Photo

Do you think FFG will ever release an app?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Cunir

Cunir

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 05:11 PM

I know a lot of us here probably like card games and board games precisely because they are NOT computer games, and i am one of those people too, but i was just wondering what you'd think about LotR being released as an app (on the iPad, for example)

I cant see FFG ever doing it, but i cant help thinking that this game would be perfect on a little tablet. It doesn't even have to be the game... Maybe just a deck builder. Sometimes you are just too lazy to get all the cards out and sort through them, and it would be nice just to have all the cards on your ipad as an easy way to look through them in a moment of boredom. And you could save all your decks on it... Maybe it could have all the rules and erratas too. It could be well handy. And if it was just a deck builder it wouldn't dent their sales, because you'd still need to buy the cards to play the game.

I seem to remember one guy on here made his own app (inadvisedly!) and quickly had it taken down by FFG, so maybe there is a small possibility of FFG doing their own in the future.

But anyway... I was just wondering what you think. I like having the physical cards myself, and its nice to get away from the computer screen, so I'm not fussed.
  • ZanzibarLand likes this

#2 Bullroarer Took

Bullroarer Took

• Members
  • 697 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 06:14 PM

No. I don't think they ever will.
"I will not be released in the second quarter!" - Nalir the Dwarf

#3 Pharmboys2013

Pharmboys2013

• Members
  • 728 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 06:46 PM

Tales of the cards has a pretty extensive article on using the app "card warden" to play the game via iPad that I would suggest checking out

That being said I don't think we'll see an official app although given the rabid success of hearthstone I think progressive
thinking companies would be wise to consider it
  • mtpereira likes this

"His life is charmed, or fate spares him for some other end."

#4 shipwreck

shipwreck

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 06:59 PM

I do not.

It seems Fantasy Flight is focused on making [really good] games and that's about it. They have no web app for registering events or anything like that, so an app for card games seems either a long ways way or never.

The Grey Company; Master of Lore; & Frebooter Kommand are all things I work on.

#5 Rapier

Rapier

• Members
  • 428 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 07:23 PM

Tales of the cards has a pretty extensive article on using the app "card warden" to play the game via iPad that I would suggest checking out

That being said I don't think we'll see an official app although given the rabid success of hearthstone I think progressive
thinking companies would be wise to consider it

Hearthstone is made by a company that specializes in computer games though.

FFG are set up to deal with physical components - additionally as this game is essentially solitaire (or can be) they would probably lose money on translating this into an online format as many people would then not need to buy all the cards.

I guess it depends on if they think the broader audience would get them more sales. Several other board games have cropped up on steam recently (like small world and ticket to ride) maybe all games will eventually go that way.

#6 Narsil0420

Narsil0420

• Members
  • 576 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 08:03 PM

I would really love a deck builder app and I think there might be a chance we could see that some day. 

At GenCon last year FFG announced that they would be taking over CardgameDB at a certain point which will lead to officially sanctioned card lists and hopefully a deck builder. It would be a small step from there to an app. They already have support apps like that for Star Wars games.

• mtpereira and ZanzibarLand like this

#7 booored

booored

• Members
  • 1,825 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 08:53 PM

There are 2 apps.

OCTGN and LackeyCCG. Both have deck builders, both have online play. OCTGN is PC only (though apparently if you're a tech head you can get it working in wine on Mac and PC, but I do not know anyone that has been able to get it to work). LackeyCCG can play on Mac, PC, Linux and the iPad version is in its final RC releases and should be out any time now, just waiting on Apple approval basically.. and an Android version is in the works. The lackyCCG plugin is not kept uptodate as often as OCTGN. 

Personally LackeyCCG is by FAR the better app to play the game in, it has save and load, crash protecting, built in functionality to play multihanded and more.. OCTGN has none of those options.

LackeyCCG

OCTGN

There is ALSO a extremely advanced deck builder. You can see it in action in the 1st video (LackeyCCG one). Zorbec makes it and a CoC one.. it is the best deck builder I have ever used among all the games I have ever  played. Have a play with it.. seriously phenomenal. 

It can export decks to Lackey, OCTGN and forum posts.  Has statistical information, testing section, filters and card sorting and even effect filters. (like show only cards that draw more cards) etc etc.

Get it here Zorbe'c Deck Builders

It runs only on PC, but with wine I can get it to run easily in Mac and Linux.

• Mich the One likes this
"People should be less concerned about whether they are being insulted and more concerned if it is the truth"

#8 Snowhive

Snowhive

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 02:30 AM

I don't think so.

Especially Deckbuilder are enough around. They are browser based, so you can use them on iPad to.

#9 Cunir

Cunir

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 02:46 AM

it could be a decent money spinner for them. I don't think there are many people in the world who like "in-app purchases", but they would be a perfect fit for this.

every time a new pack came out they could just charge 50p or something, to add the cards to your deck builder. so they'd have two ways of making money from each pack — adding them to your deck builder app, and buying the actual cards so you can play the game.

it all comes down to money at the end of the day, doesn't it. if they can see they will make money off it then maybe they will do it.

they could have a better quest log on there too.

the more i think about it, the better i'm thinking it would be. come on FFG!

i totally forgot that they bought CardGameDB. that puts my hopes up that we will eventually see something one day

Edited by Cunir, 08 June 2014 - 02:47 AM.

• ZanzibarLand likes this

#10 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

• Members
  • 1,471 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 03:14 AM

I would totally enjoy a thing like that. Being able to play with mah far friends and stuff, or matchmade with randoms. Dragging in someone who would never spend a cent on a real life card collection.

#11 booored

booored

• Members
  • 1,825 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 05:28 AM

did IQs just drop sharply. You CAN do that. Play online, play on ipad and have match making and everything. This already exists..

"People should be less concerned about whether they are being insulted and more concerned if it is the truth"

#12 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

• Members
  • 1,471 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 06:00 AM

While OCTGN is good, it's not automated and requires plenty of setup and digging, has no fancy effects and stuff. For me, LotR LCG fan, owning entire physical collection, it does not matter. For someone new, alien to the card games, lotr lcg, or else, OCTGN might prove to be pretty hard and uninviting. 

An automated game which resolves all automatic effects, has graphics (splashes during damage) and visual parameter changes (like reducing actual printed vaule on the card if it's got -1 willpower or else) would be what it takes to drag outside people in. 

#13 booored

booored

• Members
  • 1,825 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 06:41 AM

octgn is ****.. use lackey

#14 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

• Members
  • 1,471 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 07:29 AM

lackey is ****.. use octgn

#15 Raven1015

Raven1015

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 10:34 AM

Hasnt the Lackey ipad app been "waiting for approval" for over a year now? I know apple can be slow but damn.

Edited by Raven1015, 08 June 2014 - 10:36 AM.

Check out my LOTR LCG blog: talesfromthecards.wordpress.com

Listen to The Grey Company podcast: greycompanypodcast.wordpress.com

#16 Narsil0420

Narsil0420

• Members
  • 576 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 10:45 AM

Boored:

We're talking about apps which implies the ability to use it on iOS and Macs which you can't do with Lackey or OCTGN.
Also, there's something nice about an officially sponsored program that has cool art and a less complicated installation/interface.

#17 Cunir

Cunir

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 10:53 AM

Dont you have to wait 6 months or something, for all the new quests to appear on OCTGN?
It would be much better to have a deck builder app by FFG which you could use as the quests come out
CardGameDB is a great site, but its not quite as good as you would get with a dedicated app

#18 DarthJalapeno

DarthJalapeno

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 11:39 AM

For Gondroid!
  • OnkelZorni and richsabre like this

#19 richsabre

richsabre

the REAL Gandalf.....

• Members
  • 4,746 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 11:43 AM

Love it :D

My Deviantart profile. Infrared Art http://richsabre.deviantart.com/

My Portfolio http://richardbyers.portfoliobox.me/

#20 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

• Members
  • 1,471 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 12:21 PM

Dont you have to wait 6 months or something, for all the new quests to appear on OCTGN?
It would be much better to have a deck builder app by FFG which you could use as the quests come out
CardGameDB is a great site, but its not quite as good as you would get with a dedicated app

If you have sets yourself, you can insert your own images into the OCTGN, granting you instant access.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS