• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 c08

c08

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 05:06 AM

Rear Guard (THoEM74)

Quest Action: Discard a Leadership ally to give each hero committed to this quest +1 Willpower until the end of the phase.

I've encountered around the network opinions that Leadership ally can be discarded from player hand as well as that it can only be an ally which was already in play.

If ally could be discarded from player hand this card would be quite useful in some decks.

Question is, can it be discarded from player hand?

#2 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,835 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 09:23 AM

im pretty sure it has to be from play, but I would wait for conformation on this

Rich

My Deviantart profile. Infrared Art http://richsabre.deviantart.com/

My Portfolio http://richardbyers.portfoliobox.me/

#3 c08

c08

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 01:51 PM

I've searched through FAQ and rules and I haven't found anything yet, that would solve this.

Instead I found card with similar effect.

Ride to Ruin (THoEM78)

Action: Discard a Rohan ally to choose a location. Place 3 progress tokens on that location.

While I was looking through event cards all other effects written on text box pointed exactly what should be discarded or from where it should be discarded.

If this type of effect affect player hand, there are more cards that could be used that way.

In this case cards mentioned below should be put in player area than other copy in player hand could be discarded when Action was triggerd.

Westfold Outrider (TVoI6)

Action: Discard Westfold Outrider to choose an enemy not engaged with you. Engage the
chosen enemy.

or

Westfold Horse-Breaker (THfG6)

Action: Discard Westfold Horse-Breaker to choose and ready a hero.

In this case Westfold Horse-Breaker who is in play discards Westfold Horse-Breaker that is in player hand and effect is triggered.

Edited by c08, 08 June 2014 - 01:53 PM.

#4 Mndela

Mndela

• Members
  • 920 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 02:21 PM

I think if it doesnt say anything specific like 'encounter deck', 'player deck', 'hand', etc..., it means 'discard from play'

A wizard is never late..., he arrives precisely when it is the last round

#5 GrandSpleen

GrandSpleen

• Members
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 08:48 PM

It's in the manual, under "Paying Costs" near the back of the book: "Costs can only be payed with cards or resources that a
player controls."  Discarding an ally is the "cost" of Rear Guard.  You aren't considered to "control" a card that is in your hand.  

That last bit about the 'control' concept is not well explained in the manual, but it's true... cards like the Thorin hero or Gloin ally only work when you control 5 dwarves, and that means having them on the table, not just in your hand.

• richsabre and PsychoRocka like this

#6 c08

c08

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 02:24 AM

Thanks.

I was browsing FAQ and rulebook with words like "discard" "target" etc.

#7 Nerdmeister

Nerdmeister

• Members
  • 670 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 03:14 AM

Also in regards to the point about westfold outrider and westfold horse-breaker:

Even if you could argue that it could be discarded from hand a cards text is only active as long as it is in-play.

Which is why Beorn can be brought back to the table with "Fortune or Fate" and Landroval.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS