Are the expansions a bit of a rip off?

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#1 RuneSmith

RuneSmith

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 03:04 PM

OK, you have the basic game and want to expand your number of x wings. You buy one expansion, get a lovely model and some cool new cards and pilots. You buy another expansion, get another sweet model and,...all the same cards you got last time. As most of the pilots are unique you now have a load of duplicate cards you don't need and can't use. If you want a TIE swarm that's gonna be even worse. It should be possible to buy miniatures without the cards.

#2 Vorpal Sword

Vorpal Sword

O frabjous day!

• Members
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 03:07 PM

POPULAR

No.

This has been another edition of Short Answers to Simple Questions. Tune in next time...
  • Damoel, Veldrin, Disgruntled and 68 others like this

#3 MacrossVF1

MacrossVF1

• Members
  • 261 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 03:07 PM

Please don't go there. Buying minis without rules/cards is Games Workshop territory and we can all see how well that is going for them. Besides it is often the cards you want, not the miniature.

• stegocent and admiralcrunch like this

The Alternative Wargamer: http://alternativewa...er.blogspot.se/

Repaints and scratchbuilds: http://alternativewa...ar Wars: X-wing

#4 Thanoseid

Thanoseid

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 03:15 PM

Also with you saying most of the pilots are unique, well buying multiple ships works in your favor. For instance you buy 1 expansion and get 3 unique pilots well you would need to play 3 separate games to try them all out. Buy 3 ships you can play all 3 at once. The bulk of your money invested in this game goes towards the production of the miniatures the cards are like a bonus to the package. Not to mention you also get all of the non-unique cards in the expansions which allow you to play your favorite expensive pilots and a bunch of cheap pilots to go with him/her.

#5 Lagomorphia

Lagomorphia

• Members
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 03:26 PM

OK, you have the basic game and want to expand your number of x wings. You buy one expansion, get a lovely model and some cool new cards and pilots. You buy another expansion, get another sweet model and,...all the same cards you got last time. As most of the pilots are unique you now have a load of duplicate cards you don't need and can't use. If you want a TIE swarm that's gonna be even worse. It should be possible to buy miniatures without the cards.

Cards are dirt cheap to make. The minis really wouldn't be much cheaper without them. If you want to get naked minis though, they go up on eBay every now and again for about the same price as the blister.

• admiralcrunch likes this

#6 AverageBoss

AverageBoss

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 03:34 PM

For the amount of plastic you get, X-Wing is more expensive on a per model basis than most minis games. Its more expensive than Malifaux, Flames of War, Marmachine, and even GW. Comparing X-Wing to GW you get 10 ships plus the rules for only those ships for $150 versus 10-20 models plus a faction rulebook for $85-100 in most cases.

There are two major things to keep in mind though.

1. Unlike all the other games listed above, the X-Wing ships are pre assembled and pre painted (and nicely at that).

2. Aside from Malifaux, those fewer models you get in X-Wing will take you much further towards a tournament level force than the other games. X-Wing tends to top out at 5-8 figures. Aside from corner cases like 9 model Chaos armies and 30 model Ogre armies, 40K armies can easily hit 50-100 models and Fantasy can range anywhere from 10-500 models depending on the army.

So X-Wing expansions ARE expensive compared to others, but you need far less of them and you need to put far less work into them.

Edited by AverageBoss, 08 June 2014 - 03:37 PM.

• Veldrin, Millennium Falsehood and EvilEd209 like this

#7 Caadium

Caadium

• Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 03:37 PM

Having duplicates of the named pilots isn't always a bad thing. My 10-year old daughter plays and likes to go to tournaments. If she and I both want to use the same named pilot we can as long as I've got enough models. 

Hell, as I've introduced players to the game, there have been times that 2 games worth of squads (2 rebel, 2 imperial) were made from my collection. Again, duplicate named pilots are helpful here.

#8 R2ShihTzu

R2ShihTzu

• Members
  • 441 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 03:38 PM

You can get 3 of every ship on both sides for the cost of 1 40k army that will be invalidated by the next codex released. This game is more than a fair value for the price.
  • Eruletho, VanorDM, DailyRich and 15 others like this

#9 Hobojebus

Hobojebus

Tie Defender Ace

• Members
  • 1,542 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 03:39 PM

Dont forget GW stuff comes unpainted so on top of the model you need £10 worth of paint if not more, also you need to glue them so thats another £5 on top of paints and the model itself.

Whats more if your playing 40k a 10 man squad will be 1/20th of your force, but a ship in x-wing can be a 1/4 to a 1/3 when playing 100 points.

To get a tournament swarm list would be £86.32 with a discount from an online site, for 40k your looking at £300ish for a 1k force and easily £1500 for a 2k list.

In a vacuum yes individual ships are pricey but  compared to other games the cost of entry is much lower and you will complete a fleet for alot less money.

#10 madquest8

madquest8

• Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 03:39 PM

The ships are ridiculously expensive, about three times what they should be selling for... alas that is the price we must pay to fund the cost of the licence.

• Forensicus likes this

Rebel:  5 X-Wings, 4 Y-wings, 4 A-Wings, 3 B-Wings, 2 YT1300's, 2 HWK-290's, 2 Transports, 2 Corvette's

3 E-Wings (1 painted Trophy Gold), 4 Z-95's

Imperial:  5 TIE's, 7 TIE/In (inc 4 Aces), 1 TIE Adv, 1 Shuttle, 1 Firespray, 5 TIE Bombers, 2 Phantoms, 2 Defenders

#11 MacrossVF1

MacrossVF1

• Members
  • 261 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 03:42 PM

When calculating the cost of any wargame, I always calculate how much you need to pay to be able to play a tournament sized game. This actually means that X-wing is one of the cheapest in existence as you only need the starter set and two more expansions to reach that level and even at its most expensive level (8 Tie Fighters) you are still not paying nearly as much as most other wargames. Of course that doesn't stop us from buying more plastic crack than we actually need, now does it? :D

• VanorDM, stegocent, winterdyne and 2 others like this

The Alternative Wargamer: http://alternativewa...er.blogspot.se/

Repaints and scratchbuilds: http://alternativewa...ar Wars: X-wing

#12 bubblepopmei

bubblepopmei

• Members
  • 282 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 03:43 PM

I'd like to see more box sets like the Aces. I think it would be cool to do a Black Squad set with Vader and 2 TIE fighters a la A New Hope. It is always nice to get new cards and more ships in one place, but the expansions really open up the game. My game improved when I picked up Core + TIE Fighter. Howlrunner changes TIEs.

• stegocent, Rakky Wistol and gentgeen like this

I'm just an Imperial girl, living in an Imperial world.

Visit my YouTube channel. Comment, like, and subscribe!

#13 Ravncat

Ravncat

• Members
  • 681 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 04:08 PM

I'd like to see more box sets like the Aces. I think it would be cool to do a Black Squad set with Vader and 2 TIE fighters a la A New Hope. It is always nice to get new cards and more ships in one place, but the expansions really open up the game. My game improved when I picked up Core + TIE Fighter. Howlrunner changes TIEs.

As cool as that would be, given we already have black squadron generics, and cadets black squadron wingmen, and darth vader, I highly doubt we will ever see a black squadron box. Who would the new pilots be?

#14 dojimaster

dojimaster

• Members
  • 297 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 04:46 PM

The ships are ridiculously expensive, about three times what they should be selling for... alas that is the price we must pay to fund the cost of the licence.

The ships sell for what the market will bear.  They could price significantly higher and people (not all but most) would still buy them, and withe the higher margin, FFG could make fewer and net the same or more.

Be grateful they didn't set MSRP much higher.

Edited by dojimaster, 08 June 2014 - 04:46 PM.

• Parravon and Captain Lackwit like this

#15 nekomatafuyu

nekomatafuyu

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 04:56 PM

I believe there's a rule of thumb that if a headline asks a question, the answer is "No".

As far as miniatures gaming goes, this is actually the cheapest I've tried yet :)
  • Brigoon likes this

Imperial: 5x TIE/LN, 1x TIE/IN, 3x TIE/sa, 1x TIE/x1, 1x TIE/D, 2x Lambda, 1x Firespray
Rebel: 4x X-Wing, 1x Y-Wing, 2x A-Wing, 1x B-Wing, 1x YT1300

#16 Black Knight Leader

Black Knight Leader

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 05:00 PM

No offence but "HELL WITH THAT!!!"  I would much rather have seprate card booster packs than minis without cards.

I got 8 reg Interceptors and 7 of each 181st and Royal Interceptors with plans to get another 7 interceptors (one at a time).  Only way to get stealth device is Slave 1.  To have a stealth device for all Interceptors I need 14 slave 1s.

• Nickotine42 likes this

May the Holy Trinity be with you and give you peace.

#17 SableGryphon

SableGryphon

Ghostly Void Bison

• Members
  • 1,208 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 05:08 PM

No offence but "HELL WITH THAT!!!"  I would much rather have seprate card booster packs than minis without cards.

I got 8 reg Interceptors and 7 of each 181st and Royal Interceptors with plans to get another 7 interceptors (one at a time).  Only way to get stealth device is Slave 1.  To have a stealth device for all Interceptors I need 14 slave 1s.

To be fair, with Lt. Blount on the scene, I'm not sure those are wise investments at this point. Hull upgrade is quite a bit better and you have plenty of those. :)

Further, monoculture lists are often rather brittle. It's better to run a varied list to take care of different threats.

• Vorpal Sword, stegocent and Dm1012 like this

Come on down to Sable's Shuttle Emporium for all your Alabaster Void Bison needs!

5 TIE Advanced, 6 TIE Bomber, 4 TIE Defender, 10 TIE Fighter, 6 TIE Interceptor, 4 TIE Phantom, 4 Firespray, 5 Lambda, 2 VT-49

7 A-Wing, 7 B-Wing, 3 E-Wing, 7 X-Wing, 4 Y-Wing, 6 Z-95, 4 HWK-290, 2 YT-1300, 2 YT-2400, 2 GR-75, 1 CR-90

#18 Engine25

Engine25

• Members
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 05:10 PM

No.

Just another stuck up, half-witted, scruffy-looking Nerf-Herder bidding you, Fly Casual.

#19 krechevskoy

krechevskoy

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 05:12 PM

Besides it is often the cards you want, not the miniature.

When you said this I immediately thought the chocolate frogs from Harry Potter (movie 1). 

Also with those expansions (just don't buy them high)  buy them below list, and buy in bulk to see if you can get free shipping. 

But cards and the minis are totally worth it, also so is FFG support if something is busted.   They are one of the best. 

• Parakitor likes this

#20 Revanchist

Revanchist

• Members
  • 906 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 05:19 PM

Further, monoculture lists are often rather brittle. It's better to run a varied list to take care of different threats.

Hmm. Somewhere I heard about a couple of monoculture lists doing very well. Something about 5 Gamma Bombers with Seismics. Must just be my imagination ;P
  • s1n, Parakitor, Syleh Forge and 2 others like this
Imperial: 5 TIE/ln, 1 TIE/adv, 5 TIE/in, 1 TIE/sa, 1 Firespray-31, 1 Lambda
Rebel: 3 X-wing, 1 Y-wing, 1 A-wing, 1 B-wing, 1 HWK-290, 1 YT-1300

"History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all."

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS