Manu84

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 01:17 PM

First the Squad:
5* Black Squadron with Predator
1* Nightbeast
100pts

You loose 1Tie Fighter (compared to a Howlrunner Swarm), but get all ships with ps4 (or ps5) and " TL" + Focus vs PS2. Against higher PS you get the normal "Howlrunner Bonus" without the need to fly in formation. So you can fly free and attack from different angles to break the enemy formation.

Any thoughts?

PS: Sorry for my bad english, but i keep learning. ;)
  • TnT and Joe Boss Red Seven like this

#2 UnfairBanana

UnfairBanana

• Members
  • 1,083 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 02:11 PM

It definitely seems good against the inevitable Z-95 swarm.A free reroll, even if it's only two dice, can be powerful indeed. Against high-agility ships it could be problematic, but those are hard to come by in rebel lists. Being able to escape formation is also certainly a plus.
Not to mention, the list isn't as severely hindered by losing one ship. If a Howl list loses Holwrunner, it's definitely lost a lot of its effectiveness. This list avoids that.

And your English is good, don't worry. I had no problem understanding.

Rebels: 3 A-wings, 3 B-wings, 2 E-wing, 4 X-Wings, 2 Y- Wings, 2 Z-95s, 1 HWK-290, 1 YT-1300, 1 GR-75 Space whale, 1 CR-90 Corvette

Empire: 6 TIE/LN, 4 TIE Interceptors, 2 TIE Bombers, 1 TIE Advanced, 2 TIE Defender, 2 TIE Phantom, 2 Firesprays, 1 Lambda

#3 Blail Blerg

Blail Blerg

• Members
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 02:32 PM

Doesn't sound bad

ROLL RED, STAY THIRSTY FRIENDS. 

#4 Lagomorphia

Lagomorphia

• Validating
  • 1,557 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 02:34 PM

That's a hell of a lot of TIE defenders you'll have to buy...

#5 Blail Blerg

Blail Blerg

• Members
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 02:43 PM

This is a problem lol.  

• UnfairBanana likes this

ROLL RED, STAY THIRSTY FRIENDS. 

#6 Manu84

Manu84

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 03:45 PM

I thought Predator is in the E-Wing and Defender blister, but that was Outmaneuver. :D I will try the list in friendly games with printed cards. Buying five defenders is too crazy. ;)

Thanks for the replies.

#7 WonderWAAAGH

WonderWAAAGH

Oasean Ork

• Members
  • 3,346 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 03:51 PM

The horse is still currently being beaten in this thread:

http://community.fan...apex-predators/

I'll quote the most immediately relevant point:

I briefly considered this idea, but in the end it just felt like a bad investment. You're paying 5 points more over an Academy Pilot for a slightly higher PS and some ship autonomy. At 4 BSPs + Predator you've already paid two points more for 5 Academies + Howl, a whole extra ship. Running a mini-swarm in this fashion takes up a considerable chunk of your 100 points, leaving not even enough room for a naked Bounty Hunter. Forget about running a 6 TIE swarm, it won't even fit. For less than a hundred points you can run Howl + ST, Mauler + ST, Backstabber, Dark Curse, and two Academies. That's six ships, two of which fire at PS8, two at PS7, two at PS6, with a considerable amount of their own autonomy via pilot abilities once they split up - and that's still only 95 points.

Edited by WonderWAAAGH, 08 June 2014 - 03:52 PM.

• That One Guy likes this

FFG über alles!

#8 Manu84

Manu84

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 04:12 PM

Thx for the interesting Link!

#9 StevenO

StevenO

• Members
  • 2,107 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 06:31 PM

My thought is that it gives up too much when compared to just running Howlrunner.  I WANT to like the concept but you're paying a lot of points for those upgrades that could be going to another ship.  If you're running a six TIE swarm you need to compare to TIE Ace (all the named TIEs) and if you don't want all those different PS levels you can even compare it to an 866666 swarm led by Howlrunner with Backstabber, Dark Curse (who laughs at Predators), and three BSP with Veteran Instincts.  This last one all shoots before you do and it at a high enough PS that you'd only get one roll anyway.

I may not be sold on Outmaneuver being "better" than Predator on the DSP but I can certainly agree that after equipping a couple adding more brings on diminishing returns.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS