countering the phantom

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 cubby09

cubby09

• Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 09:11 AM

so i had my first experience with the phantom (hyper mobile Echo with navigator)yesterday (thanks Sable!). other than locking it up with ions or stresses it seems like the YT is the only true counter to it.

thoughts?

"I can hold it.....no, I'm alrigh......agghhh!" 

-The Death of Porkins

Imperial 1 Tie advanced, 1interceptor, 1 bomber, 1 firespray, 2 Lambda, 7 ties, 2 aces

Rebel 4 x-wings, 2 y-wings, 3 b-wing, 1 HWK, 2 Falcons, 3 A-wing, GR-75

#2 MacrossVF1

MacrossVF1

• Members
  • 263 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 09:17 AM

Anything with turrets are going to be its nemesis and also any pilot that can shoot before the Phantom while it is decloaked will probably murder it. The Phantom is a true glass cannon.
  • BattlePriest likes this

The Alternative Wargamer: http://alternativewa...er.blogspot.se/

Repaints and scratchbuilds: http://alternativewa...ar Wars: X-wing

#3 Aminar

Aminar

• Members
  • 3,098 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 09:22 AM

Roark Garnett. Set any of your ships to fire before the Phantom. Any ship for the most part that gets the Phantom on Arc will get to shoot at it before it recloaks.
The Hawk's general accuracy boosting abilities on Kyle and Jan can be helpful as well.
Firesprays are good options as well, especially a Vet Instincts Fettigator can be hard to dodge, and gets to shoot before the recloak.

#4 Cubanboy

Cubanboy

Pending Forum Submission

• Members
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 09:29 AM

Ion pulse missiles.
I have ships,
Pew Pew Pew

#5 Disgruntled

Disgruntled

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 09:30 AM

Roark Garnett. Set any of your ships to fire before the Phantom. Any ship for the most part that gets the Phantom on Arc will get to shoot at it before it recloaks.
The Hawk's general accuracy boosting abilities on Kyle and Jan can be helpful as well.
Firesprays are good options as well, especially a Vet Instincts Fettigator can be hard to dodge, and gets to shoot before the recloak.

Roark is a triple threat to Phantoms: turret, ion, and max pilot skill.

• Aminar and ObiWonka like this

#6 negative9

negative9

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 09:38 AM

ten numb, vi. advanced sensor.

#7 Aminar

Aminar

• Members
  • 3,098 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 09:40 AM

Interesting. I think it's a little expensive, and will have trouble getting the crits to be undodgeable though. That and it encourages evade action, which makes things easier on you, but still leaves them at an advantage.

#8 Sonikgav

Sonikgav

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 09:43 AM

Yeah were going to be seeing alot of VI being used i think.

• Aminar likes this

Current Fleet

Republic - 2 X-Wings, 2 Y-Wings, 4 B-Wings, 3 A-Wings, 1 YT-1300

Imperial - 2 Tie Phantoms, 3 Tie Interceptors, 1 Tie Defender, 1 Lambda-Class Shuttle

#9 overdesigned

overdesigned

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 09:44 AM

Ion pulse missiles.

More specifically, Lt. Blount with Ion Pulse Missiles.  They'll always hit, instant-ion, and knock a shield off.  At that point he's really vulnerable.

I like flying Echo a *lot* and even with Veteran Instincts he's only PS8, so Han Solo is going to be a good counter as well.  Ditto for Roark.  Even Whisper + VI can be countered by them.  A good Phantom pilot will have to be really judicious in engaging anybody that's higher PS and turreted.

#10 Aminar

Aminar

• Members
  • 3,098 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 09:44 AM

Yeah were going to be seeing alot of VI being used i think.

Good point that. Vet instincts may be the best counter. At least combined with boost and Barrel Roll.

#11 cubby09

cubby09

• Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 11:14 AM

ten numb got wrecked by echo with navigator

"I can hold it.....no, I'm alrigh......agghhh!" 

-The Death of Porkins

Imperial 1 Tie advanced, 1interceptor, 1 bomber, 1 firespray, 2 Lambda, 7 ties, 2 aces

Rebel 4 x-wings, 2 y-wings, 3 b-wing, 1 HWK, 2 Falcons, 3 A-wing, GR-75

#12 Englishpete

Englishpete

• Members
  • 1,829 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 01:04 PM

In tourney games the Phantom is going to suffer from thinking time. My mate took it yesterday against me. I had 2 Firesprays in my list and it is still almost impossible to get in arc. What I did was shoot up the rest of his squad and because of the time needed to think Echo's moves out, I took a full win without shooting at him. The trick is to project threat against Phantoms as most people will try and avoid being shot at.
I then watched another friend fly Echo aggressively and Han and friends tore him up. The named Phantoms are close to being OP, they are simply uncatchable if flown with caution. That being said, just wreck the rest of the squad and then work the Phantom.

To every man upon this Earth Death cometh soon or late. And how can a man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers, and the temples of his Gods?
(Horatius: Captain of the Gate)

#13 DraconPyrothayan

DraconPyrothayan

• Members
  • 2,835 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 01:18 PM

Proton Bombs. Nothing says "Hard Counter" like slightly more than a 7/33 chance of 1-shotting your ship, outside of combat, while it's at full health.

True, you need a higher PS than the Phantom to use them properly, but the Phantom will spend most of its time terrified of your back-end anyway, and the way that will effect their flightpath will certainly alter their playstyle.

#14 Aminar

Aminar

• Members
  • 3,098 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 01:21 PM

In tourney games the Phantom is going to suffer from thinking time. My mate took it yesterday against me. I had 2 Firesprays in my list and it is still almost impossible to get in arc. What I did was shoot up the rest of his squad and because of the time needed to think Echo's moves out, I took a full win without shooting at him. The trick is to project threat against Phantoms as most people will try and avoid being shot at.
I then watched another friend fly Echo aggressively and Han and friends tore him up. The named Phantoms are close to being OP, they are simply uncatchable if flown with caution. That being said, just wreck the rest of the squad and then work the Phantom.

Thinking time is a very subjective thing. No matter what squad I fly, unless I have 3 or more ships more than my opponent I take less time than they do, unless they're a particularly fast player. Even with a Phantom it shouldn't be hard to know what to do quickly. It's one more decision, less than deciding what to do with 3 ties.

#15 Gundog8324

Gundog8324

• Members
  • 790 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 09:35 PM

The named Phantoms are close to being OP, they are simply uncatchable if flown with caution. That being said, just wreck the rest of the squad and then work the Phantom.

I think the opposite is true(about kill priority), Leaving a named Phantom for last, unless it is a timed match that is about to be called due to time elapsing and you are just trying to get points.  I do not think there is a single small ship, that wants to try to go against a Phantom when they are the last 2 remaining (Even Soontir Fel as I learned last night)

#16 That One Guy

That One Guy

• Members
  • 1,521 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 09:41 PM

Also, once players get more used to how they fly, their planning times will decrease.

#17 Englishpete

Englishpete

• Members
  • 1,829 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 07:00 AM

Ignoring the subjective concept of thinking time for a moment. You are left with two choices with the Phantom in the opponents squad.

1. If you do not have turrets, you can dedicate your squad to chasing it about and probably get very little reward whilst he gets good position with all his squad.

2. You can kill the rest of his squad and then go Phantom hunting.

My preference right now is wreck the rest of his squad.

(Two Phantoms in a squad is going to be a problem)

Edited by Englishpete, 09 June 2014 - 07:02 AM.

To every man upon this Earth Death cometh soon or late. And how can a man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers, and the temples of his Gods?
(Horatius: Captain of the Gate)

#18 Krynn007

Krynn007

Shinigami

• Members
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 08:06 AM

Keep in mind not everyone will fly it the same way as your buddy.
I can have my dials set and ready while my opponent,with 3-4 ships is still thinking.
As for dealing with turrets.
Flying with Echo does make it easier to stay at range 2-3.
If people are going to joust a Phantom and a Falcon, well then they deserve to lose
Edit
Going after my other ships is exactly what I want you to do. Ya they may take dmg, but if you plan ahead, view the path in the board, see what your opponent is up to, it is not always going to be so easy.
Then you have a Phantom coming from behind.

So far any games I've played my opponent goes after my other non Phantom ships. While he does kill some, (plus they are hurting him a well) I've taken out 2-3 ships with the Phantom.
Leaving it for last seems like a bad idea

Edited by Krynn007, 09 June 2014 - 08:28 AM.

Rebels4 xwing, 2 awings, 2 bwings,1 ywing, 1 Falcon, 1hwk, 1 ewing, 2 z95, 1 transport, 1 Tantive,
Imperials
6 tie/ft, 2 squints, 1 aces, 4 bombers, 1 tie adv, 1 shuttle, 2 Firespray, 2 phantom, 1 tie defender

#19 Osoroshii

Osoroshii

龍神

• Members
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 08:38 AM

yeah, lets take a ship a ship with one evade die and match it up Vs a ship with 4 Attack die.........that will solve the problem!

#20 Aminar

Aminar

• Members
  • 3,098 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 08:42 AM

yeah, lets take a ship a ship with one evade die and match it up Vs a ship with 4 Attack die.........that will solve the problem!
Given the fact the Falcon is a great option, maybe. But Ten isn't likely to be the answer for other reasons.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS