Ion Cannon on Defender in Non-Epic Setting

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 Sithborg

Sithborg

• Members
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 11:34 PM

Except, of course, Predator will only be going on Rexlar or Vessory. Not the Onyx or Delta. Yes, the HLC is a nice option. But, the Ion Cannon is cheaper. It comes down to what you can fit into your squad.

Besides, I love Rexlar handing out a Crit and an Ion token with the Ion Cannon.

#22 That One Guy

That One Guy

• Members
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 11:43 PM

Yeah, you wouldn't be using the Ion Cannon on the Falcon anyway. I don't think anyone is saying otherwise. But against another ship, setting up a turn or two of unanswerable attacks is worth it.

I dunno, if you have a squad for some head games, you could tag it early and I bet you'd see some mighty careful steppin' for most of the match. it might almost be worth it just to make them maneuver on eggshells. (this of course assumes you have asteroids in your game.)

• berusplants likes this

#23 That One Guy

That One Guy

• Members
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 11:44 PM

Except, of course, Predator will only be going on Rexlar or Vessory. Not the Onyx or Delta. Yes, the HLC is a nice option. But, the Ion Cannon is cheaper. It comes down to what you can fit into your squad.

Besides, I love Rexlar handing out a Crit and an Ion token with the Ion Cannon.

I did that once. Ended up double stressing an Ion'd soontir fel. Beautiful.

#24 Damoel

Damoel

• Members
  • 382 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 12:11 AM

And while the HLC will do more damage in a vacuum (rimshot) the Ion can will support and be supported by the rest of the squad, dictating placement, preventing shots, etc.

Fleet timez!

Anarchists: 3 A-Wing, 3 B-Wing, 2 Y-Wing, 6 X-Wing, 3 Z-95, 3 E-Wing, 2 HWK290, 2 YT-1300, 2 GR-75, 1 CR90

Good Guys: 6 TIE/LN, 1 TIE/AD, 3 TIE/D, 6 TIE/IN, 4 TIE/SA, 4 Phantom V38, 2 Lambda Shuttle, 2 Firespray-31

#25 That One Guy

That One Guy

• Members
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 07:33 AM

I also like how Ion shots can really disrupt formation flying. This is not really the case with rebels, unless the entire unit wanted to turn. If you happen to hit the ship on the inside, it really forces the rest of the formation into making bigger turns, something they don't always want because it makes them overshoot. Such has been my experience anyway. But that was back when my Ion cannons were on shuttles who lacked the small base and maneuverability to really capitalize on the trouble.

#26 Red Castle

Red Castle

• Members
  • 808 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 07:47 AM

As pointed before, the Ion cannon is not to be shot each turn, just to set the next ones.

It also has a psychological effect. Your opponent will be very careful about his actions and moves while in your line of sight. If you happen to get him while stressed, you ionize him so next turn he move forward 1 and can't get an action. Ideally, you k-turned behind him for a good shot using your normal attack. Good chance that his next maneuver will be a green, or just ionize him again, so in effect, your opponent has been predictable for two turn in a row, one of those he didn't had any action to help himself.

So, morale of the story, you don't k-turn in front of a Defender with a Ion Cannon.

I'm a french native player so sometimes, some expressions or meanings might be lost in translation. I mean no disrespect.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS