How do you Corran?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Ribann

Ribann

• Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 07:01 PM

What are the leading theories as to how to maximize Corran's effectiveness in a match?

Just want to hear some ideas, as I won the E-wing and want to test it out at a local group tomorrow night.

Cheers!

#2 WonderWAAAGH

WonderWAAAGH

Oasean Ork

• Members
  • 2,353 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 07:02 PM

Expose, FCS, Marksmanship, Opportunist, to name a few.

It's not easy being green.

#3 Jagd

Jagd

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 07:05 PM

Marksmanship definitely if you want to use his special ability often. It grants you the bonus for his 2nd attack too! Put also a FCS and you will have something quite solid on him!

Edited by Jagd, 08 June 2014 - 08:59 PM.

• Ribann likes this

#4 Red Castle

Red Castle

• Members
  • 716 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 07:18 PM

Expose and FCS for me if there is another pilot giving free action or tokens in the team.

I'm a french native player so sometimes, some expressions or meanings might be lost in translation. I mean no disrespect.

#5 WonderWAAAGH

WonderWAAAGH

Oasean Ork

• Members
  • 2,353 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 07:25 PM

As excited as I am that Expose might finally have some potential, I have yet to see the mathwingers weigh in on the issue.

Edited by WonderWAAAGH, 08 June 2014 - 07:26 PM.

It's not easy being green.

#6 ObiWonka

ObiWonka

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 07:31 PM

My ideal Corran build is

Corran Horn (35)

+ Engine Upgrade (4)

+ R2-D2 (4)

+ Marksmanship (3)

+ Fire Control System (2)

On the turns you fire, two attacks of 3+ with "super Focus" and Target Lock for one or more (if you picked up the TL earlier).

On the turns you don't fire, one of your many green maneuvers regenerates a shield and Engine Upgrade can help you get away.

Unfortunately, that's 48 points in a small ship. However, I just threw it together with this, and I like it (on my computer screen at least):

Chewbacca (42)

+ Luke Skywalker (7)

+ Decoy (2)

+ Millenium Falcon (1)

With Luke on board, Chewie can use the Title to Evade while still having good firepower. And if Corran's on a non-firing run, Decoy can pull over his PS8. Since the E-Wing already comes with Barrel Roll, you could drop the Engine Upgrade on Corran for some more goodies on Chewie, or simply give Corran even more durability with Shield/Hull Upgrade.

• bladeofdorin and championstyle like this

Rebel: 2x A-Wing, 2x B-Wing, 1x E-Wing, 2x HWK-290, 4x X-Wing, 2x Y-Wing, 1x YT-1300, 1x Z-95 Headhunter

Imperial: 1x Firespray-31, 1x Lambda Shuttle, 1x TIE Defender, 6x TIE Fighter, 1x TIE Advanced, 2x TIE Bomber, 6x TIE Interceptor, 1x TIE Phantom

BEARFACE

#7 Red Castle

Red Castle

• Members
  • 716 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 07:40 PM

As excited as I am that Expose might finally have some potential, I have yet to see the mathwingers weigh in on the issue.

Yeah, that's why there is a if another pilot is giving tokens (TL or Focus) in the team.

if not, PtL + R2 + FCS sounds better for the same value, or just Marksmanship and FCS... But I so want to make Expose works! 

I'm a french native player so sometimes, some expressions or meanings might be lost in translation. I mean no disrespect.

#8 AdmiralThrawn

AdmiralThrawn

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 07:43 PM

I tried out corran with R2-D2, EU, FCS, and PTL and I definitely wish I had used an r2 instead of R2-D2, I was really missing those green 2 turns that I though e wings had...

"Information always matters. Bad information leads to bad tactics. Incomplete information leads to flawed strategy. Both can lead to defeat."

#9 Skargoth

Skargoth

• Members
  • 457 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 08:10 PM

I ran him last night against my girlfriend, and basically the topic title popped into my head then too.

So last night I ran this 100 list:

Corran Horn

PtL

FCS

Engine

R2 Astro

Dagger + Adv Sensor x2

Corran never got hit once, because his off round moves consisted of him juking across the map with Boost + Barrel Roll. He is in no way invulnerable, but if you play right you can get nasty alternating the all in attack round and all in defense.round.

I think he will be better with a few cheap Z's to fill the list, but this list worked.

I played Corran like a PtL interceptor at deployment. Deploy straight forward from the extreme edges of the board. 5 straight, bank boost towards center of map, then barrel roll as far forward as you can and you're 3/5 across the board in the first round and angled 45 degree to start flanking shots either in the first or second round.

Edited by Skargoth, 08 June 2014 - 08:15 PM.

• ObiWonka, Wraithdt and Ribann like this

#10 Gundog8324

Gundog8324

• Members
  • 587 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 10:37 PM

I believe the math will support focusing for both attacks (AKA marksmanship) to be superior even with the FCS if you have Garven/Kyle/Lando passing a focus so you can have an extra attack die on the first attack and then a TL+Focus+Extra die on the second it may be useful

#11 Wisesam

Wisesam

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 02:21 AM

So in the imbaar event final, I ran him with PTL, Engine, Droid that let's you target lock and boost and advance sensors... I then took cracken with wingman and Biggs with a couple of bits... Corran was so fast and could end up almost anywhere! He was prob more maneuverable then the Echo!

#12 ObiWonka

ObiWonka

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 05:33 AM

Why did you need both Engine and the Astromech that lets you boost? Seems like a lot of points for a little gain.

Rebel: 2x A-Wing, 2x B-Wing, 1x E-Wing, 2x HWK-290, 4x X-Wing, 2x Y-Wing, 1x YT-1300, 1x Z-95 Headhunter

Imperial: 1x Firespray-31, 1x Lambda Shuttle, 1x TIE Defender, 6x TIE Fighter, 1x TIE Advanced, 2x TIE Bomber, 6x TIE Interceptor, 1x TIE Phantom

BEARFACE

#13 malladin.ben

malladin.ben

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 08:53 AM

Hmmm, expose and FCS with 2 attacks a turn. Lets compare with using ptl to start the round with TL&focus, also with FCS, an with opportunist (assuming you can use opportunist on the second attack) and FCS

At range 2-3:

Expose & FCS: 4 dice basic + 4 dice with TL = 2+3=5

PtL & FCS: 3 dice TL&F + 3 dice TL = 2.8125+2.25 = 5.0625

Opportunist & FCS: 3 dice TL/F + 4 dice TL = 2.25+3 = 5.25

At range 1:

Expose & FCS: 5 dice basic + 5 dice with TL = 2.5+3.75 = 6.25

PtL & FCS: 4 dice TL&F + 4 Dice TL = 3.75+3 = 6.75

Opportunist & FCS: 4 dice TL/F + 5 dice TL = 3+3.75 = 6.75

I did wonder whether the 2 attacks might actually make Expose viable. But no, it's still bad. Just not quite as much.

The comparison between PtL and Opportunist is perhaps more interesting, with opportunist better at long range but the same at range 1. The fact that they both give stress is another interesting part of the comparison. Personally I think I would still stump for PtL, as it adds a bit more flexibility to focus & evade or barrel roll, or boost and barrel roll with the EU (although personally I look at how pricey this build is and would go straight for hull or shield upgrade.

With either PtL or Opportunist, R2D2 make a lot of sense with the extra green manoeuvres you'll be making, and even more with a shield upgrade.

Cheerio,

Ben

#14 Ribann

Ribann

• Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 09:14 AM

Even with all the math, I think Marksmanship will ultimately guarantee those crits, which is what I'm looking for.

#15 Khyros

Khyros

• Members
  • 1,870 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 09:21 AM

At his price range, I think EU is almost needed.  I've run him several times without it, and I keep WANTING it, especially for getting away on the second turn (or for closing to R1 for the double shot).  I'm torn between VI and PTL as an EPT.  VI helps with ensuring he moves last so he can arc dodge everything, but PTL allows him to arc dodge more effectively when there's no one at PS8/9.  

FCS is a good use of 2 points imo for his second shot, and as an end game closer since it frees your actions up for dodging.  And then if I'm going with PTL, R2 droid... but if I'm not, either no droid, or R2D2, depending on the other points.

Corran

FCS

VI/PTL

R2D2/R2

I'm not a big fan of marksmanship even with the second shot, as the FCS gives you a TL, and while not as good as a TL+F attack, at least you have an action to spend, plus it's a point cheaper and leaves the EPT slot open for better things.  Heck, I might want to try predator at some point in there.  A reroll is nice... two rerolls is even better... 4 rerolls is just rediculous.  But then that would negate the FCS... So maybe put outmaneuver in there - after all he'll be flown weirdly with his pewpew run away strategy.  

The fleet:  

Spoiler

#16 malladin.ben

malladin.ben

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 09:33 AM

Even with all the math, I think Marksmanship will ultimately guarantee those crits, which is what I'm looking for.

Actually, I think the maths support you:

Marksman + FCS:

Range 2-3: 3 dice marksman + 3 dice marksman & TL = 2.25+2.8125 = 5.0625

Range 1: 4 dice marksman + 4 dice marksman & TL = 3+3.75 = 6.75

So not only are the numbers the same as PtL on the number of raw hits, but its also it doesn't cost you the stress, and that's before you factor in the extra crits you're causing. It lacks the flexibility of PtL, but man it packs a punch. Good shout, sir!

• ObiWonka and Ribann like this

#17 Bohrdumb

Bohrdumb

• Members
  • 576 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 09:42 AM

I hate 3 ship Reb builds, but I was pondering 

Cracken + SL

Horn + Marks + FCS + R2

Wedge + Outmaneuver + EU

Edited by Bohrdumb, 09 June 2014 - 09:43 AM.

5 X, 3 B, 2 A, 2 Y, 1 Hwk.

6 TIE, 2 TIE B. 2 Ints, 1 Adv

Ordered: 1 Defender, 2 Phantoms

#18 Jo Jo

Jo Jo

• Members
  • 443 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 09:45 AM

Is Corran priority target # 1 if you are against him? Even over Wedge and Wes? He could kill a B-wing in one go if you are lucky.

"And then, we'll remind the Rebellion what war is all about." 

#19 Wisesam

Wisesam

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 09:57 AM

Why did you need both Engine and the Astromech that lets you boost? Seems like a lot of points for a little gain.

You'd be surprised how advantageous boosting twice is... Gets him out of all sorts of trouble or in range 1 and put of arc etc of stuff... :-)

#20 negative9

negative9

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 09:57 AM

I won the imdaar event using Horn

ran him R7-T1, PTL, FCS

you don't need engine because you can use the T1 defensively as well.  I think people forget that you don't need to have them in arc, they just need to have you in arc to get the boost. 

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS