will this be a good rebel fleet?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Flyingbrick

Flyingbrick

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 10:03 PM

Ok been stuck on this one build or a variation of it any input would be good, ty.

Horton salm + ion cannon turrent+ shield upgrade.

Dagger squad pilot.

2x Red squad pilots.

#2 Sekac

Sekac

• Members
  • 426 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 10:15 PM

Try as I might, I just don't like Horton Salm. His ability doesn't synergize with Ion cannons because it doesn't reach range 3. His high PS doesn't synergize with them either since having your ion shoot first is the least effective way to use it (the targets all still have tokens for defense).

Basically he's expensive and doesn't really synergize with anything but proton torpedos which make him even more expensive.

I'd drop him down to a gray with an ion and give your dagger advanced sensors. Everyone would be moving and firing at the same PS so you have complete control of the order of things. You'd still have 6 points to play with too!

#3 DraconPyrothayan

DraconPyrothayan

• Members
  • 2,835 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 10:29 PM

Ok been stuck on this one build or a variation of it any input would be good, ty.

Horton salm + ion cannon turrent+ shield upgrade.

Dagger squad pilot.

2x Red squad pilots.

I would first lose the Shield Upgrade. 1 HP isn't worth 4 points, particularly when you have so many useful slots still open.

In this case, I would split it in half, giving Horton R3-A2, and either giving the Dagger a FCS or giving the X-Wings an R2 Astromech.

R3-A2 meshes very well with the Ion Cannon Turret.
IF they're in R 1-2 and in your Firing arc, 
You stress them and Ionize them in the same turn.
The next turn, they do a white forward, and you do a green forward, and stress them again.
Continue keeping the ship paralyzed with Ions while the rest of your fleet swoops in for the kill.

But yes, Demotions all around might suit you better. If you can get Dutch Vander in your fleet alongside Garven Dreis, there is very little you can do to make it a bad fleet, particularly if you keep 2 extra ships with 3 attack in there.

#4 Nickotine42

Nickotine42

• Members
  • 255 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 10:55 PM

Be careful. That r3a2 mech requires them to be inside your primary firing arc. Not the 360 the turret provides. Makes those y's a little more predictable, but not game breaking.

All that being said and not knowing what you have. I'd go

Dutch plus ion
Garven
Blue with fcs or adv sensor if you have it
Rookie.

99 or 100 depending on system upgrade. Could always slap either r2 or r5 on Dutch depending on if you value maneuverability over a chance at negating damage.

Edited by Nickotine42, 07 June 2014 - 11:00 PM.

• berusplants likes this

#5 LordVogl

LordVogl

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 09:47 AM

Horton is a boss, but you need to use him as he is intended. I went to the final table at imdaar alpha running:

38 Horton + 2 protons + ion

28 Garvin + r2d6 + VI

34 Ten Numb + advanced sensors

Garvin passing a focus and Horton's ability virtually guarantees 4 hits with a proton. I like that every ship has ps8, but you could turn Numb into 2 proto a-wings is you MUST run 4 ships.

After playing this list, I think I would put a blaster turret on on Salm instead of the ion and bump up the damage output a bit. Shuffle the build anyway that suits you. As long as you get a focus passed to Horton, he is a beast lobbing torps at ships.

#6 DraconPyrothayan

DraconPyrothayan

• Members
  • 2,835 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 01:36 PM

Kyle on his own works with Horton quite well.

Garven + VI/Decoy works with Horton.

Garven on his own works with Horton if Horton has Swarm Tactics.

Indeed, any lvl 8+ pilot with Swarm, or any 6- pilot with Decoy would let the pair work together.

#7 Knucklesamwich

Knucklesamwich

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 05:38 PM

XXBY is my favorite rebel list. I usually run either Garven and Dutch together or Wedge and a Gold squad. I too have tried to find a good fit for Salm and I think it's going to be with cheaper torps since he is so costly. Let us know how it works.
  • IronTau likes this

#8 IronTau

IronTau

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 01:52 AM

XXBY is my favorite as well. I find Dutch Vander to be an excellent support ship. My most successful tournament list is Dutch (with Ion), Wedge, Rookie, Blue. 

• berusplants likes this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS