Rebel ace's..... Imps are in trouble

• Please log in to reply
128 replies to this topic

#1 Knucklesamwich

Knucklesamwich

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 07:54 PM

I play Imp's, a lot of Imp's. My X-wing arch nemesis (my dastardly brother-in-law) loves to fly rebel ships so I usually stick to imperials. I have become pretty proficeint with all the Imperial ships and I really enjoy flying imperials at this point. Well I recently got the CR-90 and found two very interesting cards C-3PO and Han Solo. These two add more very nice unique crew for the rebels who already had quite a few nice uniques already. I want to know why the only unique crew for the imperials is a homicidal maniac? The rebel have two more incredible crew coming in the form of Kyle Katarn and Jan Ors crew and they are points 2 or 3 points for incredibly great skills. Am I supposed to believe that there are no good cadidates for imperial unique crew? How about Ozzel, Piett, Needa, Tarkin, Thrawn, Boba Fett, Bossk, IG-88, 4-lom, Zuckuss or Dengar? The rebels are becoming much more dominant in many lists and tournaments before these new crew cards and It appears that Rebel Ace's is going to severely swing the game to a rebel centered meta. It's getting to where it's going to be a lot more fun to fly rebels with all the synergistic combo's that are coming. If not for the amazingly overpowered Howlrunner area of effect skill the imp's would have nothing. When will we see some imp crew card love?
  • Digitalkiller, KILODEN, BattlePriest and 1 other like this

#2 Black Knight Leader

Black Knight Leader

• Members
  • 400 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 08:04 PM

I play Imp's, a lot of Imp's. My X-wing arch nemesis (my dastardly brother-in-law) loves to fly rebel ships so I usually stick to imperials. I have become pretty proficeint with all the Imperial ships and I really enjoy flying imperials at this point. Well I recently got the CR-90 and found two very interesting cards C-3PO and Han Solo. These two add more very nice unique crew for the rebels who already had quite a few nice uniques already. I want to know why the only unique crew for the imperials is a homicidal maniac? The rebel have two more incredible crew coming in the form of Kyle Katarn and Jan Ors crew and they are points 2 or 3 points for incredibly great skills. Am I supposed to believe that there are no good cadidates for imperial unique crew? How about Ozzel, Piett, Needa, Tarkin, Thrawn, Boba Fett, Bossk, IG-88, 4-lom, Zuckuss or Dengar? The rebels are becoming much more dominant in many lists and tournaments before these new crew cards and It appears that Rebel Ace's is going to severely swing the game to a rebel centered meta. It's getting to where it's going to be a lot more fun to fly rebels with all the synergistic combo's that are coming. If not for the amazingly overpowered Howlrunner area of effect skill the imp's would have nothing. When will we see some imp crew card love?

I would say add all the Grand Admirals but then that would make the Imps too powerful.

On the other hand screw it!

• BattlePriest likes this

May the Holy Trinity be with you and give you peace.

#3 AdmiralThrawn

AdmiralThrawn

• Members
  • 280 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 08:05 PM

I am a proud member of the imperial navy as well and I have to say one of the main reasons I became a part of it is because I enjoyed the challenge, on the battlefield and while planning my lists. It's no fun if you always win! I'm not saying rebels always are better but I do think that at least for me since the beginning with the core sets it took a darn good pilot to fly a tiny 3 hull tie fighter against those named x wings. No shields, all guts.

And we will get plenty of awesome crew with the inevitable new imperial huge ships, (hopefully myself the Grand admiral included) The imperials will never be beaten by just some more options, and I will always find it fun to fly as Soontir, and the super maneuverable elite imperials no matter what the rebels have. This game is incredibly balanced, and it's gonna stay that way.

And to answer you complaints about imperials getting the downside of things, I say one word:

Phantom

• dojimaster, Ailowynn, swimmingordy and 4 others like this

"Information always matters. Bad information leads to bad tactics. Incomplete information leads to flawed strategy. Both can lead to defeat."

#4 Red Castle

Red Castle

• Members
  • 717 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 08:06 PM

As crazy as it sounds, with all the rebel's beautiful toys coming and coming and coming.... I still prefer to fly the Imperial side and don't believe that anything coming for the rebels will make my imperial's builds less effective. Rebels have been getting free token and actions from day one with Garven and Dutch. Yes, they have more variety in their upgrades and crew, but it doesn't make their ships any less boring to fly.... Just counter with a Phantom, Lt Lorrir, a defender, Soontir Fel, now that is some fun flying!

• oneway and BattlePriest like this

I'm a french native player so sometimes, some expressions or meanings might be lost in translation. I mean no disrespect.

#5 Sithborg

Sithborg

• Members
  • 1,259 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 08:07 PM

If you are that envious of the Rebels, play Rebels.

Nothing Rebels have gotten make me worried for the Imperials. The Phantom and Defender are much better than the E-wing and Z-95. Even the almighty Keyan Farlander doesn't make me quake when I plan on playing Imperials.

• dojimaster and UnfairBanana like this

#6 UnfairBanana

UnfairBanana

• Members
  • 654 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 08:09 PM

It's not like you can switch sides or anything...

oh wait...

• dojimaster, Forensicus and nurglez like this

Rebels: 4 X-Wings, 2 Y- Wings, 2 A-Wings, 2 B-wings, 1 HWK-290, 1 YT-1300, 1 GR-75 Space whale, 1 CR-90 Corvette

Empire: 5 TIE/LN, 4 TIE Interceptors(1 Guard, 2 Saber, 1 Standard), 2 TIE Bombers, 1 TIE Advanced, 1 Firespray, 1 Lambda

#7 Knucklesamwich

Knucklesamwich

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 08:11 PM

Since I was a child I have been fascinated with Darth Vader and the imperial navy! I will never throw my loyalties to the terrorist rebels! I just want some grand admiral's or bounty hunters to play with.
  • Rakky Wistol likes this

#8 Red Castle

Red Castle

• Members
  • 717 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 08:11 PM

It's not like you can switch sides or anything...

oh wait...

Wait... what are those papers I signed for when I started to play then...?

• Muz likes this

I'm a french native player so sometimes, some expressions or meanings might be lost in translation. I mean no disrespect.

#9 iPeregrine

iPeregrine

• Members
  • 448 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 08:13 PM

Relax. The sky is not falling. Once people have time to playtest the new rebel-only crew cards they're probably going to end up in the "fun, but not amazing" pile. Jan and Kyle are fairly situational upgrades that don't really have a good place to go. Most YT-1300s are already committed to a gunner and recon spec/Chewbacca/C-3PO for defense and can't afford to replace either of them. Same with the HWK, most of the time you're already committed to a recon spec to use your blaster turret. The b-wing brings interesting options, but it's already a fairly expensive ship that has to pay a 1-point tax just to get the crew slot.

And of course the recent rebel-only cards aren't much better. Han adds some flexibility but isn't that much better than just taking a focus action every turn, Leia is incredibly situational and you'll often struggle to get more than one ship to benefit, and R2-D2 is way too dangerous. C-3PO is obviously good on 1-agility ships, but that's one good card out of six!

#10 magadizer

magadizer

• Members
  • 922 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 08:14 PM

Sorry, OP, but....yawn. This complaint has been retread a bunch of times already. It's not worth arguing against it, as it's your right to feel that way, but I suggest a wait and see approach. Assuming that FFG isn't going to put the cash cow to pasture, I'm sure they will have lots more cool things coming for the Imperials in Wave 5 and beyond. For now, sit back and enjoy the cloaking!
  • Vorpal Sword likes this
Be seeing you.

#11 Sergovan

Sergovan

• Members
  • 965 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 08:16 PM

I'm just waiting for the Gencon release and the Imperial crew cards that will be forthcoming (next year!). I do not like the two rebel ships for epic play. It should have been one and one. Because of it, the Rebels got crew and x-wing boosting abilities and Empire has nothing. And the next pack to come out is a rebel aces pack. So lots of Rebel boosting cards, pilots, weapons, crew, but mainly for the Rebels.

Rebels: 5 X-Wing, 4 Y-Wing, 4 A-Wing, 2 Yt-1300, 3 B-wing, 3 HWK-290, 3 Z-95, 1 E-wing, 1 CR 75

Empire: 6 Tie Fighters, 6 Tie Interceptors (1- 181st, 1- RG), 2 Tie Advanced, 2 Firesprays, 4 Tie Bombers,

2 Lambda, 1 Tie Phantom, 1 Defender

Tournament results: 11 of 11; 3 of 11;(AoIA)2 of 3; 12 of 28

#12 Knucklesamwich

Knucklesamwich

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 08:19 PM

I can see chewie flying with Jan and C-3PO along with PTL and the falcon title and lando feeding him actions being very resilient.

#13 Hoosteen

Hoosteen

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 08:21 PM

Inb4 "Imperials got new stuff with wave 4, so stop complaining."
(even though turrets make most of the Imperial wave 4 irrelevant)

If not for the amazingly overpowered Howlrunner area of effect skill the imp's would have nothing. When will we see some imp crew card love?

I would like to add to this:
Rebel wave 4 + Rebel Aces is going to destroy Howlrunner. Imperial swarms are toast now... Which would be fine, if there was another viable option (not counting extremely fragile or high-risk Imp lists).

Also, you forgot to mention that Rebels have droids.

So, Rebels have a bunch of crewmen and droids, all to themselves.
Imperials have Darth Vader. And bombs. (that our "bombers" can apparently only hold one of?!)

*edit* oops... Apparently my slow phone typing failed my inb4. :|

Edited by Hoosteen, 08 June 2014 - 08:24 PM.

Galactic Empire: 8x Tie Fighters, 1x Tie Advance, 1x Tie Bomber, 2x Firespray 31,

Rebel Alliance: 4x X-Wings, 1x A-Wing, 1x B-Wing, 1x YT1300,

--Proud Member of the Imperial Navy--

"These aren't the repaints you're looking for..."

#14 Jolleyone

Jolleyone

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 08:23 PM

The Empire is not made up of individuals, it is ONE whole, (made up of a lot of generic numbers), where as the Rebellion grasp at any individual that can shot a blaster, or fly a ship, and try to make a hero out of them.

#15 Knucklesamwich

Knucklesamwich

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 08:24 PM

The Z-95 spelled the end of the swarm. I think FFG hates the swarm quite a hit with the way they are knocking its teeth out.

#16 Knucklesamwich

Knucklesamwich

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 08:26 PM

If the imperials are supposed to be nameless pilots them we should get more area of effect skills like Howlrunner has to make those nameless pilots perform better.

#17 dojimaster

dojimaster

• Members
  • 199 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 08:32 PM

So Imps get the Defender and the Phantom, but ...... oh, nevermind. 

Edited by dojimaster, 08 June 2014 - 08:32 PM.

#18 Sithborg

Sithborg

• Members
  • 1,259 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 08:32 PM

The Swarm is not dead. It just has to adjust. Howlrunner swarms as they used the run can't in the face of a swarm of Assault Missiles, Predator, and the Phantom. There are options though. Split up your Howlrunner swarm. Give the old 8 TIE swarm a try. Or just modify the 6-7 TIE swarm to the meta needs.

And I will love seeing a Falcon load up it's actions purely for defense. 2 Evade tokens and C-3PO. What are you going to do for offense. And you are going to need those results in the face of Outmaneuver (which also negates C-3PO at range 1-2). You can keep on your worrying, but Imperials are in no way, shape, or form unable to keep up with the Rebels.

• dojimaster and Stelar 7 like this

#19 ObiWonka

ObiWonka

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 08:33 PM

The Z-95 spelled the end of the swarm. I think FFG hates the swarm quite a hit with the way they are knocking its teeth out.

There are plenty of new tools (for both sides) that help deal with Swarms. The Z-95 is not one of them.

Rebel: 2x A-Wing, 2x B-Wing, 1x E-Wing, 2x HWK-290, 4x X-Wing, 2x Y-Wing, 1x YT-1300, 1x Z-95 Headhunter

Imperial: 1x Firespray-31, 1x Lambda Shuttle, 1x TIE Defender, 6x TIE Fighter, 1x TIE Advanced, 2x TIE Bomber, 6x TIE Interceptor, 1x TIE Phantom

BEARFACE

#20 Sergovan

Sergovan

• Members
  • 965 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 08:33 PM

If the meta is doing away with the Imperial swarm by giving the Rebels the ability to swarm and decimate large groups (I'm looking at you Lt. Blount) then when, daresay I ask, will the Empire gets its turreted ship to counter the 0 to 4 advantage that the Rebels currently have?

Rebels: 5 X-Wing, 4 Y-Wing, 4 A-Wing, 2 Yt-1300, 3 B-wing, 3 HWK-290, 3 Z-95, 1 E-wing, 1 CR 75

Empire: 6 Tie Fighters, 6 Tie Interceptors (1- 181st, 1- RG), 2 Tie Advanced, 2 Firesprays, 4 Tie Bombers,

2 Lambda, 1 Tie Phantom, 1 Defender

Tournament results: 11 of 11; 3 of 11;(AoIA)2 of 3; 12 of 28

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS