FFG Possibly Spoils Wave 5

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#1 s1n

s1n

• Members
  • 374 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 04:00 PM

So I follow FFG's various product lines and I noticed something in the latest post about the SW:LCG expansion Between the Shadows:

http://fantasyflight...s.asp?eidn=4856

Closer inspection:

http://www.fantasyfl...WC22-DS-fan.png

There are 2 ships associated with Scum & Villainy: Black Sun Headhunter and Xizor's (head of the Black Sun) Virago.

So what you might think? There's no 3rd faction in X-Wing (yet)? Check out something else more interesting:

There are tons cards released for the Star Wings LCG that depict existing (or soon to be) cards/ships in the X-Wing miniatures game, including:

• Z-95
  • Y-Wing
  • B-Wing
  • Blue Squadron B-Wing
  • Vader's TIE Advanced
  • TIE Interceptor
  • Tantive IV
  • TIE Fighter
  • TIE Bomber
  • Rebel Transport
  • TIE Advanced
  • Millennium Falcon
  • Outer Rim Smugglers
  • Slave I
  • Lambda-class Shuttle
  • Moldy Crow
  • Backstabber
  • A-Wing
  • Bright Hope
  • Blockade Runner
  • Black Squadron Pilot
  • C-3PO
  • R2 units
  • Chewbacca
  • Han Solo
  • Lando
  • Leia Organa
  • Nien Nunb
  • Intel Operative
  • Ugnaught (uses Weapons Engineer art)
  • WED-15
  • Rookie Pilot
  • Saboteur
  • So many X-Wings

In fact, many of those ships share artwork with the X-Wing game (for example, the TIE Fighter card is Dark Curse's art).

So it looks like they will possibly be making a third faction of Scum/Villainy and/or Bounty Hunters. That means, of the cards they've already released for SW:LCG, they could already include the following ships:

• Hyperspace Maurader
  • Kihraxz-class Assault Fighter
  • Lictor-class Dungeon Ship
  • Punishing One
  • Slueth Scout
  • Short Range Hauler
  • Virago
  • Black Sun Headhunter

Note there are plenty of characters (that do not depict their ships), such as Bossk, Dash Rendar, and Zuckuss.

I'm sure there are more, but I think the point has been made. The LCG and the minis game seem to share a vision that includes art, ships, cards, abilities, and units. There is ample reason to believe that wave 5 may very well include a third faction to include bounty hunters, sum, and villainy.

• Joe Boss Red Seven likes this

#2 WonderWAAAGH

WonderWAAAGH

Oasean Ork

• Members
  • 3,282 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 04:02 PM

No. No no no no no no no no no.

And no. They haven't been in the past, they aren't now, nor will they ever be related in the future. Two different games, no spoilers, no third faction. No.

Edited by WonderWAAAGH, 07 June 2014 - 04:04 PM.

• Revanchist, Cubanboy, Dagonet and 2 others like this

I'm an angelic creature free of sin.

#3 Sithborg

Sithborg

• Members
  • 1,740 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 04:03 PM

They reuse art, so what. It hints at what you MAY see as a ship. But in no way does it imply factions. The Shadows of the Empire  feel of the new Deluxe expansion (along with the Dash Rendar love) does hint, to me, that the Outrider and Virago are coming.

And again, the designers have stated that this game is an Empire vs Rebel game. No third faction.

• Revanchist, LeoHowler, Red G and 1 other like this

#4 Harpsichord

Harpsichord

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 04:05 PM

I'm sure there are more, but I think the point has been made. The LCG and the minis game seem to share a vision that includes art, ships, cards, abilities, and units.

Is it really all that surprising that two Star Wars games would share units/characters? And two games made by the same company using the same art is just a practicality thing, I don't think it implies a connection.

#5 s1n

s1n

• Members
  • 374 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 04:08 PM

If I recall correctly, the original designers are no longer working on this game (seems to be supported by the 4 other designers on the BGG listing not printed on the core game). So while original intent was to keep it as the game is now, that may not be the direction (especially when money is at stake).

#6 Lagomorphia

Lagomorphia

• Members
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 04:12 PM

They cross over so much because they're drawing from the same source material, GCW Star Wars.

#7 JCDisaray

JCDisaray

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 04:31 PM

And no. They haven't been in the past, they aren't now, nor will they ever be related in the future. Two different games, no spoilers, no third faction. No.

Yoda: So certain are you. Always with you what cannot be done.

• evanger, Forensicus, teufelwolf@yahoo.com and 3 others like this

#8 Joe Boss Red Seven

Joe Boss Red Seven

The Laughing Warrior

• Members
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 04:40 PM

I think this is a good observation. Something BIG is coming later this year.

;)

I am certain that we are going to get at least one HUGE Imperial Ship and another Bounty Hunter.

:D

"There Is No Such Thing As Luck." BLACK SIX RED SEVEN

STAR WARS is far more than three thirty year old films. FFG intends for X-Wing to thrive, thus it will be more also... PERIOD.

ALLIANCE: [A-WING: 3][B-WING: 3][E-WING: 3][HWK-290: 2][X-WING: 6][Y-WING: 5][Z-95: 6][YT-1300: 1][YT-2400: ] EMPIRE: [TIE ADVANCED: 1][TIE BOMBER: 3][TIE DEFENDER: 3][TIE FIGHTER: 5][TIE INTERCEPTOR: 6][TIE PHANTOM: 3][DECIMATOR: ][FIRESPRAY-31: ][SHUTTLE-LAMBDA: 1] SCUM: [FIRESPRAY-31: 1][HWK-290: 3][IG-2000: ][M3-A: ][STAR VIPER: ][Y-WING: 1][Z-95: ]

#9 s1n

s1n

• Members
  • 374 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 04:43 PM

Care to make a small wager?

• stegocent, JCDisaray, Crabbok and 1 other like this

#10 Sithborg

Sithborg

• Members
  • 1,740 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 04:52 PM

It's one thing to think a ship will enter the game. It is another to assume that the flavor of the other cards will impact the design of this game. Each faction has 8 different ships (not including epic). And while the game is pretty well balance, would you really like to play a faction that is only at the level of Wave 1 vs others that are on Wave 5. It makes no sense.

Not to mention how they've already used the fringe elements in the LCG (look at all Slave 1 art), and added them into the Imperials. And adding a faction that can use ships that the others can will hurt it's distinctiveness.

And the LCG and this game do not share abilities. They literally cannot, due to the differences in the game.

• AdmiralThrawn likes this

#11 WonderWAAAGH

WonderWAAAGH

Oasean Ork

• Members
  • 3,282 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 05:06 PM

If FFG releases a third faction within one year from today, I will send you one small ship of your choosing. What do you offer in return?

• NotBatman, stegocent, oddeye and 6 others like this

#12 s1n

s1n

• Members
  • 374 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 05:19 PM

If FFG releases a third faction within one year from today, I will send you one small ship of your choosing. What do you offer in return?

Sounds fair. Same in return. However, it takes them forever to actually release, so let's just say if they at least announce it by then.

• NotBatman, stegocent, oddeye and 5 others like this

#13 WonderWAAAGH

WonderWAAAGH

Oasean Ork

• Members
  • 3,282 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 05:20 PM

Fine. Bookmark the page.
  • NotBatman, stegocent, oddeye and 4 others like this

#14 s1n

s1n

• Members
  • 374 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 05:22 PM

It's one thing to think a ship will enter the game. It is another to assume that the flavor of the other cards will impact the design of this game. Each faction has 8 different ships (not including epic). And while the game is pretty well balance, would you really like to play a faction that is only at the level of Wave 1 vs others that are on Wave 5. It makes no sense.

Not to mention how they've already used the fringe elements in the LCG (look at all Slave 1 art), and added them into the Imperials. And adding a faction that can use ships that the others can will hurt it's distinctiveness.

And the LCG and this game do not share abilities. They literally cannot, due to the differences in the game.

What they did in the LCG was give them more focus to level it out. Two of the deluxe expansions have added tons of content for these newer factions.

#15 Kordos

Kordos

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 06:20 PM

A Third faction? IMO unlikely

Neutral Scum/Bounty Hunters/Mercenaries you can take with either existing faction? I think that is a possibility 

• DagobahDave likes this

#16 s1n

s1n

• Members
  • 374 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 06:29 PM

Neutral Scum/Bounty Hunters/Mercenaries you can take with either existing faction? I think that is a possibility 

Technically, a neutral party is still a third party (http://thelawdiction.../neutral-party/).

Just to be clear WonderWAAAGH, a neutral faction would still be a third faction. In other words, a third faction is one that is not strictly associated with just rebels or just imperial.

#17 Kordos

Kordos

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 06:55 PM

Technically, a neutral party is still a third party (http://thelawdiction.../neutral-party/).

Just to be clear WonderWAAAGH, a neutral faction would still be a third faction. In other words, a third faction is one that is not strictly associated with just rebels or just imperial.

It's pretty clear I meant they wouldn't be playable as their own faction but you could add them to an Imperial or Rebel squad 

#18 DagobahDave

DagobahDave

Laser Brain

• Members
  • 1,110 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 07:07 PM

s1n, who said anything about a "third party"? We're talking about factions. :)

If there's a faction other than Rebels or Imperials within a year, someone wins a bet. Faction-flexible ships -- that is, ships that can be flown for either the Rebels or Imperials -- wouldn't count as a third faction.

A new faction would be one that includes ships that can be flown for neither the Rebels nor Imperials, but their own faction.

Edited by DagobahDave, 07 June 2014 - 07:10 PM.

Join the Unofficial X-Wing Galactic Campaign and propel your favorite faction toward victory every time you play!

#19 Aminar

Aminar

• Members
  • 3,099 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 07:11 PM

I hope we get the Virago for the Imperials. It looks like fun.

#20 s1n

s1n

• Members
  • 374 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 08:02 PM

s1n, who said anything about a "third party"? We're talking about factions. :)

If there's a faction other than Rebels or Imperials within a year, someone wins a bet. Faction-flexible ships -- that is, ships that can be flown for either the Rebels or Imperials -- wouldn't count as a third faction.

A new faction would be one that includes ships that can be flown for neither the Rebels nor Imperials, but their own faction.

Well I didn't make any bet with you, but if that's how WonderWAAAGH wants to define it, then he can weigh in.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS