First time GM question

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 Lady Kataline Jianwei

Lady Kataline Jianwei

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 09:33 PM

Hi guys. The gaming group I'm in has this little tradition where everyone in it has GM at least once even if it was just a premade that they ran. Now my sister and I have been in the group for 3 years now and neither of us have GM nor been asked to. The reason is because we started playing Pen and Paper RPGs in college where as everyone else in our group started out when they were teens.

Still, with 3 years of play experience I think I can bumble my way through a written adventure. So my question to you guys is which is easier/more manageable to GM for a newbie; Lure of the Expanse or The Frozen Reaches of the Warpstorm Trilogy?

In both cases I plan on having the party be agents of our existing RT campaign, just to explain why they have X amount of resources available to them and why they aren't at level 1.

I say which of those two because no one in our group has ever run those so it would be new and hopefully fun for all. Thanks in advance.

"Defeat? Genocide? Why quibble with semantics?"

#2 Erathia

Erathia

• Members
  • 650 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 11:48 PM

I would vote for Lure of the Expanse. i quite like Frozen Reaches, but Lure of the Expanse is just such a well constructed adventure, with lots of fun characters and hooks for your characters to look into.

The problem with both adventures is they probably won't be done-in-one, and Lure of the Expanse tends to go on for awhile, though it'll be easy enough to stop at various points during it.

For a first adventure with people who are agents of a Rogue Trader, have you done the Egaria Omega dig from Edge of the Abyss?

Citizens of Grace! We have defeated both the Dark Eldar and Ork menaces that threatened your system! We need no thanks nor payments, so long as you do not leave the atmosphere during our salvage operations under pain of death! - Jequin Hos of The Hos Dynasty

#3 Lady Kataline Jianwei

Lady Kataline Jianwei

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 12:51 AM

In the current game that I am the RT in, we did the Maw from the Core book immediately followed by Edge of the Abyss adventure. We even managed to convince Selene Zpha to come be our colonial governess of our first colony. She spent a good while sifting through archeotech and xenotech (eldar).

I also had a chat with my gaming group and it turns out that LotE is coming up for us so I'll steer clear of that and look at Frozen Reaches instead. Once I figure out roll20 that is. 

#4 Errant Knight

Errant Knight

• Members
  • 284 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 01:30 AM

For a first-time GM, I'd heartily recommend the Yu'Vath adventures, unless your players have seen them, of course.  They mesh well with darkity-dark and also go hand-in-hand with Edge of the Abyss.

But, if you're going with either Lure of the Expanse or Frozen Reaches, I'd go Frozen Reaches.  Lure of the Expanse is practically a campaign module.  You have a minimum 6 adventures, and a maximum 9.  Frozen Reaches has politics, intrigue, treason, war...and it's a great story.  Lure of the Expanse is quite the railroad ride.  The only problem with Frozen Reaches is that some of its astrophysics are just downright stupid, but that's easily fixed, and the fixes even make for a better story.

Also, there's a substantive reward from Frozen Reaches.  Lure will leave your players quite frustrated after the railroad trip, unless you let them have the battleship, in which case the next GM will be frustrated.

#5 Tenebrae

Tenebrae

• Members
  • 911 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 03:01 AM

Frozen Reaches is an awesome story.

Only really 2 problems with it.

1) The astrophysics are (as mentioened) messed up, but since they aren't important, just scenery, it's easy to fix.

2) The awesome mass battle system was written specifically for that book and not used anywhere else. So players may be disappointed if they try to do large scale battles again, and expect to use that simple system.

Don't bother with the rest of the Warp Storm series - nowhere near as interesting.

• Nameless2all and Iku Rex like this

#6 Nameless2all

Nameless2all

• Members
  • 713 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 05:16 AM

Incase something happens, and you can't GM the two you mentioned, there are also adventures from the FFG Support Forum.  They are:

Fall from Grace
A Throne Forged of Iron
The Glass Key

Introduction Adventures

Forsaken Bounty

Dark Frontier

And an add on to Lure of the Expanse

Traitor's Nexus

Back on Topic

I've GMed Lure of the Expanse, and it was a blast.  Like other people mentioned though, the PC's can easily be distracted by the side adventures (or making their own side adventures).  The key is to remind them of the "big prize" at the end and it's a race to get their first.  Having the various NPC's RT's show up around the same time the PC's do, surprises/mementoes/fresh dead bodies being left, and/or vox hails/astropath messages being transmitted in their vicinity gets the point across with little fuss. 

Haven't ran Frozen Reaches, but from what I've read on the various posts on it, it appears to be a much more streamlined and rewarding adventure.  Less major distractions.  I do believe for a beginning GM this would be the easier adventure for you or your sister.  You only have to worry about one major adventure in FR, instead of 6-10+ minor adventures (which could turn into MAJOR ones because of PC's having fun) from LotE.

SoI and NP didn't come out till after these adventures, so times of warp travel and movements in system changes slightly (or possibly drastically if using NP, which I don't own so can't truly comment).  So, once again Frozen Reaches would be easier in this aspect as you are only going to and from one destination.

• Cobra Commander and Lady Kataline Jianwei like this

For a collection of fan created material, please refer to the link below. Some of it was edited/created by myself and friends, while most is other fan material. Happy gaming people.https://drive.google.com<p>-"May your endeavors always be prosperous, though they may not always be profitable."

#7 Lady Kataline Jianwei

Lady Kataline Jianwei

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 01:45 PM

Thanks for all the replies and an extra thanks to Nameless2all for all the links.

• Nameless2all likes this

#8 Lady Kataline Jianwei

Lady Kataline Jianwei

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 01:51 PM

Thanks for all the replies and an extra thanks to Nameless2all for all the links.

#9 Marwynn

Marwynn

• Members
  • 325 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 08:42 PM

For what it's worth, we enjoyed The Frozen Reaches so much we tried to recreate it on Vaporious with bloodier results. It really is a well done adventure and introduces very classic 40k elements.

The Gathering Strom  - A Chronicle of Intrigue, Space Battles, Planetary Invasions, and Dinner Parties

The Blessed Enterprise - Flagship of the Strom Dynasty / Reception Hall

#10 Errant Knight

Errant Knight

• Members
  • 284 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 09:32 PM

There's another problem with Lure...miloslav engines.  If you run your ships at the speed of plot then no worries, as long as your players are okay with that.  If you use actual travel times then absolutely nothing happens the way the adventure suggests it might because your party will already have been there first.

#11 Errant

Errant

• Members
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 10:42 PM

I got around that by justifying that the other Rogue Traders had been active in the Expanse for longer, and had warp-routes that went further, faster. But yeah, per RAW, players with a miloslav or a runecaster will just butcher races through the Warp.

#12 Nameless2all

Nameless2all

• Members
  • 713 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 04:36 AM

I got around that by justifying that the other Rogue Traders had been active in the Expanse for longer, and had warp-routes that went further, faster. But yeah, per RAW, players with a miloslav or a runecaster will just butcher races through the Warp.

That is a splendid idea!!!  Makes complete sense too.  Not all warp routes to a location would be the same (especially in the Expanse), and the ones the NPC's know could get them there faster.  Consider your idea stolen.  :D

For a collection of fan created material, please refer to the link below. Some of it was edited/created by myself and friends, while most is other fan material. Happy gaming people.https://drive.google.com<p>-"May your endeavors always be prosperous, though they may not always be profitable."

#13 Magellan

Magellan

• Members
  • 431 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 06:24 AM

Wow, talk about devaluing speed-enhancing equipment.

FFG's adventure paths are crap. News at eleven.

The Magos says he has no crude emotions to control

Just an iron fist, an iron will and an iron-banded soul

#14 Errant

Errant

• Members
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 06:49 AM

I had three options. Remove the other Rogue Traders as opposition after the first third of the adventure, rebuild their ships to be equivalent to the players and tacitly approve of the PCs ship design (Seriously, if they see that I do something after they do they never change it. They had the same ship layout for four campaigns in a row.) or make the players sweat. They were still able to get to the locations ahead of the other crews in most cases, but their confusion about how they kept catching up was delicious.

Now, once they completed the endeavour, their first mission was to find out just how the hell that happened. Which included acquiring Krawkin Feckward's warp-gravity slingshot, trading Lady Sun-Lee's webway key back to the Eldar in return for Rangers calling off their guerilla campaign against the Dynasty, and the whole thing with Jeremiah Blitz and the space-turtles, though nobody's sure whether he was being honest about that one.

• Alasseo, Nameless2all, Trailblazer and 1 other like this

#15 Erathia

Erathia

• Members
  • 650 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 12:42 PM

Given that Lure of the Expanse explicitly says there are other waystations out there not described, the other Rogue Traders could just have found some other waystations that allow them to extrapolate the end position.

And then of course if your players are like mine, they won't be able to resist gloating about how awesome everything is going for them. That's a great way to make every other Rogue Trader team up, pool their information and try to stop them. No one likes another Rogue Trader who's doing TOO well.

• Alasseo, Magnus Grendel and RogalDorn01 like this

Citizens of Grace! We have defeated both the Dark Eldar and Ork menaces that threatened your system! We need no thanks nor payments, so long as you do not leave the atmosphere during our salvage operations under pain of death! - Jequin Hos of The Hos Dynasty

#16 Amazing Larry

Amazing Larry

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 04:16 AM

I'll be honest it's not an easy game to start in, RT in general I mean. For what it's worth stick with the Egarian **** and rival RTs to start with, maybe throw a few Rak'Gol in. The starter in the back of the core rulebook isn't a bad way to start but **** me if you're starting out from nothing I'd just find ways to ditch everything starship in favor of PC vs NPC infantry combat, get everyone aquanted with that game before you crowbar in the other one.

That and figure out in advance what sort of characters everyone wants to plat and then write some sort of overarcing story setup that brings them together and ties them to a common objective, because of the nature of this game the threat of stalling at the gate because of differing visions is ever present.

I haven't GMd any other system so I don't know of it's unique but **** me if running RT doesn't make me feel like I've gotta be some kind of Hari Seldon.

#17 Lady Kataline Jianwei

Lady Kataline Jianwei

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 10:47 PM

I decided on Fall from Grace as the adventure to run and have mastered enough of Roll20 to pull this off. Hopefully we will play this weekend.

The adventure is modified as there is no RT and the command crew is made up of the following: Eldar, Tau, Kroot, Ork and a stressed out Human Senechal who has to baby sit sanctioned xenos.

#18 Errant

Errant

• Members
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 11:05 PM

4617282+_8fcd1cf39a8dc2c461ba2b4f6edb7e4

• Kasatka, Nameless2all, Cogniczar and 5 others like this

#19 Nameless2all

Nameless2all

• Members
  • 713 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 08:39 AM

I decided on Fall from Grace.

Ran that one too. Also a blast. I decided to download several pictures of estates and mansions (sci-fi and not), with a few dusty hamlets, and created some random important NPCs. Even had two RTs show up. A Admech one (who was actually a heretic that the pcs unknowingly assisted), and slave trader one that tried to assassinate them with gun cutter strafes. I did all this before KB came out, so all my canibal adversaries were more like Reavers from Firefly.
  • Sebastian Yorke and RogalDorn01 like this

#20 Lady Kataline Jianwei

Lady Kataline Jianwei

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 08:52 AM

Well I ran my first session last night. For a talky heavy session I think I did alright. I had written out a rather nice word document of notes and found that within 30 minutes I couldn't use half of what I had written and had to rewrite on the fly the other half.

Still it was fun. The Senechal kept flubbing his rolls so the brave xenos has to rely on the Ork to scare information out of people. They also managed to get some exclusive contracts with some of the groups on Footfall, though they aimed more to hinder their opposition than get actual backing. And the Tau got the bright idea to fire up a mob to attack one of their competitors ships. The flaw in this plan was relying on the Senechal. They did okay, amassing a mob and fanning their anger. Only they lost control of it and it randomly attacked another RT, not the one they had been targeting.

And with that they left Footfall and made it to the Grace System where I called the session.

• Nameless2all, Tenebrae and Erathia like this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS