Anyone run a Store Campaign?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Cubanboy

Cubanboy

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 09:23 PM

I am looking to try to help start up a campaign for my store, though I feel at root this will play out like any standard, " here is a map, fight, win control" deal anyone have any good thoughts on the matter? The gaming group is small about 6 consistent players if that helps.
I have ships.

#2 Babaganoosh

Babaganoosh

• Members
  • 167 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 10:25 PM

I'm working on a new campaign system that I think could be pretty cool.  I haven't run it or anything, but I'll give you the link to the google drive file with the WIP.  It should be public.  Feel free to use elements in your campaign if you'd like.  The missions aren't ready yet but the core elements are there.

Campaign

*Edit: Link updated with new version of campaign (June 8)

Edited by Babaganoosh, 08 June 2014 - 08:12 AM.

• Cubanboy and XAQT78 like this

#3 Blail Blerg

Blail Blerg

• Members
  • 794 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 02:20 AM

I'm working on a new campaign system that I think could be pretty cool.  I haven't run it or anything, but I'll give you the link to the google drive file with the WIP.  It should be public.  Feel free to use elements in your campaign if you'd like.  The missions aren't ready yet but the core elements are there.

Campaign

I really like some of your ideas!  

I'm thinking I might do something similar except much more simplified.  Goodness knows I gripe about complicated rules too much.  I really like the recover and stuff.  

I might try and play around with this where you dont get to replace pilots.  you lose them, you lose them.  

• Babaganoosh and Cubanboy like this

ROLL RED, STAY THIRSTY FRIENDS. 

#4 KillMaimBurn

KillMaimBurn

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 02:26 AM

I must confess to not reading them myself yet but my group is going to be using elements of the rebel transport additional rules to start a summer campaign shortly ending with a death star run on a custom built table. Might be worth having a look at those, and apparently the next set of store kits (one with Biggs pilot card) will also come with a guide and tips on running stuff, but I think it's more to do with leagues than campaigns.
  • Cubanboy likes this
Imperials: 7 ties, 2 advanced, 6 interceptors, 1 firespray, 2 shuttle,
2 bombers, 3 Defender, 3 Phantom
Rebel Scum: 3 x wing, 1 y wing, 1 a wing, 1 hwk, 1 b wing, 1 Falcon,
1 Transport, 1 e wing, 1 z95

#5 Old Adept

Old Adept

• Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 02:45 AM

I think anything that creates more mission based games as opposed to 6 asteroid death-match games is great. Completing the mission can be quite the challenge at times. Combined with a story based narrative that can inspire new missions based on outcomes of each weeks battles as you go along makes for a great gaming group experience. They also make for great battle reports, keep us posted.
  • Cubanboy likes this
I have NOTHING clever to say.
NO ONE cares about what ships I have.
NO ONE cares if I win or loose.

#6 Damoel

Damoel

• Members
  • 382 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 02:51 AM

I'm working on a system based on control of maps. Rather then messing with points and such, we're working on rules for supply chains. Limiting the number of ships folks can field of certain types, based on whether they control the sectors where they are built.

Fleet timez!

Anarchists: 3 A-Wing, 3 B-Wing, 2 Y-Wing, 6 X-Wing, 3 Z-95, 3 E-Wing, 2 HWK290, 2 YT-1300, 2 GR-75, 1 CR90

Good Guys: 6 TIE/LN, 1 TIE/AD, 3 TIE/D, 6 TIE/IN, 4 TIE/SA, 4 Phantom V38, 2 Lambda Shuttle, 2 Firespray-31

#7 Mikael Hasselstein

Mikael Hasselstein

• Members
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 03:10 AM

I'm working on a similar concept, but much more complicated. It'll be online, with an online engine that will track losses, experience, requisitions, and provide a mission tree that neither player will know in advance. Anyone with an internet connection should be able to use it. (I say 'should', because I don't want to tempt the internet gremlins.)

But it's definitely a WIP, not ready for review yet. Stay tuned.

• Revanchist, Babaganoosh and Cubanboy like this

#8 PS10

PS10

• Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 04:15 AM

https://www.facebook...56121514614626/

In this facebook group there is info on a completed campaign and one currently running.

• Cubanboy likes this

Arvel Crynyd - "AAAAaaaahHHHH!"

Green Squadron

#9 Babaganoosh

Babaganoosh

• Members
  • 167 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 06:12 AM

Campaign

I'm thinking I might do something similar except much more simplified.  Goodness knows I gripe about complicated rules too much.  I really like the recover and stuff.  

I might try and play around with this where you dont get to replace pilots.  you lose them, you lose them.  

Great!  Please try anything that looks good to you, and let me know how it goes.  This is still highly experimental and I would love to hear what you think after playing with it.  I personally think that having perishable pilots is going to make players more cagey and less reckless in the way they fly their ships, and I think that could be fun.  But I don't want people getting too conservative with their flying, either.  

I'm working on a similar concept, but much more complicated. It'll be online, with an online engine that will track losses, experience, requisitions, and provide a mission tree that neither player will know in advance. Anyone with an internet connection should be able to use it. (I say 'should', because I don't want to tempt the internet gremlins.)

I don't know if you're referring to my campaign, but that sounds very promising!  I was planning to make printable pilot and ship trackers, but a web-based system would be much better.  I would suggest making every additional layer optional, if possible, that way players can play with as many or as few additional rules as they like.  Please feel free to plunder my ideas as much as you like.  

I'm working on a system based on control of maps. Rather then messing with points and such, we're working on rules for supply chains. Limiting the number of ships folks can field of certain types, based on whether they control the sectors where they are built.

One thing I'm trying to move away from is the traditional risk-like system of territory control.  Instead of holding territory for bonuses and fighting back and forth over it, what I plan to set up in my campaign is a system where players gain access to progressively higher-stakes missions, eventually unlocking access to a campaign-ending mission where the 2+ players bring all their surviving forces.  

It would play out something like this:  

First a skirmish is fought, with standard rules.  The skirmish battle unlocks a 'strike' mission, and an 'ambush' mission.  Players are free to choose these missions going forward, but not required to; they can play as many skirmish games as they want, or as many iterations of any other mission they unlock.  

The strike mission further unlocks an 'assault' mission and 'resupply' mission, while the 'ambush' mission unlocks  'rescue' and 'assassinate' missions.  Some of these missions would have effects on your pilot and ship availability going forward.  For example the resupply mission could give you access to more upgrades.  

The players need to win a certain number of high-end missions to unlock the 'final push' mission, where they assault the enemy base.  

TL;DR

Basically what I'm trying to replicate is the sort of plot arc you might see in a X-Wing: Rogue Squadron novel, where the squadron works it's way up to  a final clash with the enemy through small but escalating engagements.  I don't feel like territory control fits nicely with the small-unit games in XWM.

• Cubanboy likes this

#10 mightyspacepope

mightyspacepope

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 08:17 AM

Here's one that I run at my store:

https://docs.google....dit?usp=sharing

It has gone very well, but I do intend to streamline a few things.

• Cubanboy likes this

#11 Mikael Hasselstein

Mikael Hasselstein

• Members
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 02:09 PM

This is good stuff!!

How much demand is there for this kind of play from your local store communities? Thus far at mine, it's just standard games.

Edited by Mikael Hasselstein, 07 June 2014 - 03:03 PM.

• Cubanboy likes this

#12 eagletsi111

eagletsi111

• Members
  • 354 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 03:43 PM

Here is my stores campaign:

http://www.boardgame...x-wing-campaign

• Cubanboy likes this

#13 Blail Blerg

Blail Blerg

• Members
  • 794 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 03:58 PM

Campaign

Great!  Please try anything that looks good to you, and let me know how it goes.  This is still highly experimental and I would love to hear what you think after playing with it.  I personally think that having perishable pilots is going to make players more cagey and less reckless in the way they fly their ships, and I think that could be fun.  But I don't want people getting too conservative with their flying, either.  

I don't know if you're referring to my campaign, but that sounds very promising!  I was planning to make printable pilot and ship trackers, but a web-based system would be much better.  I would suggest making every additional layer optional, if possible, that way players can play with as many or as few additional rules as they like.  Please feel free to plunder my ideas as much as you like.  

Thank you.  Sorry I should have asked if it was okay if I played with some of your ideas.   

I did some theory-testing last night.  Where I had a bunch of ships and made a few mock fights (ex 4x wings vs 8 tie fighters) and some random wins and losses.  

First thing, the requisition upgrades are a good idea, but also hard to remember.  Increasing PS is also actually interestingly kind of a pain.  As you have to manually create a list for each new game that is custom and not relevant to the game stats.  

Also, the more experience pilots will quickly outclass less experienced pilots.  Adding 3 PS a mission is a lot.  So I did a thing where a squad that is sent on a mission has to "return" during the next mission.  So they can't be used until the next mission ends.  

Making a squad slowly die off is tricky.  As rewards tend to skew things very heavily in the victors favor, but then, you still want to reward them.  

Imperials tends to have more ships and lose more ships that cost less.  Felt more balanced to give some amount of points back to repair ships instead.  

Your reroll idea is on the right track i think.  But star wars dice tend to be really cold or really hot.  Very one-sided because of how much a result means.  I was trying to mitigate that a little by actually reducing the rewards and having more chance to save a ship by giving the victor the chance to reroll all non-hits, and the defender to reroll half rounded down.  

#14 Babaganoosh

Babaganoosh

• Members
  • 167 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 04:30 PM

Campaign

Thank you.  Sorry I should have asked if it was okay if I played with some of your ideas.   

I did some theory-testing last night.  Where I had a bunch of ships and made a few mock fights (ex 4x wings vs 8 tie fighters) and some random wins and losses.  

First thing, the requisition upgrades are a good idea, but also hard to remember.  Increasing PS is also actually interestingly kind of a pain.  As you have to manually create a list for each new game that is custom and not relevant to the game stats.  

Also, the more experience pilots will quickly outclass less experienced pilots.  Adding 3 PS a mission is a lot.  So I did a thing where a squad that is sent on a mission has to "return" during the next mission.  So they can't be used until the next mission ends.  

Making a squad slowly die off is tricky.  As rewards tend to skew things very heavily in the victors favor, but then, you still want to reward them.  

Imperials tends to have more ships and lose more ships that cost less.  Felt more balanced to give some amount of points back to repair ships instead.  

Your reroll idea is on the right track i think.  But star wars dice tend to be really cold or really hot.  Very one-sided because of how much a result means.  I was trying to mitigate that a little by actually reducing the rewards and having more chance to save a ship by giving the victor the chance to reroll all non-hits, and the defender to reroll half rounded down.  

Thanks for the feedback; I'm going to start a thread to discuss this campaign project so we don't hijack Cubanboy's thread with my pet project.

• Cubanboy likes this

#15 Blail Blerg

Blail Blerg

• Members
  • 794 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 04:34 PM

Oh.  Good idea.  Sorry Cubanboy.  

• Cubanboy likes this

#16 Cubanboy

Cubanboy

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 08:30 PM

Hijack away :-)

Edited by Cubanboy, 07 June 2014 - 08:30 PM.

I have ships.

#17 Cubanboy

Cubanboy

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 08:31 PM

Oh.  Good idea.  Sorry Cubanboy.

This is an open forum for X-wing stuff, friend there is ZERO need to apology.
I have ships.

#18 hecabomb

hecabomb

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 05:20 AM

I came up with a Risk-like game structure but never went ahead with it because we're still a growing community and this requires at least 4 dedicated players.

The basic gist is:
Each Faction has a home world.
Map is borrowed from any of the SW Risk games.
Each Faction has 2 Armies.
You take turns to move around the map.
Attacking each other becomes a 100pt game.
All Armies start out with unnamed pilots to build lists from. You may only change your list once per round.
Different Territories grant you access to different upgrades and pilots.
Event Cards may be played to impact list building restrictions.
Win condition is the capture of the Enemy Home World.

The main idea for this is to get people to do some really crazy list building. The campaign does not tamper with the core 100pt game but encourages you to try different things via list restrictions (blockades, sabotage etc).

I was also trying to avoid a mission based structure so that the campaign could be easily balanced.

Still hope to try it once we get enough players.

Edited by hecabomb, 08 June 2014 - 05:25 AM.

• Cubanboy likes this

#19 Cubanboy

Cubanboy

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 05:47 AM

I came up with a Risk-like game structure but never went ahead with it because we're still a growing community and this requires at least 4 dedicated players.

The basic gist is:
Each Faction has a home world.
Map is borrowed from any of the SW Risk games.
Each Faction has 2 Armies.
You take turns to move around the map.
Attacking each other becomes a 100pt game.
All Armies start out with unnamed pilots to build lists from. You may only change your list once per round.
Different Territories grant you access to different upgrades and pilots.
Event Cards may be played to impact list building restrictions.
Win condition is the capture of the Enemy Home World.

The main idea for this is to get people to do some really crazy list building. The campaign does not tamper with the core 100pt game but encourages you to try different things via list restrictions (blockades, sabotage etc).

I was also trying to avoid a mission based structure so that the campaign could be easily balanced.

Still hope to try it once we get enough players.

I would pick up an older copy of the game civilization it comes with 3 boards and is about 6 feet long, if you want to have the ships on it vs a risk board which you need proxys.

http://www.ogrecave....s02/civ-big.jpg

I have ships.

#20 Mikael Hasselstein

Mikael Hasselstein

• Members
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 11:02 AM

Cubanboy,

Are you bringing this idea to your FLGS out of your own initiative, or do you get the idea that there's a demand for it that you would be filling. One thing that I'm afraid of is that I will put in a lot of work, and then find that people are not all that interested and/or somewhat intimidated by the complexity.

Interesting. How would you represent the blockades and sabotage?

Hm, I wonder if mission style would be less balanced. I suppose it wouldn't if your system ensures 100 pnt battles. How would you maintain the balance, once the balance starts to get less balanced at the higher level? I'm not pretending that my system would ensure that 100 pnt balance, though I think I can have it structured so that I ensure that the missions present a scenario where even the underdog has a competitive chance of victory, even if that chance is not the same as the upperdog.

One thing I'm trying to move away from is the traditional risk-like system of territory control.  Instead of holding territory for bonuses and fighting back and forth over it, what I plan to set up in my campaign is a system where players gain access to progressively higher-stakes missions, eventually unlocking access to a campaign-ending mission where the 2+ players bring all their surviving forces.  

It would play out something like this:  

First a skirmish is fought, with standard rules.  The skirmish battle unlocks a 'strike' mission, and an 'ambush' mission.  Players are free to choose these missions going forward, but not required to; they can play as many skirmish games as they want, or as many iterations of any other mission they unlock. 

Yes, this is indeed similar to what I'm doing. However, I'm trying to go lore-heavy (some might call that lore 'fluff', but IMO, if you're calling it 'fluff', you're probably not in the right mindset for the game. ;) ), and embedding it into a solid storyline.

What kind of set-ups are you thinking for your 'strike' and 'ambush' missions. How will these be structured differently on the battlefield?

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS