Photo

Which is the better support ship? Kyle, Garven, Roark or Dutch?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Captain_Arrr

Captain_Arrr

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 11:28 PM

I am working on a Regionals list and I want to throw in some support. I have used Dutch and Garven together, but Garven may not be conducive to my style. He has to use the token to pass it and it left me with little chance to pass the token in som games. I like Kyle`s ability but he can get expensive kitted out right. Roark may be a good cheap alternative. Dutch is an excellent pilot but I feel the rebels have too many good ways to pass out Target locks.

Any thoughts?

#2 dvor

dvor

• Members
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 11:31 PM

I have used Dutch and Garven together, but Garven may not be conducive to my style. He has to use the token to pass it and it left me with little chance to pass the token in som games.

All Garven needs to do is attack someone. Are you saying you got little chance to attack with Garven?

X-wing is played over a series of game rounds. Turn is a type of maneuver.

#3 WonderWAAAGH

WonderWAAAGH

Oasean Ork

• Members
  • 3,475 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 11:33 PM

Dutch. Always Dutch.
  • Stone37 and berusplants like this
It's not easy being green.

#4 Revanchist

Revanchist

• Members
  • 1,094 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 11:42 PM

Ooh you know what would be fun? Running Ion Cannon Dutch with Blaster Turret Kyle. Then throw Wes in there and give Kyle Opportunist.
Imperial: 5 TIE/ln, 1 TIE/adv, 5 TIE/in, 1 TIE/sa, 2 TIE/d, 1 TIE/ph, 1 Firespray-31, 1 Lambda
Rebel: 3 X-wing, 1 Y-wing, 2 A-wing, 2 B-wing, 1 E-wing, 2 Z-95, 1 HWK-290, 1 YT-1300

"History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all."

#5 Haggis McHaggis

Haggis McHaggis

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 11:44 PM

I think you don't even need to attack with Garven. You just say you are spending the token an pass it off
Biggs: 60% of the time! He explodes every time.

#6 dvor

dvor

• Members
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 11:46 PM

I think you don't even need to attack with Garven. You just say you are spending the token an pass it off

No. That does not work. You got to have something to spend it on.

X-wing is played over a series of game rounds. Turn is a type of maneuver.

#7 Clayjar

Clayjar

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 11:46 PM

Garven (and anyone for that matter) can use a focus token even if no eyeballs come up on the die rolls. It is just wasted for other ships to do that, but for Garvin he can pass his spent token to someone else.

• Stone37 likes this

#8 Stone37

Stone37

• Members
  • 903 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 11:56 PM

Dutch. Always Dutch.

Because the best defense is a good offense, and TLs make for the best offense.
  • berusplants likes this

#9 Wraithdt

Wraithdt

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 02:46 AM

No. That does not work. You got to have something to spend it on.

Though Garven can spend focus tokens even without rolling any eyes, he still needs to be attacking or defending to be able to pass the tokens.

#10 Rakky Wistol

Rakky Wistol

The Grey

• Members
  • 2,884 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 04:12 AM

I've been on team Roark for awhile. Roark + blaster+ recon is tough, packs a punch, and wins the PS war.

#11 PS10

PS10

• Members
  • 232 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 04:28 AM

I like Roark for his cheap cost and long ranged ability. When you play with Biggs he keeps him longer alive. Due to more ships you should be able to destroy before they have a chance to shoot at Biggs.

I do not believe in upgrading him too much or having an expensive support ship for that matter. Just slap on a Ion turret for more board control and you're good to go.

Arvel Crynyd - "AAAAaaaahHHHH!"

Green Squadron

#12 Aminar

Aminar

• Members
  • 3,110 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 07:14 AM

Depends. Against Phantoms, Roark. Reliability wise, Garven. In epic Kyle(because Turret). Dutch is great with ordnance users and the Tantive. So base it on your build.

#13 Skargoth

Skargoth

• Members
  • 716 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 07:18 AM

Cracken!
  • Haggis McHaggis likes this

You don't need to strip your miniatures, painting over is fine. No, there should not be a fourth faction, three is the magic number for countering flavor lists and to break up faction distribution. Someone else has likely thought up and posted your amazing new build, so you don't need to stroke your ego when reposting it. The prequels sucked and so would a game based on it. YES, there should be a Custom Forum for terrain and repaints! Moving on...

#14 Nickotine42

Nickotine42

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 07:53 AM

Based on some FB post made by Ffg I'm not certain wave 4 will be regional eligible. At least not next weekends in MN

That being said I like turrets and especially ions. I used to have Roark in that spot but went with Dutch for the alpha event. The extra hp is what swayed my decision.

Edited by Nickotine42, 08 June 2014 - 07:58 AM.

#15 Khyros

Khyros

Advocate of A & E Wings Everywhere

• Members
  • 2,176 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 09:42 AM

Link to said FB post?  I would hope FFG puts W4 on the ban list, but seeing as they didn't put han/leia/c3po/r2d2 from the tantive on the ban list... I'm not sure they will.  

Furthermore, it'll clear up (for those that are confused) that han/leia/c3po/r2d2 are indeed LEGAL right now because they're not on the ban list.  Some people think that because the rules put in parentheses of an example of when something could get banned (dropping in the middle of the season) that it means that everything that drops in the middle of the season is banned...

When it clearly says only the things on the ban list (which doesn't exist right now) are banned.

• Mace Windu likes this

The fleet:  

Spoiler

#16 Red Castle

Red Castle

• Members
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 09:46 AM

Good Ol'Dutch... combine with a Ion turret for bonus control.

old-dutch-logo.png

I'm a french native player so sometimes, some expressions or meanings might be lost in translation. I mean no disrespect.

#17 Nickotine42

Nickotine42

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 10:11 AM

Link to said FB post?  I would hope FFG puts W4 on the ban list, but seeing as they didn't put han/leia/c3po/r2d2 from the tantive on the ban list... I'm not sure they will.  

Furthermore, it'll clear up (for those that are confused) that han/leia/c3po/r2d2 are indeed LEGAL right now because they're not on the ban list.  Some people think that because the rules put in parentheses of an example of when something could get banned (dropping in the middle of the season) that it means that everything that drops in the middle of the season is banned...
When it clearly says only the things on the ban list (which doesn't exist right now) are banned.

https://www.facebook...n_mall_activity

It's in the comments section.
  • Khyros likes this

#18 TheOriginalOuterRimSmug

TheOriginalOuterRimSmug

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 10:59 AM

Cracken!

Cracken with squad leader   give out two action per turn

#19 failedparachute

failedparachute

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 11:59 AM

I personally like Jan as a support ship for some of my high PS ships, if I'm taking a support oriented ship. Most of the time I don't though. That being said I've seen Dutch and Garven used to great effect, especially in tandem. And on top of that, Roark paired with a high PS ship with Swarm Tactics can be a real winner as far as shooting first goes, plus he can be a decently cheap Ion platform.

It mostly depends what you want and what you value. What's the rest of the list look like?

Edited by failedparachute, 08 June 2014 - 12:00 PM.

Rebel Fleet:

Spoiler

Imperial Fleet:

Spoiler

#20 DraconPyrothayan

DraconPyrothayan

• Members
  • 3,577 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 01:12 PM

Note: You can spend a Focus Token or a Target Lock to modify 0 dice if you wish. This is handy with Garven and other ships that gain bonuses when using actions.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS