Rebel Aces Spoilers on Team Covenant

• Please log in to reply
378 replies to this topic

#21 AdmiralThrawn

AdmiralThrawn

• Members
  • 335 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 08:47 AM

Well that's just wonderful for the imperials. Now kyle katarn in the hawk with jan ors crew can choose to pass focus or evade tokens.

• Revanchist, DraconPyrothayan, LeoHowler and 3 others like this

"Information always matters. Bad information leads to bad tactics. Incomplete information leads to flawed strategy. Both can lead to defeat."

#22 Rob Jedi

Rob Jedi

• Members
  • 507 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 08:49 AM

looking at the card there is no room for the words "non-unique" so still not sure where they got that from
  • Digitalkiller and quasistellar like this
Rob_Jedi's Miniature Painting Blog My Repaints Armored Hull YT-1300 Imperial Transport
Rebels: Ax6 Bx6 Ex3 CRx1 GRx1 Hx2 Xx6 Yx3 YTx3 YTx1 Zx6
Empire: FSx3 LSx1 TAx2 TBx2 TDx2 TFx7 TIx7 TPx1 VTx1

#23 Lagomorphia

Lagomorphia

• Validating
  • 1,557 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 08:56 AM

Well that's just wonderful for the imperials. Now kyle katarn in the hawk with jan ors crew can choose to pass focus or evade tokens.

HWK needs more love. (B-wing totally doesn't though...)

• LeoHowler and AdmiralThrawn like this

#24 quasistellar

quasistellar

• Members
  • 258 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 09:02 AM

looking at the card there is no room for the words "non-unique" so still not sure where they got that from

Indeed.

Folks, look at the card in the picture, and NOT what is written in the article.

The CARD ITSELF says: 

<obscured>wing only.  Modification

Your upgrade bar gains

the <crew symbol> upgrade icon.

The <obscured> portion clearly has only enough space for the "B-" part of "B-wing".

#25 quasistellar

quasistellar

• Members
  • 258 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 09:05 AM

I really wish they didn't use the B-wing as their "Aces" craft--the Y-wing clearly would have been a better choice to receive a crew slot and more pilots.  So sad that Y-wings are still just only competitive as ion turret platforms :(

• Baphomet69, KineticOperator, Rakky Wistol and 4 others like this

#26 Rakky Wistol

Rakky Wistol

The Grey

• Members
  • 2,874 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 09:24 AM

Whoa... Anger is the path to the dark side folks. Don't join the terrorists!

I'm mad for a different reason: YT's and Bwings didn't need any help! And, we've discussed this before, sooooo much better than anything the imperials have received at this point.

-all the awing awesomeness (needed. Way better treatment than Imperial. We better get advanced reboot soon)
-Mwoar rebel only crew
---a rebel crew that converts evades. Imperials have been begging for that
---a rebel crew that makes stress a bonus.
-YT's that take 4 damage to even scratch the paint?!
---a YT with that set up can pretty much win any endgame scenario with less than 3 opposing ships. Going to be a lot of "good games". Very early in the match.
-ignores the ywing.
-Bwings get a mod for the mod slot that makes them even more powerful. 1pt to convert an unused slot into something very powerful isn't something most Bwings needed.
-all so much better than anything the empire has received since what... Ever?

I'm hoping there is another aces pack on the imperial side hidden in the distribution chain... This + transport+ Tantive is really feeling lopsided. I know imperials are dominating at regionals, after getting beaten by the scum at store championships, but this just feels icky as an imperial player. Phantoms and defenders only go so far...

Edited by Rakky Wistol, 07 June 2014 - 09:26 AM.

• Baphomet69, CWahlsten, rym and 2 others like this

#27 dandirk

dandirk

• Members
  • 365 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 09:37 AM

Whoa... Anger is the path to the dark side folks. Don't join the terrorists!

I'm mad for a different reason: YT's and Bwings didn't need any help! And, we've discussed this before, sooooo much better than anything the imperials have received at this point.

-all the awing awesomeness (needed. Way better treatment than Imperial. We better get advanced reboot soon)
-Mwoar rebel only crew
---a rebel crew that converts evades. Imperials have been begging for that
---a rebel crew that makes stress a bonus.
-YT's that take 4 damage to even scratch the paint?!
---a YT with that set up can pretty much win any endgame scenario with less than 3 opposing ships. Going to be a lot of "good games". Very early in the match.
-Bwings get a mod for the mod slot that makes them even more powerful. 1pt to convert an unused slot into something very powerful isn't something most Bwings needed.
-all so much better than anything the empire has received since what... Ever?

I'm hoping there is another aces pack on the imperial side hidden in the distribution chain... This + transport+ Tantive is really feeling lopsided. I know imperials are dominating at regionals, after getting beaten by the scum at store championships, but this just feels icky as an imperial player. Phantoms and defenders only go so far...

While I have not analysed it, does seem like Rebels get more options and synergy.  Imperials seem stuck in a Howlrunner swarm type base... with a doom shuttle, firespray or interceptor squad here and there.  Not saying there is imbalance just imperials generally lack support options.  When points have to worth something, Imperials abilities can be worth less because they tend to effect only the pilot/ship.  Thus howlrunner, jonus are popular because they can support more than one ship.

I would disagree about Imperials needing a evade creation ability... seems it is a way to add a evade token to rebels which generally lack the ability.  Imperial have more evade capable ships just as rebels have more target lock capable ships.  I would think a crew to convert focus to TL would be more "equivalent" for Imperials.

I also would really like to see Advanced Tie aces love.

Edited by dandirk, 07 June 2014 - 09:38 AM.

#28 SableGryphon

SableGryphon

Ghostly Void Bison

• Members
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 09:42 AM

Oooo...

B-Wing + FCS + Han Solo is going to rock. :D

I do foresee some rather annoying Biggs lists, though there are certainly counters to that. For example, if you block Biggs' movement so he's not in range 1 (a favored tactic of mine) you can concentrate firepower on other targets or attack the less armored Biggs. Alternately, stick Carnor Jax next to Biggs. Enjoy not using those focus/evade tokens. Use the tokens against him, like with the Buzzsaw Shuttle (especially my newest variant which I shall speak on soon). Proton bombs will mess a BIggs squad up, I should point out, because you either hit a nice, tight cluster of rebel squishiness or they split up to maximize their evasion,

Not to mention Biggs will still crumple under a concentrated TIE Swarm barrage. Relax, the rebels aren't supreme yet. :)

• Vorpal Sword, rym, DraconPyrothayan and 4 others like this

Come on down to Sable's Shuttle Emporium for all your Alabaster Void Bison needs!

5 TIE Advanced, 6 TIE Bomber, 4 TIE Defender, 10 TIE Fighter, 6 TIE Interceptor, 4 TIE Phantom, 4 Firespray, 5 Lambda, 2 VT-49

7 A-Wing, 7 B-Wing, 3 E-Wing, 7 X-Wing, 4 Y-Wing, 6 Z-95, 4 HWK-290, 2 YT-1300, 2 YT-2400, 2 GR-75, 1 CR-90

#29 Rakky Wistol

Rakky Wistol

The Grey

• Members
  • 2,874 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 09:50 AM

While I have not analysed it, does seem like Rebels get more options and synergy.  Imperials seem stuck in a Howlrunner swarm type base... with a doom shuttle, firespray or interceptor squad here and there.  Not saying there is imbalance just imperials generally lack support options.  When points have to worth something, Imperials abilities can be worth less because they tend to effect only the pilot/ship.  Thus howlrunner, jonus are popular because they can support more than one ship.

I would disagree about Imperials needing a evade creation ability... seems it is a way to add a evade token to rebels which generally lack the ability.  Imperial have more evade capable ships just as rebels have more target lock capable ships.  I would think a crew to convert focus to TL would be more "equivalent" for Imperials.

Kir Kanos, every PTL interceptor, and many swarms would disagree with you.  The ability to convert a token into an evade (especially a stress token) would be a boon, token creation even more so, especially for interceptors.  The rebel{scum} teamwork and extra action thing is getting old (and by that I mean awesome) while the empire keeps getting abilities that negatively impact their pilots (stress). 

I hope when they finally get around to a firespray update they get:

Prison Transport refit (title)- +1 sheild, +1 crew (may only fill with a Rebel only or Prisoner subtype crew)

Flavorful and fun!  Would have to errata the Rebel Captive to have the Prisoner subtype and create a few more.

#30 quasistellar

quasistellar

• Members
  • 258 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 10:00 AM

I think the main problem with Imperials and why they don't get more "stuff", is that Howlrunner exists and Academy TIEs exist.  The synergy there is so strong and so cheap that it's perilous to include more synergy abilities for imperials.

• KineticOperator likes this

#31 Red Castle

Red Castle

• Members
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 10:05 AM

Empire is doomed, doomed I tell ya! First they destroy our new Death Star, and now this!? Nerd Rage!!!!!

But seriously, it would be nice for the empire to have some token giver option too other than the Shuttle and at better range than 1. Maybe that's why Howlrunner see so much play, they don't have any other support ship to choose from, and Jonus. 

I'm a french native player so sometimes, some expressions or meanings might be lost in translation. I mean no disrespect.

#32 Sithborg

Sithborg

• Members
  • 2,423 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 10:07 AM

Right on schedule, the "This is unfair" complaints come rolling in. Got to keep up the trend with the Rebel only releases.

Good to see that the B-wing/E2 costs 1 point. So, are some of the crew members worth the 1 pt tax? Maybe. But it does prevent it from being the B-wing godsend many were claiming.

Jan Ors is okay. Sure, you can make a tanky Falcon. But is Han being your only offensive boost good enough? I'm not completely sold on her with Kyle (HWK). I use Kyle for the amazing offensive boost of TL and Focus. Not sure how often I would use Jan. An interesting option, for sure.

Kyle, I like the more I think about it. Works great with Wingman. Suddenly, a Wingman makes it so you can essentially take a Focus after you K-turn (or move fast on the HWK). I really am liking Kyle on Jan (HWK). Green move to remove her stress, gain a Focus, and then take a Focus action or Target Lock. May want to start putting the Blaster Turret on Jan...

• Red Castle, Vorpal Sword, z0m4d and 2 others like this

#33 Rakky Wistol

Rakky Wistol

The Grey

• Members
  • 2,874 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 10:20 AM

Right on schedule, the "This is unfair" complaints come rolling in. Got to keep up the trend with the Rebel only releases.

Good to see that the B-wing/E2 costs 1 point. So, are some of the crew members worth the 1 pt tax? Maybe. But it does prevent it from being the B-wing godsend many were claiming.

Jan Ors is okay. Sure, you can make a tanky Falcon. But is Han being your only offensive boost good enough? I'm not completely sold on her with Kyle (HWK). I use Kyle for the amazing offensive boost of TL and Focus. Not sure how often I would use Jan. An interesting option, for sure.

Kyle, I like the more I think about it. Works great with Wingman. Suddenly, a Wingman makes it so you can essentially take a Focus after you K-turn (or move fast on the HWK). I really am liking Kyle on Jan (HWK). Green move to remove her stress, gain a Focus, and then take a Focus action or Target Lock. May want to start putting the Blaster Turret on Jan...

Glad to see you notice the complaints and then go right into why people are complaining. At this point is is unfair...I'm confident FFG will turn it around but in the mean time it's hard to be excited as an imperial player...our new toys are cool, but they got new toys too and more of them and they can't share some of them with us even if they wanted to. 

I originally saw no cost on the bwing upgrade and just about flipped out but the card appears in the article for the cost of 1. 1pt tax should keep it from being too easy to abuse. But time will tell.  I doubt the rebels are going to stop getting crew any time soon.

YT's were already tanky...this could be a whole new level of tank.

The wingman interaction is great.  Wingman was already going to be powerful but now it isn't only a stress clearer but a buff.

• BattlePriest likes this

#34 Sithborg

Sithborg

• Members
  • 2,423 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 10:35 AM

Your Rebel envy is getting very, very annoying. You hold up what the Rebels are getting, while simultaneously ignoring what the Imperials are getting. As good as Keyan Farlander is, Echo is going to eat him alive. You worry about how tanky a Falcon would be with C-3PO and two evades, and say it is unfair. But have you even considered how dangerous a ship with 3 Agility is with more than one Evade? Or even free Evades to ships with high agility.

Yes, this stuff is good. But dear god, that doesn't mean the Imperials are getting shafted. Just because you can't get over your disappointment with the Imperial Aces (which is still really good), does not mean Rebels getting good stuff means Imperials are getting shafted. It is really getting old with you overblowing what the Rebels are getting.

Jan and Kyle crew are okay, at best. Jan turns offense to defense. A very dangerous proposition in this game. Especially if used on a Falcon that is half your squad. Kyle requires more synergy to work, but works best on a ship that already builds synergy. People were annoyed with the 1 pt tax on the R2 that grants an elite Talent. And that is infinitely more helpful than the B-wing/E2 will be for B-wings. Are people really going to start building 26+ pt Blue Squadron B-wings?

• Vonpenguin, Red Castle, VanorDM and 5 others like this

#35 Hexis

Hexis

• Members
  • 763 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 10:49 AM

The non-unique thing is referring to the fact that it's a mod you can equip on more than one B-Wing in a list.  Unlike • R2-D6 or any of the other unique upgrades.  It has nothing to do with what type of B-Wing you can put it on.

• Vorpal Sword, BattlePriest and ObiWonka like this

#36 Vorpal Sword

Vorpal Sword

O frabjous day!

• Members
  • 2,759 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 10:58 AM

Your Rebel envy is getting very, very annoying. You hold up what the Rebels are getting, while simultaneously ignoring what the Imperials are getting. As good as Keyan Farlander is, Echo is going to eat him alive. You worry about how tanky a Falcon would be with C-3PO and two evades, and say it is unfair. But have you even considered how dangerous a ship with 3 Agility is with more than one Evade? Or even free Evades to ships with high agility.

Yes, this stuff is good. But dear god, that doesn't mean the Imperials are getting shafted. Just because you can't get over your disappointment with the Imperial Aces (which is still really good), does not mean Rebels getting good stuff means Imperials are getting shafted. It is really getting old with you overblowing what the Rebels are getting.

Jan and Kyle crew are okay, at best. Jan turns offense to defense. A very dangerous proposition in this game. Especially if used on a Falcon that is half your squad. Kyle requires more synergy to work, but works best on a ship that already builds synergy. People were annoyed with the 1 pt tax on the R2 that grants an elite Talent. And that is infinitely more helpful than the B-wing/E2 will be for B-wings. Are people really going to start building 26+ pt Blue Squadron B-wings?

I wish I could give this post multiple likes. Rebels are one release ahead right now, and when Rebel Aces is released they'll be two releases ahead--which is exactly accounted for by the Epic releases. Does anyone think the Empire isn't getting their own Epic releases?

And in the mean time, consider that in Wave 4 the Rebellion got a cheap filler ship and an X-wing with barrel roll and access to system upgrades. That's not nothing, but the Empire's new fighters are both good candidates for Best Fighter in the Game, and one is going to be a meta-twisting bomb of a release. (I'll let y'all wonder which one I mean.)

The Empire is indeed behind by one release, but it's no longer really plausible to claim that the Rebels are getting all the shiny new toys and the Empire is getting shafted.
  • rym, LeoHowler and z0m4d like this

#37 dandirk

dandirk

• Members
  • 365 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 11:00 AM

Kir Kanos, every PTL interceptor, and many swarms would disagree with you.  The ability to convert a token into an evade (especially a stress token) would be a boon, token creation even more so, especially for interceptors.  The rebel{scum} teamwork and extra action thing is getting old (and by that I mean awesome) while the empire keeps getting abilities that negatively impact their pilots (stress). 

Prison Transport refit (title)- +1 sheild, +1 crew (may only fill with a Rebel only or Prisoner subtype crew)

Flavorful and fun!  Would have to errata the Rebel Captive to have the Prisoner subtype and create a few more.

Whether or not it is useful is not my point.

I view Jans crew ability as a way to give the evade action to rebels which generally lack that option.   Not that it wouldn't be useful to imperials.  Rebels get change focus to evade, imperials get change focus to TL or something.

It would be the same as creating an Imperial Dreis... except passing an evade.

As for other comments about complaints of unfair... So far FFG has been really good with balance, it just it looks like Imperials are more straight forward with little synergy.  Its not really too much fun to squad build compared to Rebels.

Should this be the way it is?  Could be each faction would favor a certain type of player preference...

#38 Aminar

Aminar

• Members
  • 3,110 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 11:04 AM

Whether or not it is useful is not my point.

I view Jans crew ability as a way to give the evade action to rebels which generally lack that option.   Not that it wouldn't be useful to imperials.  Rebels get change focus to evade, imperials get change focus to TL or something.

It would be the same as creating an Imperial Dreis... except passing an evade.

As for other comments about complaints of unfair... So far FFG has been really good with balance, it just it looks like Imperials are more straight forward with little synergy.  Its not really too much fun to squad build compared to Rebels.

Should this be the way it is?  Could be each faction would favor a certain type of player preference...
Rebels being more fun to squad build for has nothing to do with their effectiveness, but it is what most people are complaining about.
The Imps are fine. They have several amazing ships, and the single coolest ship in the game(The Phantom)

#39 dojimaster

dojimaster

• Members
  • 362 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 11:05 AM

thrawnlikes.jpg

Well, of course, THRAWN would like this... duh!

• Digitalkiller and AdmiralThrawn like this

#40 dvor

dvor

• Members
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 11:08 AM

And there are two of those cards in the box. Therefore it cannot possibly be unique.

Edited by dvor, 07 June 2014 - 11:08 AM.

• Aminar likes this

X-wing is played over a series of game rounds. Turn is a type of maneuver.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS