Tournament game length

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Darth evil

Darth evil

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 04:25 PM

I have recently read that the Regionals for the western Quebec area in Canada will be 60 minute games, this is so more games can be played in less time, however i find that this will restrict list types because of the further push to cause more dmg in less time.

Does anyone else believe that is does make some lists which could perform at 75minutes to be a liability at 60 minutes?

Empire ship: Tie Fighter x7, Tie Interceptor x6, Tie Advanced,Tie Bombers x4,Lambda Shuttle x2 ,Firespray,Tie Phantom,Tie Defender

Rebel Ships:X-wing x4,B-wing x3,Y-wing x2, A-wing x2, YT-1300,E-wing x1

#2 UnfairBanana

UnfairBanana

• Members
  • 852 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 04:48 PM

is 15 minutes really that big? By then, surely the game should be nearing an end. As long as both players play efficiently and don't stand around wasting time, it should be fine

Rebels: 2 A-wings, 2 B-wings, 1 E-wing, 4 X-Wings, 2 Y- Wings, 2 Z-95s, 1 HWK-290, 1 YT-1300, 1 GR-75 Space whale, 1 CR-90 Corvette

Empire: 5 TIE/LN, 4 TIE Interceptors, 2 TIE Bombers, 1 TIE Advanced, 1 TIE Defender, 1 TIE Phantom, 2 Firesprays, 1 Lambda

#3 AlexW

AlexW

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 05:07 PM

It's 20% less time. I'd say it's significant, but it is within the FFG standard.

#4 ziggy2000

ziggy2000

• Members
  • 737 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 05:10 PM

Two things: First, and most obvious, is that it is perfectly within the purview of the TO to change the length of rounds. 75 minutes is recommended, with adjustments up to 90 or down to 60 officially supported in the tourney rules. Since Regional tourneys are only 16 in number this year as opposed to close to 100 last year, it does not surprise me to see savvy TOs adjusting the round length to compensate for larger expected turnouts at these events.

Second, you are absolutely right that it can affect the performance of certain lists. But reflect on this - at least  players can plan for this contingency ahead of time, rather than showing up at the event and having the change sprung on them at the last moment.

#5 R2ShihTzu

R2ShihTzu

• Members
  • 400 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 05:18 PM

15 mins IS pretty significant. It often can be the difference between full win and partial, which can be huge. It also is more susceptible to intentional and unintentional slow play. I am not a fan of 60 min games and I play very fast.

#6 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,328 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 05:45 PM

15 mins IS pretty significant. It often can be the difference between full win and partial, which can be huge. It also is more susceptible to intentional and unintentional slow play. I am not a fan of 60 min games and I play very fast.

Luckily, modified wins are a lot less likely at any time point now that you only need a 12 point edge to get a full win.

#7 Osoroshii

Osoroshii

龍神

• Members
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 05:47 PM

I honestly wish there was only one official time limit for Standard play. The time diffrence makes an impact on what squads are better than others.

#8 magadizer

magadizer

2014 X-wing Store Championship Participant

• Members
  • 1,045 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 08:37 PM

I ran our assault on Imdaar tourney at 60 minutes. Yes, it makes a difference, but I preferred it for any tourney that is 4 or more rounds. I guess I don't have the endurance of some. 60 minutes is still a good length.
Be seeing you.

#9 StevenO

StevenO

• Members
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 09:04 PM

It's already been noted but with the rule change dropping Full Wins down to a 12 point lead losing 15 minutes going from 75 to 60 shouldn't be as big a deal.

I guess a consequence of that is it may encourage more "hit and run" squadrons that go for an early point lead and then hope to outlast the counter attack.  This is NOT condoning stalling but if you get behind you do need to figure out how to catch up.

One question I may have is what exactly the 60 minute game time means.  If you play 60 minutes and the game then ends after that round (which should be the case) or if it just ends at what ever point it is during the round (which shouldn't be the way a game ends.)

#10 gentgeen

gentgeen

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 09:12 PM

You finish the round. Specifically, on page 2, in the "end of match" section,

(if time is called mid-round, players must finish the round).

That doesn't change if the time limit has been changed.

#11 StevenO

StevenO

• Members
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 09:26 PM

You finish the round. Specifically, on page 2, in the "end of match" section,

(if time is called mid-round, players must finish the round).

That doesn't change if the time limit has been changed.

I figured as much but have read a few too many stories about people having games end abruptly. 

#12 BahnCalamari

BahnCalamari

• Members
  • 168 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 04:50 AM

It is Regionals. Most players will be experienced and will be able to place dials, take actions and make decisions swiftly.

I have played tournaments at 60, 75 and 90 minutes and prefer 60 minutes by far, even when flying a swarm. The only people that really benefit from longer games are larger groups of new players.

X-Wing

Spoiler

ANr:

Spoiler

#13 DoubleNot7

DoubleNot7

• Members
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 07:10 AM

Given the number of rounds played, I prefer the 60 minute time length.  Playing 4 or more rounds then cutting to finals makes for a very long day.  I prefer casual and scenario games to tournaments but still play tournaments.  But with the new rules, I'm thinking of just playing escalation tournaments (with a few exceptions).  I just don't care much for starting before noon and ending around 9pm for playing a game.

Enimo Et Fide

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS