bomber Squad

I believe a majority of rebel squads had at least one B-wing (6/8 on he first day, not sure about the stats on the second/third days) Y-wings and Falcons of course were very popular, I think only 3(I know one for sure did I am not sure on the other 2) players from the whole weekend (30 players) used the new X-wing, I think the new crew was just used by approximately the same amount of people
My Imdaar Alpha was half and half total, and half and half in the final 4.
We had a 4 RGP list get 4th, 3X get 3rd, My Lambda, Firespray 3 Tie List in Second, and A Chewie with 2 X's Get first.
The other players had 4X, Firespray and Squints and Ties, Dual Falcons, and Vader Fett and 2 Ties. I'm missing a player, but I have no idea what he ran, but it was Imperial while our first round drop out had a Falcon and 1 b-Wing list.

Edited by Aminar, 10 June 2014 - 10:59 AM.

#124 Sithborg

Sithborg

• Members
  • 1,891 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 10:56 AM

As opposed to the roughly 10-12/19 Imperial squads at my Imdaar Alpha event.

• Aminar likes this

#125 Gundog8324

Gundog8324

• Members
  • 868 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 10:59 AM

Further point of fact: MajorJuggler has done a good deal of work tallying the Regionals Results as the come in and for the moment the Imperials have a roughly 70/30 lead over the Rebels. These result,s considering they conflict with your claimed 60/40 win rate for the Rebels for the IA event, say, to me, that the game is fairly balanced at the moment. Speculating about the future will remain just that until we have tournament result data post Wave 4/Rebel Aces.

Well the issue with this is how the "Winners" of IA are defined, because if it is just who won the Top Table match I think it was a much higher than 60/40 (In my area I believe it was all 3 were rebels) if it was who was the higher seed heading into the top match I think that would be a little more of a even split (in my area 5 of the Top 6 were playing rebels to make it to the Top Table, me being the only exception on Saturday)

As a whole when smallish sample sizes are compared the Rebels will come out ahead(in my opinion/hunch) because they are less dice reliant which evens out when a larger sample size is used (IE less tragic tales of a Interceptor/Tie ace 1shotted at r3 as a percentage of the overall field)

#126 Gundog8324

Gundog8324

• Members
  • 868 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 11:03 AM

So sounds like my area is an outlier.  Sounds like usual for my area  which has been nicknamed "77 Square miles surrounded by reality"

Edited by Gundog8324, 10 June 2014 - 11:46 AM.

#127 Aminar

Aminar

• Members
  • 3,105 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 11:10 AM

Further point of fact: MajorJuggler has done a good deal of work tallying the Regionals Results as the come in and for the moment the Imperials have a roughly 70/30 lead over the Rebels. These result,s considering they conflict with your claimed 60/40 win rate for the Rebels for the IA event, say, to me, that the game is fairly balanced at the moment. Speculating about the future will remain just that until we have tournament result data post Wave 4/Rebel Aces.

Well the issue with this is how the "Winners" of IA are defined, because if it is just who won the Top Table match I think it was a much higher than 60/40 (In my area I believe it was all 3 were rebels) if it was who was the higher seed heading into the top match I think that would be a little more of a even split (in my area 5 of the Top 6 were playing rebels to make it to the Top Table, me being the only exception on Saturday)

As a whole when smallish sample sizes are compared the Rebels will come out ahead(in my opinion/hunch) because they are less dice reliant which evens out when a larger sample size is used (IE less tragic tales of a Interceptor/Tie ace 1shotted at r3 as a percentage of the overall field)
I wouldn't count the final table, as the circumstances left Rebels with some relatively huge advantages. They had more space for other ships, and a major Falcon weakness that wasn't offset by the number of games played against Non-Falcons and the weaknesses counterbuilding against phantoms add.

#128 Tanarri

Tanarri

• Members
  • 190 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 12:11 PM

The tournament I was at had 4 out of 15 were imperial out of the 11 rebel players I think 8 were running chewie one of those was double falcon. The other 3 squads consisted of a 2y 2 b, bloody daggers, and wedge rookie and 2 blues.

Edit: There might have only been 7 falcon lists now that I think about it I think there was another bloody daggers squad. Also out of the top 4 only one was imperial. Double falcon had first, Wedge's rookie Blues had second, I honestly don't know who took 3rd I just know it was rebel 4th was krassis + HLC, and mercenary copilot, Jonus + Squad leader, assault missile, Gamma + Assault missile and I think proton torpedo

Edited by Tanarri, 10 June 2014 - 12:16 PM.

#129 MajorJuggler

MajorJuggler

MathWinger

• Members
  • 2,737 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 01:08 PM

MJ's Relevant post: http://community.fan...ults/?p=1066846

It's 70-30 looking at just the winners, weighting each Regional winner proportional to the number of players present. But there is going to be a fairly high standard deviation in that measurement because of the limited number of events, and only one squad represents each entire regional, if all you care about is the winners.

Looking at players that made the Final Cut or Top Third, and weighting according to players and squad placement, it's a little more even at 60-40. So it still favors Imperials slightly; swarms seem to have gotten a boost since Store Championships, due to the 12-point win rule.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS