• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#21 SableGryphon

SableGryphon

Ghostly Void Bison

• Members
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 05:23 PM

Further, monoculture lists are often rather brittle. It's better to run a varied list to take care of different threats.

Hmm. Somewhere I heard about a couple of monoculture lists doing very well. Something about 5 Gamma Bombers with Seismics. Must just be my imagination ;P

Oh, they can be fun. But that list has problems. It's great fun, especially against people who have never flown against it before. :) But considering that, in a 100 point list, you can only fly 4 Interceptors with Stealth device or 12 in an Epic list, I find it questionable to buy 14 firesprays because you need the cards. At that point, it's not a tournament, proxy it. :)

• Revanchist likes this

Come on down to Sable's Shuttle Emporium for all your Alabaster Void Bison needs!

5 TIE Advanced, 6 TIE Bomber, 4 TIE Defender, 10 TIE Fighter, 6 TIE Interceptor, 4 TIE Phantom, 4 Firespray, 5 Lambda, 2 VT-49

7 A-Wing, 7 B-Wing, 3 E-Wing, 7 X-Wing, 4 Y-Wing, 6 Z-95, 4 HWK-290, 2 YT-1300, 2 YT-2400, 2 GR-75, 1 CR-90

#22 UnfairBanana

UnfairBanana

• Members
  • 1,106 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 05:26 PM

Not really, if you shop online. I don't like paying $15 per ship, but $10 is certainly doable. Amazon is usually pretty good and often has free shipping. Not bad at all. I do hate when people ask "how much have you spent on this game?"
Usually results in a "shut up and be thankful I've provided all this for us to play with"

• Vonpenguin, Segmentvs and Caadium like this

Rebels: 3 A-wings, 3 B-wings, 2 E-wing, 4 X-Wings, 2 Y- Wings, 2 Z-95s, 1 HWK-290, 1 YT-1300, 1 GR-75 Space whale, 1 CR-90 Corvette

Empire: 6 TIE/LN, 4 TIE Interceptors, 2 TIE Bombers, 1 TIE Advanced, 2 TIE Defender, 2 TIE Phantom, 2 Firesprays, 1 Lambda

#23 ReaverRandall

ReaverRandall

• Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 05:29 PM

x-wing is by far the most wallet friendly starting out.

you can spend $100 and if you practice and know your stuff still compete with 99% of the rest of the players out there and have fun doing it.

you don't need to spend hundreds of $$$ to be competitive and have a good time. you would be hard pressed to say that about the other games mentioned.

the only other game that has been that much fun right from the starting gate was Dust Tactics, but that game escalated into an arms race pretty quickly.

the thing i love about x-wing is you could have all the ships and all the cards and think you are the best thing since sliced bread, but you can still get your teeth handed to you by someone using the core set/wave 1 ships.

it's all about how you fly....and how much love the dice gods show you!

Edited by ReaverRandall, 08 June 2014 - 05:29 PM.

• VanorDM and EvilEd209 like this

#24 Lagomorphia

Lagomorphia

• Validating
  • 1,557 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 05:44 PM

X-wing's only as expensive as it is because we all want to buy every ship, far more than we could field. Imagine how expensive something like Warhammer would be if you tried to get a viable force for every single faction.

• VanorDM likes this

#25 Stelar 7

Stelar 7

• Members
  • 627 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 05:48 PM

You know, full store price is a bit high, but I save thst for impulse purchases. Online, prices are dirt cheap for what you get. Your tie swarm can be had for less than $100 if you buy three starters and two blisters online, that will leave you holding three handsom xwings as well. Not to mention spare templates, dice and damage decs.

Buy one xwing blister and you will have free shipping and two tournament ready lists.
Rebel scum: 5 X-Wings, 4 Y-Wings, 3 A-Wings, 3 B-Wings, 2 Hawks, 1Falcon, 2 E-Wings, 4 Z-95 1 Transport.

Imperial cannon fodder: 2 Phantoms, 2 Defenders, 7 Tie Fighters, 7 Interceptors, 3 Bombers, 2 Lambdas, 3 Firesprays, 1 Vader, er Tie Advanced

#26 Red Castle

Red Castle

• Members
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 05:50 PM

OK, you have the basic game and want to expand your number of x wings. You buy one expansion, get a lovely model and some cool new cards and pilots. You buy another expansion, get another sweet model and,...all the same cards you got last time. As most of the pilots are unique you now have a load of duplicate cards you don't need and can't use. If you want a TIE swarm that's gonna be even worse. It should be possible to buy miniatures without the cards.

Well lucky you cause about every other players would like the option to buy card only without having to buy multiple of the same ship. I suggest you sell your cards on ebay if you have no need for them.

But quite frankly, if FFG were to sell ship without cards, you would save what? 50 cents maybe? So why go to the trouble of making an whole new package just for a couple cents.

I'm a french native player so sometimes, some expressions or meanings might be lost in translation. I mean no disrespect.

#27 Lagomorphia

Lagomorphia

• Validating
  • 1,557 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 05:52 PM

Plus manufacturing one set without cards would increase production costs and drive the cost of both up.

• Vorpal Sword and IvlerIin like this

#28 PhantomFO

PhantomFO

• Members
  • 541 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 06:07 PM

I just want another Sensor Jammer expansion, as I will never use a second Lambda.
REBEL: 3 X-Wings, 2 B-Wings, 1 Y-Wing, 1 A-Wing, 1 E-Wing, 2 Z95 Headhunters, 1 YT-1300, 1 HWK-290
IMPERIAL: 5 TIE Fighters, 3 TIE Interceptors, 1 TIE Bomber, 1 TIE Phantom, 1 TIE Defender, 1 TIE Advanced, 1 Lambda, 1 Firespray

#29 Vorpal Sword

Vorpal Sword

O frabjous day!

• Members
  • 2,722 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 07:08 PM

X-wing's only as expensive as it is because we all want to buy every ship, far more than we could field. Imagine how expensive something like Warhammer would be if you tried to get a viable force for every single faction.

Or, worse--what if you wanted to buy enough minis to field not just a viable force, but every viable force? It'll set you back about $1000 at this point, but it's still feasible in X-wing. I wouldn't want to try it with Warmahordes or 40k, though--even if I limited myself to two factions, I'd be in a debtor's prison inside a year.

#30 Millennium Falsehood

Millennium Falsehood

• Members
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 07:22 PM

When I look at posts like this I think about how my current force cost me just under $500. Then I think about my friends who play Magic and have spent well over $3K or the ones who like Warhammer and have spent over $5K and it makes me wonder how anyone who has any experience in other game systems can look at this one and think "Man, this game is too expensive!"

• Baphomet69, oneway and Mace Windu like this

Rebel Alliance: 7 X-wings, 5 Y-wings, 4 A-wings, 1 YT-1300, 2 HWK-290s, 3 B-wings, 1 GR-75, 1 CR-90, 5 Z-95 Headhunters, 1 E-wing

Galactic Empire: 7 TIE Fighters, 1 TIE Advanced, 2 Firespray-31s, 1 Lambda class Shuttle, 3 TIE Bombers, 2 TIE Interceptors, 3 181st TIE interceptors, 3 Royal Guard Interceptors

"Main characters defeat a Star Trek villain? Give 'em a Star Wars celebration!"

#31 Black Knight Leader

Black Knight Leader

• Members
  • 640 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 07:58 PM

OK, you have the basic game and want to expand your number of x wings. You buy one expansion, get a lovely model and some cool new cards and pilots. You buy another expansion, get another sweet model and,...all the same cards you got last time. As most of the pilots are unique you now have a load of duplicate cards you don't need and can't use. If you want a TIE swarm that's gonna be even worse. It should be possible to buy miniatures without the cards.

No offence but "HELL WITH THAT!!!"  I would much rather have seprate card booster packs than minis without cards.

I got 8 reg Interceptors and 7 of each 181st and Royal Interceptors with plans to get another 7 interceptors (one at a time).  Only way to get stealth device is Slave 1.  To have a stealth device for all Interceptors I need 14 slave 1s.

To be fair, with Lt. Blount on the scene, I'm not sure those are wise investments at this point. Hull upgrade is quite a bit better and you have plenty of those. :)

Further, monoculture lists are often rather brittle. It's better to run a varied list to take care of different threats.

He is not that bad, just stay out of his firing arc or blitz him.  Besides he wont win agianst 28 Interceptors even with a instant death ray :)

Ps I didnt buy those those Slave ships just in case you think I did. 

May the Holy Trinity be with you and give you peace.

#32 vyrago

vyrago

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 08:12 PM

GW/40K priced me out of the hobby.  Not to mention to their ever-broken rules and codexes.  (yeah yeah codices)  But X-wing is very affordable.  In many other tabletop wargames there is also terrain to buy/build.  X-wing makes it so simple.  A low model count, light on terrain, balanced wargame.  It doesn't get much better. 

#33 AverageBoss

AverageBoss

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 09:56 PM

When I look at posts like this I think about how my current force cost me just under $500. Then I think about my friends who play Magic and have spent well over $3K or the ones who like Warhammer and have spent over $5K and it makes me wonder how anyone who has any experience in other game systems can look at this one and think "Man, this game is too expensive!"

Thousands on Magic sounds about right for someone who stays in the competitive brackets. New sets are released every 2-3 months and one will need to drop $200-300 to grantee a full play set and keep up with the competition. Also competitive card games cycle out older sets all the time (to push more sales).

On the Warhammer front $5k should easily be 10+ armies and a couple thousand models. This is comparable to 333 X-Wing ships. Once again, you get more with other games (including Warhammer), but you need far less with X-Wing..

Malifaux is probably the closest comparison to X-Wing. Both are small scale skirmish games. You have your start up cost of Basic rules=$15 and deck of playing cards (the game uses a poker deck rather than dice). Starter forces tend to be around $40 and include about 6-7 models. Usually a $20 add on (1-3 models) will get you a tournament force. All models come packaged with their relevant rules, for $8 you can all get a faction rule box which includes the rules for every model in that faction.

They both have similar price points once everything is said, but you get more and varied models with Malifaux. Your X-Wing models are assembled and painted already though. I imagine this and the license contribute to the price point.

#34 EvaUnit02

EvaUnit02

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 10:12 PM

Buying two identical expansions isn't a rip off just because you receive duplicates you might not want. Remove those duplicate uniques and the price of expansions will not drop.

$15 gives you a pre-painted and pre-assembled model, a base, a bunch of cards, and a ton of chits. I'm hard pressed to think of another minis game that gives you more stuff for your dollar.

Edited by EvaUnit02, 08 June 2014 - 10:14 PM.

#35 Rob Jedi

Rob Jedi

• Members
  • 489 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 10:37 PM

I got 8 reg Interceptors and 7 of each 181st and Royal Interceptors with plans to get another 7 interceptors (one at a time).  Only way to get stealth device is Slave 1.  To have a stealth device for all Interceptors I need 14 slave 1s.

Slave 1 comes with 2 stealth device cards not 1

Rob_Jedi's Miniature Painting Blog   My Repaints   Armored Hull YT-1300   Imperial Transport

Rebels: Ax3  Bx3  Ex1  CRx1  GRx1  Hx2  Xx6  Yx3  YTx3  Zx6

Empire: FSx3  LSx1  TAx2  TBx2  TDx2  TFx7  TIx7  TPx1 

#36 Nickotine42

Nickotine42

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 11:11 PM

Seems pretty cheap to me. A guy I met at the lgs was explaining the pricing structure of 40k. He pointed at a box of tanks with a $350 price tag and told me that you still have to buy the guys that go inside. And all the guns those guys need to holding. And that that one tank regiment would be about a fifth of your total army. And it needed to be assembled an painted. That put the roughly $220 I've spent on this game into perspective. I've got everything I need to field competitive squads on both side of the aisle. I feel that honestly it's a great product and I'm a very pleased consumer. I do wish that FFG would release card packs only. But I'm not tempted to stop buying/playing because they don't.

Edited by Nickotine42, 08 June 2014 - 11:12 PM.

• Brigoon likes this

#37 Quendil

Quendil

• Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 11:30 PM

When calculating the cost of any wargame, I always calculate how much you need to pay to be able to play a tournament sized game. This actually means that X-wing is one of the cheapest in existence as you only need the starter set and two more expansions to reach that level and even at its most expensive level (8 Tie Fighters) you are still not paying nearly as much as most other wargames. Of course that doesn't stop us from buying more plastic crack than we actually need, now does it? :D

...and the cost to buy 1 of each is ok.
(to play tournament you need to do this to known the other players rules and tactics)

Cum gladio evaginato!!

#38 RuneSmith

RuneSmith

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 11:55 PM

Thanks for all replies and please don't think I was trying to start some kind of flame war. I also did not mean to suggest the expansions were too expensive, for such high quality and more important to a klutz like me, PAINTED models its fantastic. I also agree that overall its easier and cheaper than most other games to get a decent force. I just seem to see a lot of redundancy present in terms of the cards.

#39 Joe Boss Red Seven

Joe Boss Red Seven

The Laughing Warrior

• Members
  • 2,669 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 12:12 AM

You need the expansions to enjoy this game fully.

"There Is No Such Thing As Luck." BLACK SIX RED SEVEN

STAR WARS is far more than three thirty year old films. FFG intends for X-Wing to thrive, thus it will be more also... PERIOD.

ALLIANCE: [A-WING: 3][B-WING: 3][E-WING: 3][HWK-290: 2][X-WING: 6][Y-WING: 5][Z-95: 6][YT-1300: 1][YT-2400: ] EMPIRE: [TIE ADVANCED: 1][TIE BOMBER: 3][TIE DEFENDER: 3][TIE FIGHTER: 5][TIE INTERCEPTOR: 6][TIE PHANTOM: 3][DECIMATOR: ][FIRESPRAY-31: ][SHUTTLE-LAMBDA: 1] SCUM: [FIRESPRAY-31: 1][HWK-290: 3][IG-2000: ][M3-A: ][STAR VIPER: ][Y-WING: 1][Z-95: ]

#40 DoubleNot7

DoubleNot7

• Members
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 07:02 AM

OP:  NO, things are just fine the way they are.

Nobody is forced to play this game.  You can also play very cheap with minimal ships and have an effective and competitive fleet.

Enimo Et Fide

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS