• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Kilazar

Kilazar

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 10:35 PM

Title says it all.

Reading the sets in balance, it seems that several of the sets have dead cards in regards to 1v1.

Are any of the sets actually viable in a 1v1 deck?

#2 The Gas

The Gas

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 12:37 AM

Thunderflare, Obi-Wan and Blue Squadron all see frequent use in my area's meta.  Dash can be a decent addition to a sleuth deck, but he's a bit more rare to see.  Mara and the Scum pod are pretty much unheard of.

Edited by The Gas, 08 June 2014 - 12:40 AM.

#3 zombieearl

zombieearl

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 06:53 AM

The scim ppde sees alot of play in my area. The objective let's you throw down a instant blocker. The security teams are awsome the capture card is great for edge battles. Very playable. I think the only one that isn't is the Sith one. The Dash one is almost out, not because it isn't usable, but there is just so much better spies and smugglers pods.

#4 Kilazar

Kilazar

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 07:35 AM

So the "Other friendly player", and "common deploy" cards are just dead if you use those pods? How about the fate cards?

Edited by Kilazar, 08 June 2014 - 07:37 AM.

#5 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,304 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 07:45 AM

The fate cards don't say "other friendly player" so you can use them on yourself (you are a friendly player).  The only completely useless cards are the Jedi and Sith objectives.  The B-Wings and Agents of the Hand lose their game text, but the B-Wings still end up being good cards.  The Agents of the Hand are overpriced enough for a blank card in 1v1 that it generally keeps people from running the set as a whole, though Mara and Join Me are both good cards in 1v1.

Edited by dbmeboy, 08 June 2014 - 08:19 AM.

#6 Nosilloc

Nosilloc

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 08:09 AM

The only completely useless cards are the Jedi and Scum objectives. 

Jedi and Sith. And just the objectives not the whole sets.

Honestly I have thought about using or seen all of them used at one point or another.

#7 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,304 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 08:18 AM

Thanks for the catch, I apparently shouldn't type this early in the morning, will go fix now (what you haven't seen is how many typos I've fixed even typing up this...) :)

#8 See Threebilbo

See Threebilbo

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 04:31 PM

Thanks for the catch, I apparently shouldn't type this early in the morning, will go fix now (what you haven't seen is how many typos I've fixed even typing up this...) :)

Now you're just making me imagine it, and it's really scary. :P

#9 MasterJediAdam

MasterJediAdam

• Members
  • 662 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 07:20 PM

At one point or another, I have seen all of the sets see play. Admittedly, the least played of them is the Sith set. 

The Fate card is actually pretty neat. Especially when you want to win the edge but do not want to over edge, it is a way to bluff your way into an edge win.

Welcome to the machine!

#10 See Threebilbo

See Threebilbo

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 10:24 AM

I agree.  The Fate card is very handy.

#11 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,304 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 10:40 AM

The fate card is also great Twist of Fate insurance when you're holding a great edge card (eg Yoda or Palpatine).  It then wins any one card vs one card edge battle... if they twist you still have your big card for the next edge battle, if they played a 5-icon card you can toss yours in and have 6, if they also played supporting fire you are at worst tied.  Honestly though, I've tended to find it less useful in practice than it looks on paper, but on the instances where it is useful it can be great.

• KennedyHawk likes this

#12 KennedyHawk

KennedyHawk

• Members
  • 230 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 10:01 PM

The fate card is also great Twist of Fate insurance when you're holding a great edge card (eg Yoda or Palpatine).  It then wins any one card vs one card edge battle... if they twist you still have your big card for the next edge battle, if they played a 5-icon card you can toss yours in and have 6, if they also played supporting fire you are at worst tied.  Honestly though, I've tended to find it less useful in practice than it looks on paper, but on the instances where it is useful it can be great.

Same here, there are so many times if that card had two force icons instead of one it would allow me to play something and win the edge.

To the OP almost all the sets see play, the least is Mara.

Scum

-Awesome edge card in the event and can remove that critical unit.

-Those Tradoshans can strike anytime on defense, so use this to your advantadge vs sleuths etc.

-You can use he objective to drop in key units like Zuckuss or Boba when your opponent thinks you have no defense (or offense) left.

Navy

The objective itself is really useful for keeping those "while undamaged objectives up and running, two resource weenies, thunder flare can one shot Chewy/Dash, anything with that power is useful, the blast enhancement can make a lot of ships into one-shot wonders, death squadrons, @@ formations, even tallon-rolled tie fighters become formidable. You can use it on any ship as well, so Jabba's sail barge can have three blast, or the various scum/sith Ships.

Sith

-Mare is a great unit but this is the one I struggle with the most. Join me can work great on a Shifty look out of freeholder but other than that this set isn't the best.

Jedi

-This obi-wan is the king of recursion. Using him with Jedi mind trick or force rejuvenation is amazing.

-The wolfmen are great units, better when they are free, compare them to rebel commandos and you'll see a free wolfman a lot more often. They work well with Kyle and now Gamor run!

-Force cleansing is a great enhancement for any Jedi main, Yoda will benefit and it'll allow you to commit Luke early and still bring him back on your opponents turn. My favorite unit for this is Chewbacca!

Smugglers

-Dashes set is another lack luster one. Just like mara his other counterpart is so much better. It sees play more than Mara though. The unit damage ability is rarely used but the objective text itself is great, especially in a sleuth deck. The Arcona can be great for some free damage if you catch your opponent off guard.

Rebels

-The  B-wings are the king of rebel weenie vehicle blast damage. Add to that a rapid fire and an objective that helps you search for key rebel combo cards and you are good to go!

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS