Attack Craft rules

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#41 Annaamarth

Annaamarth

• Members
  • 415 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 05:16 PM

Lightnings are a Fighter with a craft rating 5 better than the Longsword fighter, but they take a -15 penalty in void combat.  Solved?

RIP AND TEAR THROUGH THE TIDE OF BLOOD WITH BATTLESUIT PILOT. SUPLEX HIVE TYRANTS. DO WHATEVER, YOU'RE PILOTING A HUGE-ASS MECHA.

-Errant, on how Rogue Trader ought to be played

#42 ak-73

ak-73

• Members
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 01:56 AM

Well, these are the two styles of aerial warfare (dogfighting versus jousting/strafing, even if at very long range). However, the problem I have is that the vehicle stats don't really mesh up well with abstract values of the small craft rules. I am trying to reconcile that.

Not to mention the wildly differing squadron sizes. This is a problem.

Alex

Edited by ak-73, 19 June 2014 - 01:56 AM.

My 40K Blog (essentially a Best Of FFG Forums):

http://www.40kroleplay.weebly.com

House Rules, Rule Clarifications, Game Aids, New Creatures, consolidated official Deathwatch Squad Mode rules, 40K Tabletop to 40K Roleplay comversions, etc.

#43 Errant Knight

Errant Knight

• Members
  • 516 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 02:43 PM

The problem with Furies fighting in the atmosphere is their maneuverability when travelling at high veocity.  Decrease their rating.

The problem with Starhawks bombing ground targets is the difficulty they have hitting a ground target while travelling at their normally high velocity.  Reduce their strength.  Plus they also have reduced maneuverability if intercepted.  Reduce their rating, too.

The problem with Lightnings, Thunderbolts, and Marauders fighting in vacuum is that they aren't designed for it.  Sure, they're protected against the vacuum so they can launch from space, but they don't maneuver well.  Reduce their rating.  They also don't normally come equipped with the missiles needed to engage targets at the range space combat occurs.  Reduce their rating even more.

Aeronautica has a built-in advantage with those large squadrons because it's really hard to damage a large squadron to an extent that it affects their combat rating.

#44 Magellan

Magellan

• Members
  • 520 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 07:15 AM

Aye that and the fact that while you could just use space craft to shred planetary forces, what happens when they take damage or are lost? You have a reduced quantity of space craft. However if you use aeronautica then you aren't risking your starships void warfare capabilities. 

I don't even use small craft in space combat. Also, if you have aeronautica in your launch bays, you're reducing your void warfare capabilities in the first place.

Pilot tests.

A tank driver fails one and he kinda slews about. A Fury pilot fails one, in atmo, and there's a good chance they'll be lithobraking.

This is actually a good point. Despite the 'gajillions' bit, I was actually thinking more small-scale. There's very little out there that can go toe to toe with a fury, and if you've got a whole party of qualified pilots, you basically own the skies.

I am the latest model of a Fabricator-General
My body isn't nearly as much animal as mineral
My learnedness is legend; my accomplishments historical
For hereteks and aliens my hatred's categorical

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS