FFG Possibly Spoils Wave 5

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#41 Black Knight Leader

Black Knight Leader

• Members
  • 508 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 10:43 AM

So I follow FFG's various product lines and I noticed something in the latest post about the SW:LCG expansion Between the Shadows:

http://fantasyflight...s.asp?eidn=4856

Closer inspection:

http://www.fantasyfl...WC22-DS-fan.png

There are 2 ships associated with Scum & Villainy: Black Sun Headhunter and Xizor's (head of the Black Sun) Virago.

So what you might think? There's no 3rd faction in X-Wing (yet)? Check out something else more interesting:

There are tons cards released for the Star Wings LCG that depict existing (or soon to be) cards/ships in the X-Wing miniatures game, including:

• Z-95
  • Y-Wing
  • B-Wing
  • Blue Squadron B-Wing
  • Vader's TIE Advanced
  • TIE Interceptor
  • Tantive IV
  • TIE Fighter
  • TIE Bomber
  • Rebel Transport
  • TIE Advanced
  • Millennium Falcon
  • Outer Rim Smugglers
  • Slave I
  • Lambda-class Shuttle
  • Moldy Crow
  • Backstabber
  • A-Wing
  • Bright Hope
  • Blockade Runner
  • Black Squadron Pilot
  • C-3PO
  • R2 units
  • Chewbacca
  • Han Solo
  • Lando
  • Leia Organa
  • Nien Nunb
  • Intel Operative
  • Ugnaught (uses Weapons Engineer art)
  • WED-15
  • Rookie Pilot
  • Saboteur
  • So many X-Wings

In fact, many of those ships share artwork with the X-Wing game (for example, the TIE Fighter card is Dark Curse's art).

So it looks like they will possibly be making a third faction of Scum/Villainy and/or Bounty Hunters. That means, of the cards they've already released for SW:LCG, they could already include the following ships:

• Hyperspace Maurader
  • Kihraxz-class Assault Fighter
  • Lictor-class Dungeon Ship
  • Punishing One
  • Slueth Scout
  • Short Range Hauler
  • Virago
  • Black Sun Headhunter

Note there are plenty of characters (that do not depict their ships), such as Bossk, Dash Rendar, and Zuckuss.

I'm sure there are more, but I think the point has been made. The LCG and the minis game seem to share a vision that includes art, ships, cards, abilities, and units. There is ample reason to believe that wave 5 may very well include a third faction to include bounty hunters, sum, and villainy.

I am ok with this IF AND ONLY they dont make them a support faction.  They need the Black Sun and Zann factions in this game IF they do make new faction/s.  They both have a good sized group of fighters that are not junk, esp Zann, that overrall can be thought of as equal.  Most ships I see people post though are not the ships I am talking about.

May the Holy Trinity be with you and give you peace.

#42 sirhc

sirhc

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 11:16 AM

There will be no WizKids foolishness up in this game. No third faction, why are we even talking about it? It's horrible, just horrible.
  • Sithborg and northdownwest like this

#43 Vorpal Sword

Vorpal Sword

O frabjous day!

• Members
  • 2,309 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 07:21 PM

There will be no WizKids foolishness up in this game. No third faction, why are we even talking about it? It's horrible, just horrible.

I don't see any particular reason to suspect it's likely, but if the designers decided it's something they wanted, I'm confident they'd do a good job with it.
  • Norsehound, LeoHowler and Sideslip like this

#44 sirhc

sirhc

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 07:32 PM

I don't see any particular reason to suspect it's likely, but if the designers decided it's something they wanted, I'm confident they'd do a good job with it.

Vorpal, don't get me wrong. If the designers in their wisdom decide the game needs it I have no doubt they will execute it perfectly. I just hate all the talk about it, is all. I don't like religion in my sci-fi and I don't like Attack Wing in my X-Wing.

#45 s1n

s1n

• Members
  • 297 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 08:19 PM

Vorpal, don't get me wrong. If the designers in their wisdom decide the game needs it I have no doubt they will execute it perfectly. I just hate all the talk about it, is all. I don't like religion in my sci-fi and I don't like Attack Wing in my X-Wing.

You did see the movies, right? I mean, did you ignore a large majority of the movies that dealt with The Force?

Having another faction hardly makes it Attack Wing. You'd have to cut the quality in half, start selling blind buys, and keep a straight face when you say "No, this is not Heroclix".

• LeoHowler likes this

#46 AverageBoss

AverageBoss

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 09:33 PM

You did see the movies, right? I mean, did you ignore a large majority of the movies that dealt with The Force?

Having another faction hardly makes it Attack Wing. You'd have to cut the quality in half, start selling blind buys, and keep a straight face when you say "No, this is not Heroclix".

You got the quality part right, but the other two are off. Attack Wing does not do blind buys, you know exactly what you are getting. And Attack Wing plays nothing at all like Heroclix. They do run a separate heroclix line of Star Trek and they use the same figures for both games.

Attack Wings problem is not in its multiple factions (that's actually one of the better things about the game), its how there is no enforcement of faction. This allows you to do things like have Picard pilot a Warbird with a disciple of Khan as a crewmen and a Borg Feedback Pulse equipped.

• admiralcrunch likes this

#47 s1n

s1n

• Members
  • 297 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 05:48 AM

You got the quality part right, but the other two are off. Attack Wing does not do blind buys, you know exactly what you are getting. And Attack Wing plays nothing at all like Heroclix. They do run a separate heroclix line of Star Trek and they use the same figures for both games.

Attack Wings problem is not in its multiple factions (that's actually one of the better things about the game), its how there is no enforcement of faction. This allows you to do things like have Picard pilot a Warbird with a disciple of Khan as a crewmen and a Borg Feedback Pulse equipped.

http://wizkidsgames....the-collective/

#48 Iffo

Iffo

• Members
  • 242 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 06:29 AM

I don't see them adding a third faction and even if they do it'd likely be a set of new exclusive pilots and upgrades for existing ships plus a couple of new ships. Otherwise it'd be too unbalanced - the third faction would only have a few ships that didn't get much (if any) screen time and are mostly unknown to the broad audience of the game. A huge part of the appeal in X-Wing is that casual players immediately recognise most (if not all) of the ships. Adding a third faction of mostly unknown ships will likely scare away some of those casual players...

(-o-)   (-o-)   (-o-)   |-o-|   |-o-|   |-o-|   (<o>)   |-o-|   |-o-|   |-o-|   (-co-)   (-co-)   (-co-)  

:>8@8<:   :>8@8<:   :>8@8<:   o=<@>=o   o=<@>=o   o=<@>=o   -</o\>-   -</o\>-   @-|=---o   @-|=---o 

#49 Eruletho

Eruletho

• Members
  • 585 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 07:02 AM

And again, the designers have stated that this game is an Empire vs Rebel game. No third faction.

Just pointing this out, but the designers also said that the Falcon and Slave 1 would be the largest ships for the game, and that nothing bigger would ever be made.

The old WotC ground miniatures game had 10 factions, one of which was a mercenary fringe faction whose characters could be added to the other factions. There was terrible balance, but that was primarily due to the way the factions were introduced and what the factions were. (They started with Rebels, Imperials, and Fringe. The second set added Republic and Seperatists. 2 expansions later they added New Republic and Vong, and a further two after that they tossed in Old Republic, Sith, and Mando. Rebel, Empire, and Republic were the clearly strongest factions when Wizards ended it's support of the game, with Vong, Sith, and Mando completely uncompetitive, and OR, Sep, and NR barely scraping by.) I can't see the designers here making the same mistakes, as already they have avoided many of the pitfalls of the old game (obsoleting older minis rather than finding new ways to make them useful being the largest.)

I welcome the idea of a third faction, whether a seperately playable faction or a fringe-style set that could be added to either. If they go the former route, I'd like to see new pilot cards for the Firespray, Falcon, HWK, and Z95 (and possible the Shuttle, TIE Fighter, and Y-wing, as they were often stolen by pirates and used by other factions) to start the faction off, then they add a couple more ships (Virago, Outrider, Uglies, maybe the ARC-170 or LAAT/i that could be old war relics that are still used by some pirates) to make it a completely viable force.

In fact, Wave 5 could be 3 ships plus a card pack to get the new faction caught up. The card pack includes cardboard bases and pilot cards (maybe a couple upgrades) to bring the Falcon, Firespray, HWK, Z, and TIE into the faction, and the three ships are the Outrider, Virago, and a TIE-Wing or Sleuth Scout. The new faction focuses less on small fighters, using them instead to augment their larger, heavily modified freighters and attack ships. The YT-1300, YT-2400, and Firespray 31 make up the core of the faction, with the small ships in a support role.

Or maybe I just really want to be able to the a Firespray and a Falcon in the same list in a tournament...

• admiralcrunch likes this

#50 Jo Jo

Jo Jo

• Members
  • 570 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 08:35 AM

I don't see them adding a third faction and even if they do it'd likely be a set of new exclusive pilots and upgrades for existing ships plus a couple of new ships. Otherwise it'd be too unbalanced - the third faction would only have a few ships that didn't get much (if any) screen time and are mostly unknown to the broad audience of the game. A huge part of the appeal in X-Wing is that casual players immediately recognise most (if not all) of the ships. Adding a third faction of mostly unknown ships will likely scare away some of those casual players...

I don't think a 3rd faction would scare anyone from getting into this game. The entry fee is already pretty high compared to other table top games (i'm not talking strictly minatures). To get to a 100 point squad you are at least paying near $80. To casual players, $80 is a hefty investment. It almost kept me from getting into this game.. almost.

We might get a 3rd faction out of the new movies. The "bad guys" might not be strictly Imperials.

"And then, we'll remind the Rebellion what war is all about." 

#51 VanorDM

VanorDM

Rules Ninja

• Members
  • 3,629 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 09:06 AM

The entry fee is already pretty high compared to other table top games (i'm not talking strictly minatures).

Looking at other FFG board games, and they're all in the $50 to $80 range. The LCG are cheaper to start with but even then, a core set is $40 and it can be upwards of $90 for a single cycle of Netrunner.

#52 UnfairBanana

UnfairBanana

• Members
  • 852 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 12:09 PM

Not only did we go from the ever-so-overdone wave 5 spoilers, but then progressed into the popular third faction debate. Yay for bickering!

Card art from other games does not mean that ship is coming to this game. Has it happened before? Sure. Coincidence? Absolutely.
As for third factions; don't get your hopes up. At this point it'd be too hard to catch up. Not to mention then they'd need a huge ship, and look how many options the other two factions have already. To keep it fair they'd need a couple waves just for themselves, and I certainly don't wanna wait that long for them.

Rebels: 2 A-wings, 2 B-wings, 1 E-wing, 4 X-Wings, 2 Y- Wings, 2 Z-95s, 1 HWK-290, 1 YT-1300, 1 GR-75 Space whale, 1 CR-90 Corvette

Empire: 5 TIE/LN, 4 TIE Interceptors, 2 TIE Bombers, 1 TIE Advanced, 1 TIE Defender, 1 TIE Phantom, 2 Firesprays, 1 Lambda

#53 Bathickey

Bathickey

• Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 01:25 PM

I think if they introduce a third or *fourth* (haha) faction, I'd be cool with it coming as a preconfigured squad for $80 or whatever. A box for a third faction would be like the following and to field the faction you buy:

Black Sun Syndicate:

1 Stinger

1 Virago 

2 viper 

(pilot cards for contained ships, headhunter pilot ships (can include z95's in this faction) purple dice or something, upgrades, can field firesprays and pilots in this faction)

it'd add up to 90 points, you customize by adding xixor or not and things like engine upgrades and call it a day. They wouldn't really need to endlessly release stuff for the new faction. Produce that and a viper add-on blister and call it a day.

you could do the same thing with Yuuzhan Vong or prequel droid/republic factions. Just release them in kits that you buy all at once with a blister add on each. While the aces boxes that are coming out are sort of squadish I'm surprised they haven't released 'rogue squadron', or the 181st.

8x Tie, 5x Bomber, 5x interceptor,  3x Firespray, 3x Defender, 2x Advanced, 2x Phantom, 1x Lambda

#54 Gundog8324

Gundog8324

• Members
  • 736 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 01:30 PM

To keep it fair they'd need a couple waves just for themselves, and I certainly don't wanna wait that long for them.

Not to mention with 2-3 waves + an aces release to catch up pure rebel/pure imperial players will the complain about a lack of content for their ships

#55 VanorDM

VanorDM

Rules Ninja

• Members
  • 3,629 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 01:38 PM

you could do the same thing with Yuuzhan Vong or prequel droid/republic factions.

There's a very real possibility that the Yuuzhan Vong will become apocrypha, and never have actually existed. Same goes for anything from Shadows of the Empire for that matter.

Disney said that the EU doesn't really count any longer unless it's used in a movie, and it's unlikely they'd let FFG make a whole faction out something that doesn't actually exist.

#56 Sithborg

Sithborg

• Members
  • 1,531 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 01:42 PM

Considering they already started undoing the NJO, the Vong are likely out. Not that I would want them in this game anyway. I enjoyed the NJO, but coralskippers are ugly.

The Legends stuff is just in a weird state of flux right now. It still exists until something new changes it.

#57 vyrago

vyrago

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 01:54 PM

I wonder if FFG will be in contact with LFL/Disney regarding new ships as Episode VII gets closer.  hmmm?

#58 VanorDM

VanorDM

Rules Ninja

• Members
  • 3,629 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 01:55 PM

I wonder if FFG will be in contact with LFL/Disney regarding new ships as Episode VII gets closer.

It would be foolish by both sides to not do so. X-Wing sells very well, and Disney will want to put new stuff out in every place they can.

#59 AverageBoss

AverageBoss

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 02:00 PM

http://wizkidsgames....the-collective/

That is for a special 3 month long, campaign event. The blind draws in this case are special campaign ships, making it more of a blind draft. This is not indicative of how normal Attack Wing operates at all. If it is popular, they will use this for future campaigns, if not they will use other formats.

#60 Gundog8324

Gundog8324

• Members
  • 736 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 02:05 PM

There's a very real possibility that the Yuuzhan Vong will become apocrypha, and never have actually existed. Same goes for anything from Shadows of the Empire for that matter.

Disney said that the EU doesn't really count any longer unless it's used in a movie, and it's unlikely they'd let FFG make a whole faction out something that doesn't actually exist.

I was under the impression they only "cleaned out" the post Return of the Jedi EU and that Shadows would be safe since it was between 5-6.  (also I believe people have mentioned a visual of a YT-2400 was in 4 in one of the hangers)

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS